Skinning tutorial, step by step. - Page 2

Skinning tutorial, step by step.

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Eaglebird

Post by Eaglebird »

Zenka wrote:
Eaglebird wrote:Just tell me one thing, is it impossible to use the old .3do models by converting them or archiving them somehow, or is it just a complex set of steps? :P
There isn't a simple converter program. But, as you guesses, indeed a list of complex steps. Teaking in account you have to retexture the entire model.
As you are probably aware, s3o uses UV-mapping. While 3do uses per-face-texturing. <eaning if you want to convert 3do to s3o, you'll have to UV-map the unit and texture it. Other then that, there isn't much converting to be involved. You can export the objects, texture them and put it back together.

However, it is more usefull also to remake the model with more detail. then just spend time in retexturing them.
That's what I had read about so far, the UV mapping is getting me, that's why I found this. :P
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

There's a converter plugin for Milkshape that makes UVmapped models out of 3dos. It's rather shitty though, because it simply takes each face, straightens it, and puts on it a texture compiled of all the individual textures of the unit. The results are good, even renderable, but it's impossible to edit them.
Eaglebird

Post by Eaglebird »

Sean Mirrsen wrote:There's a converter plugin for Milkshape that makes UVmapped models out of 3dos. It's rather shitty though, because it simply takes each face, straightens it, and puts on it a texture compiled of all the individual textures of the unit. The results are good, even renderable, but it's impossible to edit them.
Sad thing is I can't import TA .sdo's with Milkshape.
dcore221

Re: Skinning tutorial, step by step.

Post by dcore221 »

nice skinning tutorial you have here :D
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Re: Skinning tutorial, step by step.

Post by KaiserJ »

locked for irrelevance.

new modelers seeking a tutorial could check here

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=57

Return to “Art & Modelling”