Random WIP 2013+ - Page 2

Random WIP 2013+

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

KaiserJ
Community Representative

Re: Random WIP 2013+

Post by KaiserJ »

Thanks guys

Looks like Beherith has organized us into black-ops sleeper cels

Firestorm great work on your models BTW.

Picasso... spooky and haunted as always, good stuff!

here's some more; Diffuse only and shaded faces (shit will be much more cash when I finish specular/diffuse/illuminated but you get the idea)

Attachments
6.png
(601.68 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Godlike!
Falcrum

Post by Falcrum »

M-M-M-MONSTER KILL... Kill... kill... :shock:
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

ARM Advanced Construction Sub

KaiserJ, I'm getting even more curious :-) . I imagine the arm atlas must be tricky to work with since it's quite chaos-ish.
gajop

Post by gajop »

neat stuff;
so lemme get this straight, firestorm is modeling and kaiser is texturing?
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

No... :-)
Kaiser models and textures his own units, using the atlas I presume.
The atlas texture is mainly a mash-up of Cremuss' stuff.
I don't texture, because I'm used to Beherith doing that, but i'm looking into that because, well... models don't texture themselves and there's still quite a few to go.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Aww that turtle sub is so cute! Ill try to get back into atlassing :)
gajop

Post by gajop »

FireStorm_ wrote:No... :-)
Kaiser models and textures his own units, using the atlas I presume.
The atlas texture is mainly a mash-up of Cremuss' stuff.
I don't texture, because I'm used to Beherith doing that, but i'm looking into that because, well... models don't texture themselves and there's still quite a few to go.
Oh, I thought he was going to texture the arm atlas you made (I assume that plane with a hole in the middle is atlas, or one of them is)?
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

@Beherith

I meant that it's time I do some texturing myself, but you texturing is always a good thing. I better finish it fast :-)

@gajop

Ah, I didn't realise Atlas is ambiguous.
Yes, the arm t1 air transport is called Atlas
(It's 2nd one from the right, in the back row, btw. The 'round' one is the Dragonfly.)

But... Atlas is also a term for a single image file witch features multipe, or all, 2D art (sprites or textures) of a project or game.

For BAR this means all units of a faction use parts of the same very big texture. (example of atlas)

hope that cleared stuff up :-)
Last edited by FireStorm_ on 11 Jan 2013, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Firestorm, have you seen the arm atlas Kaiser is using? Its super nice. Also included in the BAR artwork repo.

If you feel anything is missing from it, then there is still space left on it.

Its still super easy to use, just watch my youtube video.
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

To me it looked a bit chaotic, but I'll familiarise myself with it. I was planning on making a torpedo model; texturing that at first should be very doable :-)
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Yeah that is a great way to familiarize yourself with it, and with the flow of atlasing.

I highly recommend having the move, rotate, uniform and X/Y scale mapped to keys when doing this in wings, because the speed increase you get is crazy!
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

gajop; I'm making the texture atlas, and giving it a try by applying it to some bots (i'll be making the rest of the ARM bots also) but beherith and firestorm seem to be doing the bulk of the modelling.

Re: chaotic atlas... it's certainly not perfect, and you have to do some shennanigans to get everything to fit (the hexagons on the con-sub for instance would be tough because we don't have hexagons on the atlas, but with a little bit of shimmying and shaking it would all work out okay)

We've got lots of room left to add specific shapes... so if you do decide to do some texture work and get stuck i'll be happy to add something on for you
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

Thanks guys, i'll keep those pointers in mind.
And i can't think of any stuff lacking on the texture now, but that also good to know.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

Ye, I think at this point just keep making nice models; Now that I look at the turtle again I'm confident that I could use the existing elements and make it look very slick

In fact I will do so... because it will be important to add certain shapes for faces. I'm adding a few things here and there as I make the bots so it's entirely possible that more things need to be added (I already have a short list of additions) and it would be very beneficial for me to have a try at one or two of your models in the near future just to be sure there is nothing conspicuously absent

The sooner we can be confident in a mostly complete atlas in terms of shapes and content I can finish restyling / improving the look and move on to the different channels and finally finish the damned thing entirely
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Hexagons, octagons and dodecagons are very useful additions :)

Core atlas use graph (logarithmic)

FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

Cremuss' models have a lot of have small surfaces and meshes. That manifests in the texture I think, (but that's on a sidenote.)

Would it not be wise to not add to much before you run into a specific problem? I mean having some unused parts on the texture as a safety net didn't sound like a bad idea.

In any case, I finished and uploaded the sub(s) if you want to give it a try.
MoltenM

Post by MoltenM »

Hello Spring community :D

Vroomvroom!

Originally wanted to mod CNC3 but that didnt work out :(

Will spring be better? :D

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

With you? Yes.
Not with you. No.

Good work. Wellcome aboard. You work on a mod of your own? or do you want to be bombarded by moddevs searching talented people?

VTOL is very nice.
MoltenM

Post by MoltenM »

I'd like to make my own mod :) but i have no idea how so i should go read tomorrow.

Am i doing this right?
I am a student just starting to use 3Dsmax for game/animation design and trying to make a hovertank and wreck model now :D

Return to “Art & Modelling”