Using 0-footprint features as detail-enhancers

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Slamoid

Post by Slamoid »

Here's some feature examples that could be used to enhance detail on maps. I'm very dissapointed to see only one map (The one with crystals) use features to much of an extent as of yet.

Why not have the units' tracks/treads/legs sink into soft sand or snow? Use a feature to cover the cround, also adding to the detail.

Have a Castle? Why not add some terrain differences.. Maybe a small pad covering the ground so your units don't leave dirty treadmarks on your base, and increase the texture resolution in the area?

Using 3D objects to cover ground can greatly increase texture resolution by using a tilable texture. Use features for Roads including stop lights, mailboxes, ect.

I'd be happy to release a common feature pack if I only knew how to convert my models. I can make the FBI's myself, but model conversion to TA/SPR has always eluded me.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Dont suppose its occured that some of us might be doing this already??

(It dont always quite work as well as u might think BTW)

aGorm
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Next time I do OTA style metal patches I'll do them as features that extend below ground level.
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

what if the ground gets deformed?
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Hence my comment....

aGorm

Return to “Art & Modelling”