Time of War - modelling buildings and walkers - Page 2

Time of War - modelling buildings and walkers

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

smoth

Re: Time of War - modelling buildings and walkers

Post by smoth »

some animations<-click this!

well, I was just giving him an example script. I figure he can do his own animations... Anyway... since apparently it is an engine bug, I am just posting the script stuff for this guy and posting a mantis report.

/scripts/headers/walk.lua
/scripts/unitname.lua

the script assumes the following:
heirarchy:
Image(click for larger)

it has 1 weapon(the script triggers a burst fire because I wanted the firing to be tied to the animation. This may or may not be a good approach.

it uses two cegs(springs way of doing particle effects.

Code: Select all

sfxtypes = {
    explosiongenerators = {
      "custom:yellowmuzzelflash",
	  "custom:smallshells",
    },
  },
If you need cegs, effect files, lua examples of gadgets or widgets.. Here is my greenbeans subversion. It is a work in progress to give people a working base to create their own rts games. As it is a work in progress it has no documentation and I am still adding to it/correcting bugs. However, I felt I should share it as it does give you examples and files to work with.

svn

tracker

username: tester
Password: rageflame
Attachments
RGM79.lua
(4.76 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
walk.lua
(8.68 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Last edited by smoth on 04 Dec 2012, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
VelvetClaw

Post by VelvetClaw »

Funkencool wrote:Here's some good examples what can be done; unfortunately, the maker is no longer active on the forums it seems.
ImageImage
Some more of his work http://kencumpian.deviantart.com/gallery/37126211
Excellent to know that! that is all I need. So animation a la Age of Empires is indeed possible. a pity that infantry and Spring 1944 don't whip out cigarettes when idle, though...
smoth

Post by smoth »

velvet, what most of the projects in spring use is content lifted from total annihilation, meaning the animations were largely done by professionals. What you see in s44 and my work here are animations done without a tool by programmers. We are not artists persay just guys who did what had to be done.

does the script help?
VelvetClaw

Post by VelvetClaw »

smoth wrote:velvet, what most of the projects in spring use is content lifted from total annihilation, meaning the animations were largely done by professionals....
Hello,

It is too early to say if it'd work for me, because I just wanted to know how to create models that carrepairer could later use. Right now, I am learning how to optimise my existing models for Spring using Blender, and all I can say is that it's a complete nightmare. Worse, my own projects for RoN have hit a snag and I am trying to extricate myself from the mess.

Still, if you are hungry for proof of progress...

It isn't much. But Now that I know how animated materials are supposed to work for Spring, I'd best figure out a means of inserting breaks into this unit.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

Same place you would have the joints on a skeletal mesh model (knees ankles and hips on the legs etc)
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

ooh! nice horse.
smoth

Post by smoth »

how many of those will you have? because you could probably double the polycount.
VelvetClaw

Post by VelvetClaw »

Okay, been doing an experiment of sorts for Spring....

It's not much, but this is a test I am running to see if articulated limbs for animals are possible. I have TONNES AND TONNES of horseflesh, doing nothing and sitting idle. I have plans for all of them.

What this implies now is that articulated limbs are possible but I still need more feedback. Since we have established that it's possible, I need one more thing to be sure - I am constructing everything in Blender, but how will these limb parts be connected? should they be linked into a single file (several mesh objects) or as individual files?

Return to “Art & Modelling”