smoth's junk. - Page 22

smoth's junk.

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

smoth

Re: smoth's junk.

Post by smoth »

here it is with the spiral drill bit and some altered colors. Which bit do you lot like more?
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

Now at least it's obvious that's a drill, not a giant machinegun. I like new variant more.

As for color, this one is closer to yellow which is the color mining/construction equipment often uses, so that's also better IMO.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

smoth wrote:Image

here it is with the spiral drill bit and some altered colors. Which bit do you lot like more?

They both look awesome but I personally prefer the spiral look, btw the shading looks stellar in that pic especially on the drill part.
smoth

Post by smoth »

not pretty but interesting. this is color on a per player basis. Does that mean you could set colors for your units yes. Does it mean you can set them for each unit have that saved and seen by other players? Not yet. I don't have config loading yet. Even when I get that working, odds are only certain projects of mine will allow you color customization on a per unit basis.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

I'd be more tempted to leave per-unit customizing for special/hero type units, not for the redshirt army.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

The positive side is, that you have basically a dozen unit with one chasis, one set of animations.. so if you go high quality - its the only approach that can result in quality although just beeing the one man- general/footgrunt/undertaker unification of a army you get in OS
smoth

Post by smoth »

Pressure Line wrote:I'd be more tempted to leave per-unit customizing for special/hero type units, not for the redshirt army.
that is per-player, per unit type, not per-player, per unit.

These are 4 different teams.

The color selection eventually will be restricted based on specific rules within a configuration file. In my projects I'll probably have 2-3 themes per faction. The idea is to create a flexible system that can allow for different approaches. so say you want a DOW style colorscheme setup, where each player can choose an overall faction color scheme or a per-unit color scheme deal, you can have either. However, what setup you have access to will be chosen by the game not by the player.
smoth

Post by smoth »

so like here is what you are seeing. The units all receive a default paintjob. the different looking tanks have specified their own bucket setting which overrides to the faction default color set. Should a default paintjob not be present for the faction, it would use the overall default stored in the core(which is all white)
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Notice the sylence smoth! No more gundam praise - a wild opponent in the battle for the game crown has appeared. He is using skill, and is more then on level with bar, zero-k and cursed.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Doing some major refactors. Do not get anything after revision 296 as will not work at all. of course before 296 is not guarantied either. The changes are necessary in order for players to have access to color set choices and the future saving of color schemes. I have not resolved how the data will propagate when a new player joins but I am not worried about that at the moment and will resolve it when I get to that point.

notes for myself:
seems the new scheme code isn't populating properly, even though the code is echoing, I fear I may have botched the logic(dumb errors are not unlikey due to no sleep). correction is needed as the themes are still not receiving the default colors on a per-unit assignment basis, something is very wrong there. Pulling the RGBA values is probably aslo going to be in ProcessBucketSetting(). SetupBuckets should only concern it's self with assigning and propagating out the schemes to players where appropriate, ai's should not receive their owners skin choice.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Lovely team color schemes.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Image(click image for larger)

so here is what you are seeing, a selection of scheme on the left for a player. the selection of a default scheme for the ai on the right.

Items marked with a check have an individual paint-job file which is loaded then merged with the default colors. Which is why one tank only has a green stripe difference. Both schemes "default" and "smoth" have their own colors for the miner mechs.. both marked with an arrow.

still much work to be done but hey.. just showing progress. Code should be stable enough to look at for those curious. Next step is to add a "select your team colors" window. It should be noted the colors are also FACTION SPECIFIC. if I gave one of them a faction other than TEST, since there are no other configs for TEST faction, they would use the default colors. Which for "smoth" would be solid red and "default" solid white.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

so 22 pages of thread, and still no pictures of smoth's junk.

Son, I am dissapoint.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Is that orange thing to left of each formation a tree?

Does the tree use the material system? :P
smoth

Post by smoth »

Anarchid wrote:Is that orange thing to left of each formation a tree?

Does the tree use the material system? :P
nah, it is just my sandbox unit.
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

Stuff looking good of course.
Curious about:

1) The other faction.
Also working on the other faction, or are you doing the colour stuff first?
2) Game play.
What can you say about it at this stage?
3) That guy in the ground.
Second time I see it, behind big tank now. I know its probably nothing, but just for fun I'm going to assume it is some kind of subterranean tunneller unit :-).
smoth

Post by smoth »

Factions:
Avant fuselier
Arx dynamics
Behemoth corp (which is who the stumpy mech belongs to)

Gamplay would be like GRTS 1.3 was meanr ro be.so ace units, grunts and cannonfodder. I have other ideas but I will not talk about the until they are in game where people can try them.

The underground and ballet looking dude are dae files. Waiting for an engine fix so they loook right. They are just there so people have something to compare. People being myself.

These units are all test units. This is merely a test project to ensure that GBS is solid before I start the new game. So this is merely groundwork. I want to do it right this time
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

Ah yes, three factions, my mistake.
I just realised we've haven't seen the 3rd faction yet, if I'm not mistaking. That makes me very curious. (but I won't bug you about it :-) )

I'm always interested in the game model art.
Few months ago we saw some Avant Fusilier, but then you went back to fixing shoulders. I had just hoped in the meantime maybe the Avant Fusilier had also yielded some cool (ingame) pictures. But it seems that was kinda impatient.

Thanks for the answers btw.
*Patience mode reactivated* :-)
smoth

Post by smoth »

one of these is a DAE, one of these is a s3o.

Here is what I realized. If you guys want me to go into more detail I can make a new thread.

1, build the model along the Y axis as up.
2, the collada dae allows you to specify the up axis.. but the blender exporter is retarded soo...

in the DAE file...
<asset>
<contributor>
<author>Blender User</author>
<authoring_tool>Blender 2.67.0 r57141</authoring_tool>
</contributor>
<created>2013-06-14T10:27:18</created>
<modified>2013-06-14T10:27:18</modified>
<unit name="meter" meter="1"/>
<up_axis>Z_UP</up_axis>
</asset>
change to
<asset>
<contributor>
<author>Blender User</author>
<authoring_tool>Blender 2.67.0 r57141</authoring_tool>
</contributor>
<created>2013-06-14T10:27:18</created>
<modified>2013-06-14T10:27:18</modified>
<unit name="meter" meter="1"/>
<up_axis>Y_UP</up_axis> WAS Z_UP
</asset>
and it works.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Pressure Line wrote:so 22 pages of thread, and still no pictures of smoth's junk.

Son, I am dissapoint.

This.

Return to “Art & Modelling”