smoth's junk. - Page 21

smoth's junk.

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

smoth

Re: smoth's junk.

Post by smoth »

IREGRETNOTHING
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

q3a machine gun!
smoth

Post by smoth »

smoth wrote:Image
IREGRETNOTHING
rattle wrote:q3a machine gun!
so are you saying it doesn't look drill like enough?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

he is saying q3s maschine gun looked like a dino dentists dream

but your colour schemin.. it has taken pa damage.. all orange and i wonder what will hapen next..
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

So it's the drill. Are they meant to look like these?

PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

yes just like the big sister drill

Unrelated: That drill looks good.Hell of a work to get animated properly (best to use temporary attach) and release with impulse..

but the drill looks good.
gajop

Post by gajop »

is that really a drill which is meant to do direct physical damage or is it a gun in a drill-like shape?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

It is a closecombat weapon like the steam-hammerish powerfist before..

smooth is aiming high- directly for springs weakspot.. :D
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Imo, an actual drill would require at least something that looks like a spiral instead of straight parallel blades.

Now, as per the spring weak spot, i think drill is the easier thing to use as melee weapon, especially if you want the physical feel of how it sticks into the other guy and starts generating sparks and jeebz. :P
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

really..

spiral.. i cant see you
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

That's because a cutting shield isn't a drill and doesn't contain any drills either.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Needs more fluff story to explain why this mining machine looks different from everything else ever built.
If that is a drill, what is its purpose in mining?

For example to plant explosives the drill needs to be longer (and can be thinner) so that the explosive is further inside the rock:

That thing looks more like a cutter rather than a drill:
but both need a flexible arm (like on a digger) to be useful.

Or maybe like a roadheader or continous miner:
ImageImage
But those have mechanism to transport the loosend material away from the working area. Those are also very flat because no space in tunnel, a towering bi-pedal mech is the opposite...
smoth

Post by smoth »

yuritch wrote:So it's the drill. Are they meant to look like these?

not really, think getting a giant rod slammed in you then it boring through the back followed by spinning higher and moving through you like a big cutter bit.
PicassoCT wrote:yes just like the big sister drill

Unrelated: That drill looks good.Hell of a work to get animated properly (best to use temporary attach) and release with impulse..

but the drill looks good.
nah, the idea was that if combat it would spin up and be punched into the enemy mech. same as the piston fist. I am not doing knockback on the weapon. just some high damage weapon. Most things it will just kill outright. Larger units with high hp would take a few more stabs. Balancing it will be tricky but this isn't a unit you can directly build and it will not be as quick, it is old tech around say 20 years older than the other demi mechs.

also I would not use impulse for knockback. Spring's impulse system is garbage

Knorke:
actually the idea was a reamer and cutting shield combo. The idea was that it drills in with the cutting shield and spins within and splits the rock as it goes. I have a spiral bit as well for it, but I went with the reamer cutting shield because I felt at this size it made more sense.

The idea is the mech drills out a hole then chucks the rocks behind it with the big claw arm. Sort of like a person digging through dirt but with one arm digging a big hole and the other clawing out all the denser stronger rock around it, and or clearing debris as needed.

At least that is the idea. I am not really going to strongly argue the merits because ultimately when you get into realism discussions people can go too far only seeing current tech solutions as viable. Aka why even have mechs when you can have tanks. Which I will not get into.
Last edited by smoth on 23 May 2013, 14:33, edited 2 times in total.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

smoth wrote:At least that is the idea. I am not really going to strongly argue the merits because ultimately when you get into realism discussions people can go too far only seeing current tech solutions as viable. Aka why even have mechs when you can have tanks. Which I will not get into.
The secret to good (non-futurist) Sci-Fi is to come up with something cool and then make up an excuse for it.
smoth

Post by smoth »

SinbadEV wrote:
smoth wrote:At least that is the idea. I am not really going to strongly argue the merits because ultimately when you get into realism discussions people can go too far only seeing current tech solutions as viable. Aka why even have mechs when you can have tanks. Which I will not get into.
The secret to good (non-futurist) Sci-Fi is to come up with something cool and then make up an excuse for it.
Ultimately, when you post something or say an idea, you can spend as long as you like making excuses, people will have the rest of eternity to argue down any points of realism. It is better to have a cut off point of "real enough" with occasional fluff updates. One thing gundam did correctly was define things loosely and between fans and artists+writers over time detail it out more as to keep with the times.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

the point is to get the awesome walking and then have little defense units, called fanbois who will hunt every "but realism" attack back into the woods
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Honestly, I'd go with the twisty drill just for the sake of visual familiarity to the user. Twisty thing says "drill baby drill" and that's good for usability. The player knows instantly what it's for. They both look good, and I'd go for the familiar over the exotic in a case where the exotic doesn't provide much benefit - if the exotic drill looked OMG SEXXXEH compared to the conventional one, I'd say go nuts. But they both look good.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Well the ideas posted are good i am just replying to them. Do you guys want the more spiral bit? I rather like the straight one but if people really think the reamer is bad I can reapproach it as a concept.

*edit* see you posted there pxtl. The player will not be able to build these. They are going to be in the scenery either drilling rocks or sitting around shut down in the field.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Oh. In that case this is being drastically overthought. It's beautiful and sexy as hell for a simple decorative creep. Stick a fork in it, that's done...
smoth

Post by smoth »

Pxtl wrote:Oh. In that case this is being drastically overthought. It's beautiful and sexy as hell for a simple decorative creep. Stick a fork in it, that's done...
WELL, thing is, I may add some stuff for being able to recruit them.

talked with knorke for a bit. he feels it doesn't realistically setup a mining mech. We went over a few things like different drill setups but my net was lossy at best. Odds are i may give it 2 DRILL arms.

the drill arm(s) is a must because I want to have at least 1 drill type mech because drills are important to mecha fans and having a drill unit you can recruit would mean a lot to people.

Return to “Art & Modelling”