Random WIP 2013+ - Page 13

Random WIP 2013+

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Beherith

Re: Random WIP 2013+

Post by Beherith »

Cremuss, that is the new BA :)
Cremuss

Post by Cremuss »

Sweet :-)
I'm looking forward to it
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Have you considered a new name?
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Das Bruce wrote:Have you considered a new name?
I still think Big Angry Robots is the best call :mrgreen:
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

I agree, though it does sound a bit cartoony.
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

I think it is a terrible name. I don't think it's clever; I would try to show my audience that I'm clever. And I think it doesn't cover the content. I feel I'd be a bit like calling the 'Shawn shank redemption' 'Prison break' ... maybe that is a bad comparison. I guess I just feel I could come up with a range of better names.
Apart from spring stuff I invest a lot of time in writing stories. Words and etymology, names and their different uses and meanings; I love digging/researching in that world. So, what's in a name? Nothing of course... apart from what we think about it :-) . I think a more serious name would be better. I think BAR people work hard on this stuff; their work deserves a well thought of name.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

I think it is a terrible name. I don't think it's clever
Compared to "balanced annihilation reloaded"?

Unsure if srs, that's like calling shawnshank redemption "prison break 2 Xvid dvdrip HD fixed full premium version".
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

Well, Maybe my post sounded a bit harsh, apologies if so. But we wouldn't be taking each other seriously if you believe that I think "balanced annihilation reloaded" is the better alternative. :-)
"balanced annihilation reloaded" needs the alternative of course (which I've started pondering about to see I can think of something instead of my criticising...)
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

But we wouldn't be taking each other seriously if you believe that I think "balanced annihilation reloaded" is the better alternative.
Just pointing out that "big angry robots" aren't *that* stupid considering the alternatives :P
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

I don't mind the idea of backronyming BAR. Then it stays tied to its roots ever so slightly, yet separated. Also it's been around long enough that BAR just kind of fits. Still, a good serious name (especially based on a back story) would be cool.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

beyond all rational

in hindsight of: HUH, War, What is it good for? absolutely nothing!

behind a rose

the story that hides behind a rose, that was meant to be delivered as a sign of love and trust, but failed to reach its target due to an unlucky coincident, and thus started 4000 YEARS OF WAR! ;-)
.. this title would attract chicks in masses!
it might also make for a nice intro movie.

yeah yeah... off topic, sorry
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

LOL at hoijui

awesome

I agree with Funkencool and Firestorm.

A good name and and a good back story would go a long way to make the game more marketable.

I love BA, but I think that a solid Back story and universe would go a long way to creating an emotional and intellectual connection with a larger audience.
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

Thinking about it some more "big angry robots" could actually really work.

Comedy is a great selling point, and TA has a terrible back story with almost no compelling emotional connection.

I dont know if any one has come up with a compelling back story for BA but it would take a lot of work

So it could be a great idea to actually own this and not make a half arsed cheesy story line.

But make a purposely funny and purposely over cheesy story line.

Like team fortress did.

We could make comedy character sketches for each of the units that demonstrates and makes jokes about their strengths and weaknesses which would be educational for noobs as how to use/ not use units and it would also make for great transmedia marketing material.

We could make some red vs blue style videos exploring the twisted child hood of the leveler which made him like to bully small flash tanks.

have the fatboy sit down for therapy to help him with his low self esteem due to his eating disorder.

Discover the the Goliath is really a softy deep down who takes his mother to church on sundays.

learn about fidos favourite brand of dogfood.

hear maverick talk about scientology and why he is the top gun.

you could organise to do voice overs for all the units so they talk all this funny shit when they are selected or given orders.

BAR

Big Angry Robots

Deep Strategy
Big Expolshuns
The Joy of Rage Quits

Get a polished video on youtube and steam greenlight and we will have 20 thousand new teenaged players lining up pwn noobs and delight in their deep strategic thought.

If we can capture the next generation we will have a big enough player base to attract more devs and could go for a kickstarter to fund a engine dev to create user friendly mod tools, mesh deform animation and some nice up to date shaders and then spring will become the hub for rts development just as rts become popular again after PA publicises it.

Reach for the stars!
smoth

Post by smoth »

BAR would have to have a different art direction.
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

Yeah zk could do it some of their art looks a bit more cartoony.

I could see that idea working though.

a games gotta stand out marketing wise. Either with a compelling immersive world or some kind of gimmick or humour.

Far cry 3 and Far cry 3 blood dragon are good examples

http://youtu.be/av5pqJaIeCk

To make any game on spring get some real attention we need to make some quality marketing.

anyhow just another late night "genius" idea after a few drinks, and very little sleep last night
smoth

Post by smoth »

Zealot wrote:To make any game on spring get some real attention we need to make some quality marketing.
please god no. don't start this conversation..
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

smoth wrote:
Zealot wrote:To make any game on spring get some real attention we need to make some quality marketing.
#mtr2013
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Das Bruce wrote:
smoth wrote:
#mtr2013
Not to mention that anyone who starts such a topic has no intention of doing any bit of it themselves.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Random WIP the text edition
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

@luckywaldo7

The reason I mentioned Marketing is because it is something I have an interest in.

I have offered to help with making promotional videos, graphic design and marketing strategies, among other things. And am working on recording the voice overs for a Battle Tech Legacy.

I have worked in sales and marketing type jobs for a long time and run several businesses, and have been putting together transmedia marketing strategies for arts projects in my city.

I am a big fan of spring and I am developing a game using spring while I am at back at uni studying game design.

The reason I mention marketing is because marketing and branding is something that looks like it needs help and is an area where I have a skill set that could help.

but hey I'm sure that talking shit to people who offer to help is a great way to build the spring community.
Last edited by Zealot on 22 Aug 2013, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Art & Modelling”