EvoRTS needs your help! - Page 2

EvoRTS needs your help!

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: EvoRTS needs your help!

Post by FLOZi »

? I don't see any obvious stretching
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

A lot of the parts I used weren't even scaled.
Only the horizontal surfaces around the makeshift turret are stretched heavily. I'll probably replace or re-texture those parts.
smoth

Post by smoth »

it's the sloped parts on the top of the main body. Also it feels too solid. A lot of the evo stuff is not a solid box like that and seldom has really thin geometric components. I suspect that is more to the point that you are going for a basic shape but bear in mind:

the evo rts units do not look anything like conventional weapons more that they are a mixture of sharp and square forms closer to Micheal bay's transformers than a traditional looking weapon.
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

made a quick variant: Amphbian Trike :-)
bigger

iirc the sloped parts on the top of the main body have not been manipulated in any way. One should be able to find them in the lego file as-is, so to speak.

The idea was to make good a concept for anphibs, and use it as a template/core-piece to make variations with. I figured by adding all kinds of stuff to the side of the core-"box" I could give it an Evo-look, and help variations make more distinct from each other. So you where right smoth :-) and I'll also bear in mind your advise of course. (I hadn't really build a turret/weapon yet, but when I get to that I'll try to give it the attention it needs.)

I guess I'll have to install Evo, but in the mean time I could use info on amphibian behaviour in Evo. For instance: do they shoot underwater?
smoth

Post by smoth »

yeah, I figured the turret was a temporary one.

installing evo will be a big help, once you get it up and running you'll definitely see what I mean
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

bigger
Another concept: propellor-wheels
(without turret/weapon for now,btw)

Not quite there (Evo-look) yet but I think I can make them work :-).
If forb thinks so too, I plan to do the 7 Amphibians. (And not a single unit more: busy busy :-). )
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Wow, I like your concepts here :-D

I guess that gives me motivation to finish the amphib factory.

There are 3 amphib units that fire lasers underwater.

Snake (aka buggy)
Razor
Assimilator (arty laser... think OTA penetrator with an awesome looking beamlaser that sucks vs mobile units and pwns buildings.

You should definitely grab either the svn or the latest test version via rapid. That way you can see all the latest stuffage ingame for yourself.

Keep in mind that green on that texture is representative of teamcolor whereas the light blue and red are just light blue and red.

I do think that the texture of the block on the top looks a bit stretched. There is actually a piece that is designed to go in the middle of those end pieces, but it isn't a huge deal.

As far as ideas go, remember that amphibs have paper thin armor, while being the fastest units in the game, stealth to radar and by far the highest DPS of any units. Now, I'm not really the type of person who thinks that looks should necessarily reflect stats (although in OTA terms, a golly with the armor of a flash might be a bit odd), I'm just mentioning it in case it helps with sparking ideas :-)

Thanks for all your awesome work :-D I'll try to have the amphib factory done soon so that they'll immediately have a home to go to.
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

What units do you still need modelled? I will get some done over the next week.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Well, firestorm is doing all of the amphibians. So the two techs that are left to do are hovers, and the air.

There are only a few air units, but the design of them needs to be pretty similar to the existing. Some of the Evo air units have some pretty sweet animations. For example, the gunship has 5 engines. 4 for low speed/hover, when at 75% speed the 5th lights off.

The con is also similar in the multi engine light hover/full speed ahead, as well as the transport.

But yeah, hovers have quite a few units in there, so if you're looking for small time stuff then air, for a larger scale, probably ought to go for hovers.

At the moment, I am working on converting the non-lego buildings to lego, and making new factories.
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

Thought I would start playing around with the Lego, Made a spacey Gunship. I can touch it up if you like the art style.

Attachments
gunship.png
(119.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Well, you really should look at the existing ones ingame to get an idea of what they look like currently.

This is an interesting start, but it's pretty bland, not to mention no engines for hovering, etc etc.
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

Yeah I had the game open on the second computer while I was modelling, This was just a quick start. But yeah if you want I can go for something much closer to the current models. I also didn't see your post about what was left to do until I had finished, so I didn't know if air was already finished yet so I just had a quick play around to get used to using the lego.
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

Oh yeah and the Lego V2 that I have only seems to have grey and red texture, there is no green? I have been modelling in blender. Do I have the wrong Lego pack or is it something to do with blender?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Legov2 comes with a texture, but that isn't what evo uses. Evo has it's own customized texture for it. I actually linked it in the first post, but with all that buggery there it's kinda easy to miss tbh.

Here it is: https://evolutionrts.googlecode.com/svn ... iment2.png

I don't care if it's exactly like the current. I do love the current, but usually I prefer to give people creative license to do whatever they want with just rough guidelines.

In particular, these are the parts I care about...

The Architect (aircon), Wildcat (Gunship) and the Transport (fuck if I remember... Charter? lol) all have multiple engines for when they slow down. The wings turn up to a 90 degree angle depending on what they are doing. If hovering, straight up and thrusting down. If moving forward, the wings all tilt and thrust backwards. It's crazy design, but it looks fantastic and I love it.

That said, I would actually like something similar for the fighter craft as well, because I've been considering giving fighters a "hover mode" (think harrier).

That said, these are legos, so if I want to add something later, i can always kitbash it in.

Make sure you have the air units go around and do stuff so you see how they work. Air in evo is considerably different for the most part than other spring games.

My only real things are the rotatable engines and make it look cool. Other than that, go wild :-)
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

What do you think of this. This is a pretty much straight copy of one of the planes. I just moved the tail fins forwards to see how that would look, but it can be moved back in you prefer. Rotating wings and engines are there too.

Attachments
Gunship3c.png
(226.45 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Gunship3b.png
(90.55 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Gunship3a.png
(214.13 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

I think both your models look cool :-) . I'd try to deviate from the current form though, by accentuating (make bigger/more interesting maybe) the moving parts. For instance, I think there is opportunity in making it look cooler by seeing what can be done with the rotatable thrusters.

Also I guess a certain level of realism calls for an aerodynamic, thin and fragile looking airplane design. But aviation (especially in a sci-fi setting) is a broad spectrum of ways to fly, I think. So I wouldn't limit myself by these things when modelling for Evo... though that is up to you... and Forb of course.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I think it looks in line with that faction's style though... firestorm did you dl evo yet?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I just came.

Regardless of whatever else you make I want that model lol. Holy fuck that looks amazing.

That said, firestorm is right. Feel free the deviate. I just love the whole rotatable wings/engines concept.

But like I said, feel free the go wild.

Jesus that's cool. I need to go get a towel.
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

@ Smoth

Yes, yes I did, of course. I recently declared 4 of my Evo models finished and gave them to Forb, and I wouldn't have dared doing that if I hadn't looked at those units behaviour in-game before/while making them :-) .
(also allowed me to see the other/new texture in-game, which I still have to get used to, I think... but think I made it work on my models though :-) )
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

Hey Guys.

Yeah the first model I did I was just messing around with the lego and getting a feel for it. I think as i was modelling it started to remind me of kilwrathi ships from wing commander. With their forward swept wings.

So it I kind of felt like it could be a starfighter, which either was space based or it had a propulsion system which rendered aerodynamics irrelevant. As in star wars.

@Forb I'm glad you like the second model. I'm working to your brief so please feel free to give any feedback and suggestions you like. I can send you this file as is if you like, but I am also quite happy to keep iterating until you are happy.

With the second model, I used one of the air units from evo (I don't know its name as the tool tip did not seem to be working. ) as reference material and tried to copy the main characteristics of its design. If you want I can keep using this method to recreate all the other air units, and then submit them to you for feedback. Then I can refine the designs. If you want me to go in a new direction like firestorm is suggesting I can do that to, but I would help to have some ideas of what themes you want to explore if that is the case.

@Firestorm. good idea about the engines. If Forb wants me to explore that I will. I just tried to keep them at the scale of the unit I was referencing.

Return to “Art & Modelling”