Introduction

Introduction

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

xXx

Introduction

Post by xXx »

I figured I'd introduce myself, and provide some eye candy in the process. I've been involved in mod projects since 2004. First with Mektek on their MW4 mod, but at the time I was not up to the required standards to properly participate as a modeler. Then I worked on the NBT MW4 mod, getting two models into the mod before the programmer left. Since then I have floated among many mod groups. Most of my models were made for engines that supported 3000-5000 poly models, so I will have to scale down my game models for use with the Spring project I plan to work on. Below are examples of my work:

These are just a few examples. Click on the thumbnails for larger pics. I look forward to working with this community as I create my game.
smoth

Re: Introduction

Post by smoth »

it all depends on how many units you want on screen. I am sure you will learn a good few tricks to shave off polies as you go!
xXx

Post by xXx »

smoth wrote:it all depends on how many units you want on screen. I am sure you will learn a good few tricks to shave off polies as you go!
Indeed smoth. I have a few tricks already. I intend to make a 4 faction RTS as a proof of concept, so a quite a few units will be on screen. Then based on sunspot's findings and project, I plan to move to a LoL/DOTA style game. You are one of the best on this site, so I'll hit you up if I have questions not already answered or easily found in the forums or wiki.
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

Talking about Tricks, giving out (eye)Candy! Yay!
Time of the season, I guess :-)
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Welcome to Spring! I really love the mechs, is there a chance of a screenie of one of them textured?

As smoth said, dont worry about polycount, as its performance mostly depends on the level of hardware used, and engine performance is not really limited by it. A good rule of thumb is that you shouldnt really have more than 1,000,000 triangles on screen at once.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Impressive.
Btw, there is a Mech Commander inspired game in fresh development you may be interested in: http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=70.
Regarding your LoL/Dota game, you should know that there are no mesh deformations supported in this engine.

Also regarding your existing high-def models, how about just putting them in game and see what happens? I'm not sure how LOD works in Spring, but it could run fine.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

gajop wrote:I'm not sure how LOD works in Spring, but it could run fine.
AFAIK, for unit's there's basically only; Unless you do it yourself in lua.
The Yak

Post by The Yak »

Zero-K has a dota style mod currently in development, you can check out the source here if you want: http://code.google.com/p/zero-k/source/ ... s%2Fzkdota

It's also very fun even if incomplete
smoth

Post by smoth »

The Yak wrote:Zero-K has a dota style mod currently in development, you can check out the source here if you want: http://code.google.com/p/zero-k/source/ ... s%2Fzkdota

It's also very fun even if incomplete
We also had a project called engines of war that was much futher along.
xXx

Post by xXx »

Beherith wrote:Welcome to Spring! I really love the mechs, is there a chance of a screenie of one of them textured?

As smoth said, dont worry about polycount, as its performance mostly depends on the level of hardware used, and engine performance is not really limited by it. A good rule of thumb is that you shouldnt really have more than 1,000,000 triangles on screen at once.

Sickle:
-Low Poly Model: 4680 Polys
-High Poly Model: 1.18 Million Polys
-Textured model is low poly with high poly details

Reinland Light Fighter:
-Low Poly Model: 2700 Polys
-Textured model is low poly model with 100% hand made textures

Anubis:
-Low Poly Model: 2800 Polys
-High Poly Model: 150k Polys
-Textured model is low poly with high poly details

So there are some textured models. Neither game these were made for used shading or normal textures, so neither is applied here.
scifi

Post by scifi »

Its perfect, i encourage you to talk with spikedhelmet or flozzi about their mech game.

The low poly models you showed serve just fine.

Return to “Art & Modelling”