Random WIP 2015+

Random WIP 2015+

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Random WIP 2015+

Post by Forboding Angel »

News post is here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+Evolutionr ... Hx4eG7Ngbi

But basically, jumpjet tech for evo:

So far these are all of the units planned for this tech. They are all bi-ped units and all of them have jumpjets.

Currently it is planned that this tech will specialize in guerrilla warfare and do rather poorly in a straight up fight. They will be relying on their speed and jumpjet abilities to perform hit and run attacks and remain a constant irritant on the battlefield.

I'm not sure when these will be ready to go, but just having the models done is a pretty big step. Next I have to tackle the scripting and actually rigging them in upspring so they can be used ingame. So the ETA is "Soon(TM)"!

Because I love TA, I have ripped off the kbot factory, all the way down to their names.

Framer (Builder):

Peewee:

Rocko (It's actually gonna be a combination rocko/jethro (those should have been one unit in the first place anyway):

Sniper:

Thud:

Will they function exactly like their TA counterparts? Nah, probably not, but it will be similar enough that they will be recognizable.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Re: Random WIP 2015+

Post by raaar »

that's nice.
Last edited by raaar on 09 Jan 2015, 02:11, edited 1 time in total.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Hey maybe you could get familiar with the game again instead of relying on faulty year old information, how about that?

Green is teamcolor in these, and because science and fiction.

Green circle.

Why would that matter?

Don't really care about the bottom half. It's pretty much never seen and the turrets are the focus.

What are you talking about?

6 barrel peewee, 1 weapon that alternates all 6 barrels at 0.1 refire rate (alternating sides that the shot comes from of course).

Wtf are you even talking about?

Wtf are you even talking about?

Because snake is fast, light and can't endure a fight vs a recluse or a kite 1v1 but has more overall damage output and less hp, and because balance.

Hey maybe you should stop taking general jabs at a game you haven't played in forever and clearly do not understand?
gajop

Post by gajop »

Just a reminder, this is a thread to post WIP, not discuss game design...
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I didn't start it -_-
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

nevermind

EDIT: removed the criticism on the previous post and just left the generic "nice" first impression.
Last edited by raaar on 09 Jan 2015, 02:12, edited 1 time in total.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Are they different sizes? Those large wings could make the silhouettes hard to distinguish. I like the size of the guns.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

They are all roughly the same size (modeled the same size... ingame sizes will differ a bit). What I was going for was pattern recognition with teamcolor being different on each one and the gun barrels themselves being the biggest and most obvious difference.

Notice that they are essentially gun barrels on legs. Keep in mind the universe that you're working with here. It really doesn't need to make sense. Fwiw, if you want to go canon, the only units that have Immians actually inside are the builders. The rest are just remote controlled (from a story sense this is why there can only be so many units on the battlefield at a time and why army is so expendable). I had actually planned to do a whole story section talking about how armies worked but I figured no one really gave 2 craps lol

From top down the wings are actually largely invisible as they are very thin. I mean you can see them, but they won't get in the way visually.

It's worth noting that these guys are turret=false (this is for gameplay reasons). This tech is meant to be the tech that people who love to micro units like crazy will LURVE.

Hopefully I'll have these guys ingame semi-soon so I can make a vid of how they are supposed to work.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

My annual broken gravity balance photoshopped image is rendered moot by the addition of supporting jetpacks, congratulations
zoggop

Post by zoggop »

generated with lua
they're not stamps, really! :?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

zoggop wrote:generated with lua

wee - random generated moonmap...
we can have codez? want to add voronoi canyons..
zoggop

Post by zoggop »

be warned it's about as WIPy as it gets
https://github.com/zoggop/Loony
to make a meteor hold down comma and move the mouse until you have the radius of the projectile you want and release. to make a meteor shower /luaui loony shower <number> <mindiameter> <maxdiameter>

edit: ok i put it on github, so that you don't download a broken version that i saved
Last edited by zoggop on 07 Feb 2015, 03:50, edited 1 time in total.
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

zoggop wrote:generated with lua
Not bad! Have you tried to play some game on that map? Can you provide packed version of that map on springfiles?
zoggop

Post by zoggop »

lol, it would play pretty badly, as it has no metal and is randomly generated :-) i'll put something on springfiles once i make something playable with it. could go two routes with it: either make a procedural crater map, with a texture that looks inoffensive (but not good) whatever topography it's on, or use this crater generator to export a heightmap and attribute map for L3DT to make a proper texture for a static map.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

and while all the other bitches where busy bitching.. i cooked something up

where there is no fire, there once was fire- and will be a ash and burned ground decal..

PS: this will later use lups.. CEG Fire is suprisingly performant though. But not pretty
Attachments
screen00240.jpg
The attachment’s file size is too large, the maximum upload size is 2 MB... i remember AF crying because my big file size hurt his phone.. good thing this file limit
(1.95 MiB) Not downloaded yet
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

that looks good. Needs some smoke though.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

the problem with smoke is- it takes view.. i have done that, been there.. and im through with it..
smoke only makes sense in a close up view, when you watch the battlefield for aesthetic reasons.. my smoking buildings and wreckage become a strategic problem ingame- im okay with it.. hell i actually find that interesting
but here.. i dont know...

look at zero-k.. there napalm could have had smoke like a ashtray on fire - but they decided against it. Some Special Effects are good for spectrators, hollywood in general, but bad for a general..

This is one of them..
Attachments
Draftbattleroom.jpg
(150.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
code_man

Post by code_man »

CAUTION CLASSIFIED MATERIAL
UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS WILL BE MET WITH LETHAL FORCE
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED
Attachments
screen00950.jpg
(488.94 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screen00947.jpg
(473.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

In Order to impress (and to keep chicken aka varyfoo numbers low).. the varyfoo merge to a bigger form.. the Varyfoo_Kaijoo

And yes, that thing is exceptionally big..

Your mom said that too
Attachments
VaryFoo_Kaijjoo.jpg
(50.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Floris

Post by Floris »

nice cube for scale...

(makes me think about having a widget that displays a banana/human for scale next to a very zoomed on unit)

Return to “Art & Modelling”