Question with UV Mapping and spring

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

I've always, ALWAYS, used 3DSMAX to model.

What I can do:

Using 3DSMAX, no problem.
Exporting to a *.obj (wavefront) no problem.
Making a UV map with UVMapper, no problem.
Texturing the output map, no problem.
Importing back to max, then applying map, no problem.

From there I ask, What other "important" parts do spring models have?
a base plate?
a hitbox?
a base point?
etc.
and how do I define those? any quick pointers?

Now to put the models into spring... do I just simply export as a S3O and give the exported file to the map maker and assume he knows what to do with it??? or do I need to bundle the texture with the model first, with the groud base plates and stuff?.... I'm kinda in the dark....

simple step by step checklist would be great. don't worry about tutoring how to map, how to model, and all that garbage...

-Lathan
smoth

Post by smoth »

spring grabs the unit dims from footprint for it's hitbox.. so you do not have to worry about that.

The baseplate is an OTA leftover.. ignore it ever existing.

It is good to package the textures(there are 2 of them) and model together with an understandable naming convention.

*edit*

Oh and the collision sphere can be set in upspring
*end edit*
-Smoth
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

I've been wondering about that. Since I still haven't bveen able to put by cube in Spring.
You can always load the unit in Upspring and see how it looks.
When textured adn all, it works good. (tutorial about Upspring can be found in the Upspring folder)
The unit textures are to be places in the ' unit textures' folder. (for all mods exept XTA, that is in the mod file)

My hints ends here, and if you get your unit to work. Tell me how :wink:
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

allrighty, I'll just generate models with corresponding textures... thats not too bad...

is it possible however, to UV map most of the model, and just assign textures to the faces you do not wish to UV map? or does that get too complicated for the spring engine, thus it will have to play with more than 1 texture on 1 solid object... ...

say, if you with the UV map the main building faces, drawing on windows, doors, and damage and stuff.. but the antennae on the top, and the sidewalk, or something, just using a pattern generic texture....

its easier to sort out the faces on UVMapper if you don't UV map EVERYTHING... espically on larger models...
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

I have another question....

what are the limits and reccomended UV map sizes... for units...

say PeeWee sized model (32x32?, 64x64?)

a Goliath sized, 64x64?, 96x96?

A factory sized, 128x128?

Also, is there a limit? do I need to stick to hex numbers? say can I use 200x200? instead of 256x256?

Finally, do I have to stick to squares? or can I use maps like 128x256?

just more thoughts... :?
Runecrafter

Post by Runecrafter »

The limit on sizes to my knowledge is 2048x2048, though I do not know if the maps need to be square or not.
smoth

Post by smoth »

LathanStanley wrote:allrighty, I'll just generate models with corresponding textures... thats not too bad...

is it possible however, to UV map most of the model, and just assign textures to the faces you do not wish to UV map? or does that get too complicated for the spring engine, thus it will have to play with more than 1 texture on 1 solid object... ...

say, if you with the UV map the main building faces, drawing on windows, doors, and damage and stuff.. but the antennae on the top, and the sidewalk, or something, just using a pattern generic texture....

its easier to sort out the faces on UVMapper if you don't UV map EVERYTHING... espically on larger models...
in short, no spring only supports single textures outside of the shader texture
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

ok cool, 1 tex each, I have a HUUUGE map to play with, I doubt I ever use one that big...

but whats the scale??

1 unit on 3dsmax is equal to?? 1 foot of height?

can the models be re-scaled easially withough screwing up the UV maps inside the UPSpring program??

cause as I see it now, there's no set scale for anything....

:|
smoth

Post by smoth »

there is I can send you my s30 with a pile of 6ft(2meter) tall men in it.

Also, yeah you can resize in upspring... but I'd export to it till I get the right size..once you get the size down you will be fine and that will save you a step in the end. Please after you get the 3dsmax grid scale down, post it in the wiki. that would help a lot of modelers.
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

hmm... ok, send me a linky to the 6ft man, or to a peewee or something we can use as a standard
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

upspring can be used to scale so I wouldn't worry about it.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Return to “Art & Modelling”