Random WIP 2013+ - Page 4

Random WIP 2013+

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

smoth

Re: Random WIP 2013+

Post by smoth »

move them to the side of the chin like one of those english beards from so long ago.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

Sweeeeet... It looks a little more light weighted than the hunter choppers. Good work man!
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

All Arm Subs
bigger

@Picasso
Cool. I think it has a great insect vibe going on, and that the glass doesn't look like glass but that only seems to help in that regard. :-)

edit: thought i forgot one, but false alarm. :-)
Last edited by FireStorm_ on 24 Jan 2013, 12:13, edited 2 times in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

gajop wrote:
FireStorm_ wrote: but... I do think the com-head is poor design, mainly because its an icon that screams ota and cavedog. A calling card... but not of BAR.

Strange to me, because a big chunk of my motivation to work on BAR is because I thought it is trying moving away from the original art-wise.

I've seen that you're more than skilled and original enough to come up with something that can be (part of) the face of this project. So I'd implore you to consider that opportunity.]
this a thousand times over; not only is it ota, it's also ugly
Original doesn't always mean it looks good. Some original designs are ugly and stupid. It is good to get away from blatant OTA but how many ways one can do a biped and it not look stupid(inbefore chicken knees vs human knee).

Then again, I like anime and half of the art snobs around here cannot model decently at all and love to tell you how cool their ideas are.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Wish we could save those anti-quotas and release them later on to bring down upon unsuspecting ranter the fanbois of tomorrow :D
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

I want to be able to upload sounds to random wip. I dont craft those plasmarifle sounds for nothing. They wanna be heard.

If you are afraid of piracy overboard, welcome to the year 2000 internet, were this is to complicated for pirates.
knorke

Post by knorke »

use soundcloud.com freesound.org or file attachment?
or better yet make video because 1 seconde snippet of plasma gun is like texture without seeing the model: gives no idea what is like ingame.

Since I am on toilet with iphone time for pro tip:
if you start adding sound to mod, think of some structure to organize them BEFORE using the sounds everywhere.
I have 199 files in sounds\ and have no more idea what is what because it is all named satan_fast.wav and woohoping.wav and in random folders :roll:
Does not help if download from sites and keep filenames like 92019__fatlane__1004-crash.wav to credit original creator.
Better put all sounds for one unit in one folder (some files might be in multiple folders but who cares) or sort in folders explosions\ unitvoices\ weapons\ etc.
If you do the per-unit-folder way probally good to think of something that the sounds are automatically assigned to unitDefs.
When you edit/add sounds it is superannoying having to adjust filename etc in unitdef too.
Also for the unitselection/reply sounds, leave 0.2s silence at start: Had to redo some sounds because otherwise would get epic drone when drawing waypoint with customformation or clicking fast.
Or better yet, before you fuck up your unitdefs with the soundtables, do not use engine unitsounds and make wupget to play them, zK has example.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

ok - but not zerok
Attachments
always-did-that-that-way.jpg
(512.33 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
aiphee

Post by aiphee »

Learning how to make models for spring. I made model for Chainsaw (zero-k) and when my exams will pass ill learn LUA and make it work. Alredy managed to see model in game.

PS: Texture is just testing.

Attachments
chansaw1.png
(456.1 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

Interesting model. What program did you use? And why did you choose this unit?

:-) In any case, I think you can at least improve on it if you look at (and try to change) Smoothing Groups, or the hardness/softness of lines where surfaces connect.
aiphee

Post by aiphee »

It was made in Blender 2.6. I Choosed chainsaw because it is one of old models which wasnt replaced yet ant its really noticeable.

I can use shade smooth in blender but spring doesnt take it anyway right?
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

If i read this, it seems to me you need the Edge Split Modifier. In the picture on that site some lines on the object become orange. The surfaces involved make an sharp/hard edge where they meet. Whereas before the line was black and the edge was not visible but smoothed out. I use Wings3D myself, and it seems very similar.

If it is indeed similar as Hardness in Wings3D then Spring will recognise it, and will show either hard of soft edges depending on how you made them. :-)
aiphee

Post by aiphee »

Ok, thx. I`ll check that before making real texture, it will probably take time before i get to it.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

I got back to molesting ZK's amphi setup:

Tentacles are supposed to extend to sides when it leaves water, to indicate that it can piss on its enemies.

Tanks slide in-out depending on current water pressure (used by unit as ammo)

Walks on land as a martian chicken, swims in water like a chthulhu scuba diver.
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

Spring:1944 additional sides submod

PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

battlefield beautifull :D
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

No way, an S44 update. Love the landing boats.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

latest work on spring's grass rendering

Note: selfshadowing looks awesome on LOD1 but not on LOD2, so it needs a lot work before enabling it ;)
Attachments
grass2.jpg
(291.07 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
grass1.jpg
(292.97 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
knorke

Post by knorke »

it is so fluffy! :shock:

Return to “Art & Modelling”