Random WIP 2016 - Page 4

Random WIP 2016

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: Random WIP 2016

Post by FLOZi »

Copycat :P :lol:
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

You got to attack in 45 degs and avoid the stripes of death..

Training player-mons to do ridiculous handstands.. im all for it.
LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

Just a few models I made while trying out the atlas/lego approach. It was extremely enjoyable having the ability to get many different models in a rather short time. Not sure if I will ever use them for anything, but the creation in itself was well worth the time spend on it.

PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Lord Muffe- we want pictures of those tanks ingame. Then we want the game.
And that spacegame... we want that too.

:D
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

I was doing a tech study lately. Actually, Spring is doing pretty well concerning eye candy, the right highly detailed models are also missing though :wink: . The only thing that is really missing is IK animation to compete with enigines like Starcraft 2.

When placing Spring units into Starcraft 2 you can observe, that much more atmospheric light is applied to the models. This can also be done in Spring of course.

However, the Spring.SetSunLighting values do not seem to applied to groundplates (and normal mapped units - I guess that can be fixed somewhere in the shader or gadget). Looks more like a bug to me or is it something else?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

?
Inverse Kinematiks are in 104.0 if dev willz it.

https://github.com/PicassoCT/spring

Its pure inverse kinematiks though- for decent animations in between i have to refer you to Anarchid
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

PicassoCT wrote:?
Inverse Kinematiks are in 104.0 if dev willz it.

https://github.com/PicassoCT/spring

Its pure inverse kinematiks though- for decent animations in between i have to refer you to Anarchid
These are totally amazing news. Do you guys mind sharing a demo?
smoth

Post by smoth »

I am more bothered by our lack of support for translucency and mesh based levels. You can make the models as pretty as a robot can be, the level format requires inordinate work to make a good looking level. there have been several attempts, http://ludumdare.com/compo/author/springcabal/.I have no idea how to suggest it get fixed. Inbefore some engine dev tells me I am doing it wrong.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

Actually I never tried creating a map. But I totally see your point about mesh based levels. Especially for cliffs, buildings, etc. this would make things easier and more prettier. Gravitas actually did quite a good job there.

I totally missed Zeus vs. Bunnies on Ludum Dare btw. :roll:
smoth

Post by smoth »

yeah, but spring has issues, even with stuff I did for parts needed: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-3 ... &uid=52862

I spent near a day's worth of time slowly adjusting the walls.I tried using an object to deform, which worked fine on placement but when loaded in game there were these SUPER thin walls. So at the end of the day, I prebuilt a level and just nudged the walls along to get them as close as I could.

I would love to be able to use a hybrid approach, where the ground is a height field based mesh with the walls being mesh based and COMPLETELY impassible by most things with fliers being obviously able or even jump units using move control able to move over.

however, best I have been able to do was this map:
http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-ma ... tal-harbor
which used terrain based vertical walls. I would have loved to be able to use mesh+ height to make the buildings block LOS and may soon try that. that way units can walk on the roofs.

However, any sort of depression runs into issues.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Actually, even after Black Mescaline- im against 3D Meshes.. the reason beeing, that they are static. One of the real big and Unique elements of spring is its terraformable terrain. You give that up or limit it with static meshes.

The best solution would be a working compromise like this:
Feature(s) recive a third texture which can contain the following information
+ the info how heigh the terrain will be terraformed to meet up - or overlay. (green)
+ where the terrain below will be invisible (alpha -alpha+1)
+ where the terrain below will be deformable (alpha+1 -alphaMax)
+ on channel to indicate feature-normals as walkable surface (for future use - blue)

As long as the feature is visible, all
On destruction, deformation, the feature vannishes and the deformed heightmap remains.

This allows for
+backwards Compatability
+ Ease of use in Editors, place a feature and the engine adapts the terrain too it
+ polygon Mapping
+ deformable terrain
+ preventing information duplication
+ climbable buildings, cliffs, etc.. today, and even one day without half sunken in robot legs

if expanded to buildings, it would allow for Elevators and terraindecals..
smoth

Post by smoth »

reread my post, battleforge used a hybrid approach which would allow us to keep our deform-able heightfield
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Features can have decals!
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Features have decals..

The devs secrets are out.. the old enemy performance shall suffer and be brought to its knees. The demons of the old work, shall be send to the mines to harvest precious nanoseconds from the performance moria.

In other news "Hunters" remodeld..

They join the Journeys
Attachments
andThenTheHunterCameAndAteTheWulf.jpg
(36.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet
smoth

Post by smoth »

Anarchid wrote:Image
Features can have decals!
now how do I place them in a way that allows me to make impassible (to land units) rock walls? Is there a way to fix it?
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

smoth wrote:now how do I place them in a way that allows me to make impassible (to land units) rock walls? Is there a way to fix it?
To fix what?

Features with collisions enabled will prevent other things with enabled collisions from passing, but not from pathing as far as i know. You can always paint some unpathable terrain type beneath though, similar to how Area17 heatrays worked.
LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

PicassoCT wrote:Lord Muffe- we want pictures of those tanks ingame. Then we want the game.
And that spacegame... we want that too.

:D
soooo ... what you are telling me, is that I should start yet another project? Can do ;)

Destroyer for another new faction. Quite heavily inspired by Fractured Space.

ISEG-Destoyer.jpg
(518.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

This one would soo much benefit from material-textures
smoth

Post by smoth »

Anarchid wrote:
smoth wrote:now how do I place them in a way that allows me to make impassible (to land units) rock walls? Is there a way to fix it?
To fix what?

Features with collisions enabled will prevent other things with enabled collisions from passing, but not from pathing as far as i know. You can always paint some unpathable terrain type beneath though, similar to how Area17 heatrays worked.
lua defined area or it has to be part of the map?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Finnished Hunter
Attachments
screen00072.jpg
(459.97 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “Art & Modelling”