help :)

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Yayo01

Post by Yayo01 »

i ripped the battlemaster from C&C generals :oops:.....since im very unfamiliar about spring model settings so....can anyone convert this model so i can use it in TA Spring?
:-)

http://www.echomods.com/chris/3D%20corn ... master.rar

thanks in advance.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

We don't have any experianced model rippers on these forums to my knowledge. It used to be virtually impossible for TA so people didn't do it very often. It's a little more plausalbe now that we're working with S3O, but you'll still have to totally redo the animation to the spring format, so it still isn't optimum.

To be honest I'm not even sure that you can properly decompile C&C generals models to something that can be exported as a .obj
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Does generals actually use 3DS or is that the result of your rip?

With the S3O format, all you need is write a script for a tga+3ds file and you have a new unit.
If you stay away from copyrighted C&C models you could get quite far with that.
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

cooooool... even i could do a unit from that (i believe)
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

its done :P the tank is ingame 8)
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

screenshot
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

And a new era decends on the users of the game we call TA Spring...
Argh

Post by Argh »

'cept for the small problem that taking content from C&C Generals like that is copyright infringment and theft of intellectual property...

Sorry folks, but that's a big, big no-no. Make your own models, or you stand a fairly high chance of getting Spring and FU shut down, if they distribute your "work".
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Ha ha ha, lazy bastards removed the underside faces!

(don't start)
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Caydr wrote:Ha ha ha, lazy bastards removed the underside faces!

(don't start)
Woah, statements from opposite land!
smoth

Re: help :)

Post by smoth »

Yayo01 wrote:i ripped the battlemaster from C&C generals :oops:.....since im very unfamiliar about spring model settings so....can anyone convert this model so i can use it in TA Spring?
:-)

http://www.echomods.com/chris/3D%20corn ... master.rar

thanks in advance.
Dude, do not procede to steal from a game.
Yayo01

Post by Yayo01 »

Ea support modding :P why EA hasnt sued me when i ripped some BFME's models and put it in ZH? heck i ripped some stuff in other EA made games but i credit them :P

btw Masse can u hand me the model? :-) since i want to drive battlemasters since generals came out :P adn what happend to the house colors? O_o

heres a pic of the battlemaster in generals including the housecolors

PS: that pic shows a zh bug :p

ill script the thing myself with help of some tuts :lol:
Argh

Post by Argh »

:roll:

Look, we're just saying it simply... if you're going to rip off other people's content, do not put it on FileUniverse, nor expect the rest of us to be OK with this.

Spring is nice enough of a game engine that it might well be perceived as a real threat to commercial games, once mods using the new features start coming out.

Don't do this, unless you're prepared to host the downloads yourself... you cannot put the SY's project into dangerous waters just because you feel like driving some tank from Generals in Spring, k?
Yayo01

Post by Yayo01 »

Argh wrote::roll:

Look, we're just saying it simply... if you're going to rip off other people's content, do not put it on FileUniverse, nor expect the rest of us to be OK with this.

Spring is nice enough of a game engine that it might well be perceived as a real threat to commercial games, once mods using the new features start coming out.

Don't do this, unless you're prepared to host the downloads yourself... you cannot put the SY's project into dangerous waters just because you feel like driving some tank from Generals in Spring, k?
roger that ;) the battlemaster will go to my personal mod only! :-) Kill me if u see my mod in fileuniverse :P
Argh

Post by Argh »

Good enough for me. Hosting from a private site should also give the SY's some protection if you want to share it with others. It's when it starts being put on FU or up on the Wiki that I get worried.

I've seen mods that got away with a lot before- the Free Worlds mod for Freelancer immediately comes to mind- but they've had to be very, very careful, communicated with IP owners, and made sure that they were kosher before releasing their mod.

It's not that I want to shut down every modder out there who's using somebody else's IP, really, I'm OK with that, so long as people are careful, credit correctly, and understand that when you're giving away somebody else's work... it'd better be justifiable.

Spring's pretty special. It's a lightyear ahead of just about any other Open Source game project I know about. We need to protect it, especially while the next-gen mods that will be blowing everybody away are being developed, so that we can all enjoy the fruits of our collective labor and play some awesome games.
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

uhm... i had to remove the team colours cause they verent on the uv map
so i couldnt add texture/nor team colour on them
but i did improve their textures 8)
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Taking gamedata from other games can only be done if you ask the author first. Someone should try getting permission from the mod author to take the gamedata from a generals mod for example. As long as you use the modded data and not the generals copyright stuff that's ok afaik.
Yayo01

Post by Yayo01 »

Masse wrote:uhm... i had to remove the team colours cause they verent on the uv map
so i couldnt add texture/nor team colour on them
but i did improve their textures 8)
oooh i forgot to include teh team color texture :oops: btw can u pm the tank :)
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

What I'm considering doing is asking permission of a few General's mod team s to use their content in a mod. Interestingly enough, there is a really nice looking Starcraft mod for Generals, with different names for all the units. Heh.

Return to “Art & Modelling”