smoth's junk. - Page 36

smoth's junk.

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

smoth

Re: smoth's junk.

Post by smoth »

Been taking a break, getting real life stuff setup for some real life things. Been playing a lot of warmachine, wrath of kings, getting a lot of interesting perspective and ideas as far as game balance and design. Might play some 40k as well.. who KNOWS.

it is interesting to see how little is being made around here. Like art, maps, new versions. Although I was pretty excited to see a s44 release recently on moddb.

Taking time away from this place feels great, it's like I eat something that makes me sick, keep eating it and come back for more.. every time, like an idiot.

I am sure I will eat it again soon. Just expect me to be potentially more aloof because when I get back I am going to want to get stuff done.
Usaga

Post by Usaga »

So what this supposed to mean?
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

So what this supposed to mean?
"my interactions with this community are counterproductive even if valued"
smoth

Post by smoth »

I wonder if my script can handle these? Is there some sort of limit to weapons in spring?
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

32 per unit, theoretically bumpable to 64
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

Composite units is also an option
smoth

Post by smoth »

Might need to come up with a way for the script to alternate fire among the different guns. Just the side guns of that big thing have a count of 17. So that would already exceed springs individual weapons limit. I could hack it by say making all the little space marines covered by one weapon that way I can just say give it shots 5 and then make each barrel emit but they will not be properly aimed :|.
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

Alternating fire between turrets is the old OTA approach, it kind of works (War at Sea mod used that quite a lot IIRC).

As for composite units, you can take a look at S44 ships from git master (I think they are also in latest 'release' version as well), there is no (practical) hard limit to how many weapons you can put on a unit that way.
smoth

Post by smoth »

fireplatform? just seeing what I can push and how.
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

Yes, isFirePlatform and unselectable sub-units as turrets.

In S44 this also allows individual turrets to have separate ammo and be suppressable (so it's quite hard to kill the unit completely, but not that hard to make it worthless in a fight, at least until the turrets recover)

Some examples:

1. Base defs, from which the actual unit parts are inherited (yes, we use OO approach for unit defs)

2. Actual unit def inherited from those

3. Scripts: boat, turret.
smoth

Post by smoth »

How does this work out with regards to the model's collision causing issues with attached units shooting it/getting blocked?
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

We use perpiece colvols, so the turrets are both target-able and hit-able. The turret unitdefs have firearcs imposed in the usual manner, and https://springrts.com/wiki/Gamedev:Unit ... holdSteady is set to true, so they always face forwards then script rotate the turret in usual manner like a fixed tower.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I imagine piece colvols are not cheap?
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

For most of the ships it is simply two bounding boxes, one for the hull and one for the conning tower. Turrets are all spheres.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

imo that is something that should be written up with an example mod of 1 big unit with lots of targetable turrets and a basic unit that can attack. This is the kind of thing we should be making a song and dance about and showcasing
smoth

Post by smoth »

Make a thread in games and development :)
smoth

Post by smoth »

i should make it happen, i have not tried addinig loading/ unlaoding into my skeleton yet :)
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

hokomoko wrote:Composite units is also an option
Like warzone 2100?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Possibly but do NOT derail my thread, please go make a new thread.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I have been having some success with my health, hopefully i can resume work soon!

Return to “Art & Modelling”