assimp metafile for dae? (solved)

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

saberRattler

Post by saberRattler »

Hey guys,

been trying to figure out the assimp metafile from:
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 65#p463265

currently I cannot download the AssimpTest file and do not know of any games that use assimp+metafile for their units.

I am trying to scale the model with the height command (is that even what it is for?). And trying to get it to rotate so it isn't facing the ground.

Code: Select all

model = {
		radius = 25.0,
		height = 40,
		tex1 = "steamcopter1.tga",
		tex2 = "steamcopter2.tga",
		midpos = {0,0,0},

pieces = {
		  root = {
			rotate = {-90,0,0},
		},
			Untitled = {
				rotateZ = 90,
				}
		}
}
return model
I have read the chat with CarRepairer, and he mentions doing everything in blender. Sadly, I am still not getting the scaling or rotation in blender even with the suggestions there.

Does anyone have a model and meta that I can look at? Or a working link to the AssimpTest?

any other suggestions/beatings would be appreciated as well :D
Last edited by saberRattler on 26 Mar 2012, 07:32, edited 2 times in total.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Re: assimp metafile for dae

Post by KaiserJ »

it sounds like you need to reset your object origins (if you've got things facing the ground)

i don't use blender but look at stuff like pivot points (your model doesn't have 0,0,0 defined correctly)

sorry if this was bad advice i'm pretty drunk

edit: scaling via height command doesn't sound right. all scaling and positioning of objects should be done within your editor (blender, max etc)
saberRattler

Post by saberRattler »

being in the Navy I appreciate the drunk advice, sometimes it is the best!

tried flipping in blender, no luck so far. Will try more tomorrow, have to get some sleep.
Attachments
issue.png
current issue, with rotation and scale applied it remains tiny and face down
(289.65 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
saberRattler

Post by saberRattler »

Figured it out, switched model from .dae to .3ds and now it works.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

good stuff man, glad you've figured it out!

really saves you a lot of anguish to use assimp rather than the old method of prepping models in upspring; or at least it did for me because it allows me to set origins etc in an environment that i'm comfortable in
SpliFF

Re: assimp metafile for dae? (solved)

Post by SpliFF »

3DS appears to have a slightly different coordinate system to other model types. I think the issue is that historically 3DS Max uses a different axis for "front".

The Assimp site says (emphasis added): "By default, all 3D data is provided in a right-handed coordinate system such as OpenGL uses. In this coordinate system, +X points to the right, -Z points away from the viewer into the screen and +Y points upwards. Several modeling packages such as 3D Studio Max use this coordinate system as well (or a rotated variant of it)."

I think it's implying that the correct rotation is not universal but application-specific. It may even be that Assimp assumes 3DS files were made in 3DSMax and rotates them automatically to match other formats. I ran into this issue myself and never did figure out what was "correct" but thankfully rotating the model via metafile or your 3D app isn't that taxing.

I suppose if you want to use DAE it's as simple as removing rotate = {-90,0,0} from your root object.
Kerr

Re: assimp metafile for dae? (solved)

Post by Kerr »

3ds Max uses the proper right-hand coordinates(x > right, y > front, Z > up), it's spring that does silly things.. In spring y- is down, z+ is forward, and x+ is left...

And Assimp doesn't automagically rotate .3ds models

EDIT: necro, oops.

Return to “Art & Modelling”