Cell size for 3DS max?

Cell size for 3DS max?

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Zhall

Cell size for 3DS max?

Post by Zhall »

Does anyone know a reliable cube size that matches the cell size in spring?

Right now I'm using a 250 mm cube to represent a 2x2x2 cell area in spring.

Is a 125mm cube a cubic cell in spring?

Thanks
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Cell size for 3DS max?

Post by PicassoCT »

actually, there is a little problem there- you see in theory, you can implement your own scale. Yes, Spring has some inherited scale expectations as in features will be this big - so a peewee is 10 meters in height.

Now.. to find out how many elmos a peewee has..
http://springrts.com/wiki/Gamedev:UnitsOfMeasurement

and if you use the easy formula peweeheight/elmo*loadOfAAfricanswallow== I dont know .. :(

I call upon the mighty smoth to find the link to what original TA scale was..

But basically scale is what you make of it..
Zhall

Post by Zhall »

So import cubes at 10 mm variants until it fills the 1x1 footprint?

XD
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

First: how are you importing your model? Upspring, or Assimp?

Assimp doesn't consider which "units" you set in the model meta, it considers 1 units = 1 elmo.

Afaik 1 buildgrid cell is either 8 or 16 elmo.

I don't know whether that goes for Upspring, though.
Last edited by Anarchid on 25 Jul 2014, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
Zhall

Post by Zhall »

I am using upspring after going through 3DS max for mesh and Wings 3D for textures.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Spring uses a fixed scale where 1 "elmo", or Spring eigenvalue is equal to 1 pixel on the map texture. 1 pixel on the heightmap (you can view the heightmap wireframe ingame with /wiremap) is equal to 8 elmos.
Building buildings and other footprints are based on a grid that is 16 elmos in size.

Zhall, beware that importing 3DS into upspring will screw up your vertex normals. The only correct way to retain vertex normals and piece hierarchy is to use .obj along with this: http://imolarpg.dyndns.org/trac/balates ... _Converter
This python utility allows you to convert S3O->OBJ and OBJ->S3O while retaining piece hierarchy defined in the s3o, normals and smoothing groups for wings.

Oh, and welcome to Spring!

EDIT: and easy way to test the correct cell size is to make any sized cube in 3ds max, export it to obj, then open up the .obj file in notepad. The lines 'v 1.23 4.56 7.89' contain the vertex positions. 1 in the obj will correspond to 1 Spring elmo.
smoth

Post by smoth »

PicassoCT wrote: a peewee is 10 meters in height.
No it isn't
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

PicassoCT wrote: a peewee is 10 meters in height.
smoth wrote:No it isn't
Yes it is.

http://www.tauniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37905
This was the height of the commander (raw bos/cob height 2621439), but for a peewee (raw bos/cob height 1729457) it gives about 9.8 m.

Smoth, your picture contains models of a gundam, and of humans, which do not come from Cavedog. Using your own model only shows what you feel scale should be. Not what it actually is.
Plus your picture shows a peewee being four human tall, if we assume humans (and the little space between feet and head) to be 2m tall, your picture would show peewee being 8m tall. Close enough.

But of course determining what size a peewee would be in real life is entirely irrelevant to the question of what scale to use in 3ds max.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I always imagined peewees were about 4cm high.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

So a 1 footprint is 16 height map pixels is 16 whatever units you save the model in?
smoth

Post by smoth »

zwzsg wrote: This was the height of the commander (raw bos/cob height 2621439), but for a peewee (raw bos/cob height 1729457) it gives about 9.8 m.
Just saying it isn't 9.

that is the scale file I used as part of my whole scaling process for gundam. I wish I still had the images of the cars etc.
Zhall

Post by Zhall »

According to my observation, a single 1x1 footprint tile is 400mm @ 1mm = 1 unit.

There could be another setting skewing that, but it works for me
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

smoth wrote:
zwzsg wrote: This was the height of the commander (raw bos/cob height 2621439), but for a peewee (raw bos/cob height 1729457) it gives about 9.8 m.
Just saying it isn't 9.

that is the scale file I used as part of my whole scaling process for gundam. I wish I still had the images of the cars etc.
http://youtu.be/gRdfX7ut8gw?t=5m4s
Zhall

Post by Zhall »

PicassoCT wrote:
smoth wrote:
Just saying it isn't 9.

http://youtu.be/gRdfX7ut8gw?t=5m4s

Lol, awesome

Return to “Art & Modelling”