Spring good enough for movie rendering?

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Zenka

Post by Zenka »

I think so.
Being greatly inspired by the OTA intro and since it is a school project, I made a sort-of intro for Spring.
I used ingame videos combined with other 3d animations.

I had to pull this off in 1 week, and it shows.
But I let the critics over to you. (don't expect high quality stuff)

http://lassie.student.utwente.nl/vliet/Render3rSE.avi

People to thank (extended credits):
- the SY team (obiously)
- Zaphod (for everything he had done for Spring and for the 3do plugin).
- Alantai Firestar (directly for his logo I used, but probably for many other things)
- All the people that played in the games I used the replay from. (A bunch of names)
- Lassie (for being my host :o)
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Nice movie!

But if you mean the 3DS max 3DO plugin, that's made by the SY's (I guess yeha since he made the s3o plugin as well)
BvDorp

Post by BvDorp »

Wow, I like it!

He, is it possible you make a better, high quality movie, so it can actually be used as an intro movie? Perhaps with some smoother rendering etc? This would rock!!! :shock:
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

wow...that is cool. More of a trailer to a movie then an intro, though. Very montoge esque.

But it would be cool to have the intro be more connceted.
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

Thank you for your replies ^.^
Zaphod wrote:Nice movie!

But if you mean the 3DS max 3DO plugin, that's made by the SY's (I guess yeha since he made the s3o plugin as well)
Ah yes, well, then another thanks to SY.

About the rendering, I had some troubles with it. For the 3DSM scenes was that it was renderd to an unknows avi format. I had a very hard time coverting it. (later that was fixed, but that would require an new render, what would take another 24 hours!)
As for ingame scenes, there is only so much my PC can handle.
Zoombie wrote:wow...that is cool. More of a trailer to a movie then an intro, though. Very montoge esque.
Maybe I'll make a new movie, more quality.
But such thing is planned when the units quality goes up as well.
(So I'll be busy with that then.)

A question:
In the trailer (I will call it that way), I'm using OTA's music, is that allowed?
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

I likey very much. I suggesed something like this a while ago, but no one seemed interested in doing it. Nice to see someone actually made it!

Just a few pointers to make it look even better.
  • Try not to get the edge of the map in the video. The edge just looks ugly.
  • Try using the Evolva or AA models, as they are quite high quality
  • Record the videos while you are a spectator. That way you do not get the ghosted buildings like the fusion in the bombing scene.
  • Set the sensitivity of your mouse a bit lower to help with smoother camera movments. you will have to do this through windows, cause spring doesnt support that yet
Good luck with it, I look forward to seeing more work from you!
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

Quite a nice movie

soundvolume is too low.
indeed u should avoid map edges.
the clips of inside the bomber are too long.
resolution has to be bumped up :D

hope this helps
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

The sequence from inside the bombing bay don't belong to Spring, and take a too long part of the clip. Otherwise there's some nice sequences, like the sea battle. And the clip is too short :?
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Zenka wrote: A question:
In the trailer (I will call it that way), I'm using OTA's music, is that allowed?
In theory, no, they are copyrighted material from a game. In practice, I don't think it will be an issue (the mp3 files ARE on fileuniverse, after all) and unless you start making such unbelievable movies that you are able to start selling them, it should be okay.

I like it. I'm inclined to agree with zwgsg; the 'inside the bomber bay' bit was kinda long, and not very Spring-ish.

The Spring scenes were great though =)
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

Thx

I agree, the bomber scene wasn't Spring. But I had do put something homemade in it, or else school wouldn't accept it.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Zenka wrote:... I'm using OTA's music, is that allowed?
As much as the rest... The units you're using in there are from oTA as well. It's just that they're beeing shiped with Spring while the music is not.

In the README (and probably the license and the download page), it refers that you must own a copy of TA to legally play Spring with the unit set (XTA) which is probably the one you've used.

Return to “Art & Modelling”