AA load screens - Page 2

AA load screens

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators, MR.D, Moderators

User avatar
Caydr
Omnidouche
Posts: 7179
Joined: 16 Oct 2004, 19:40

Post by Caydr »

Masse wrote:
Min3mat wrote:but flat :D
thats so true... only reason i would buy tft/lcd is cause its FLAT... and light and dont take too much ur desk space

im more into style and comfort than in price or effectines

i should get rid of this 19" crt cause its too huge (i know its not that huge) takes way too much space
I'll buy it off you. As long as you pay shipping.
0 x

User avatar
PauloMorfeo
Posts: 2004
Joined: 15 Dec 2004, 20:53

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Masse wrote:...
thats so true... only reason i would buy tft/lcd is cause its FLAT... and light and dont take too much ur desk space
...
I guess you guys don't spend so much time in front of PCs as i do. Sometimes i think i'll probably glow at night.

First, the TFTs don't flikker and, as such, don't ruin as much the eyes. This is proved by me that used CRTs and now use exclusively TFTs.

Second, because of they're glow, CRTs greatly increases photo-sensitivity on my eyes (to the point of having a hard time driving a car at night).

The only reason that would lead me to, now, buy a CRT, would be price (not likely) or a great need to play 3D FPSs.
0 x

User avatar
aGorm
Posts: 2928
Joined: 12 Jan 2005, 10:25

Post by aGorm »

Zenka:

Nope I play spring at 1280*1024. Theres no need for it to be high. However for graphical work, like photoshop, flash, swish, I need all teh space i can get.

Also those say dont dis till you got one... I got one at work. Its very nice. Its fine for office use. however i would not put a game on it in a million years. (thats not to say i wont put one on a TFT from a milllion years in teh futer they will be pretty good by then.)

And I have yet to find a TFT that depicts the colour 15 rgb off black susessfully. They dont. they go grey grey grey Balck (off in other wors...)

aGorm
0 x

User avatar
Masse
Damned Developer
Posts: 979
Joined: 15 Sep 2004, 18:56

Post by Masse »

Caydr wrote:
Masse wrote:
Min3mat wrote:but flat :D
thats so true... only reason i would buy tft/lcd is cause its FLAT... and light and dont take too much ur desk space

im more into style and comfort than in price or effectines

i should get rid of this 19" crt cause its too huge (i know its not that huge) takes way too much space
I'll buy it off you. As long as you pay shipping.
haha... no way :wink: what i really want is hdtv and some tiny and uber simplistic pc attached to it... so i dont haveto keep this desk...
0 x

User avatar
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead
Posts: 7287
Joined: 12 Aug 2005, 09:29

Post by SwiftSpear »

PauloMorfeo wrote:
Masse wrote:...
thats so true... only reason i would buy tft/lcd is cause its FLAT... and light and dont take too much ur desk space
...
I guess you guys don't spend so much time in front of PCs as i do. Sometimes i think i'll probably glow at night.

First, the TFTs don't flikker and, as such, don't ruin as much the eyes. This is proved by me that used CRTs and now use exclusively TFTs.

Second, because of they're glow, CRTs greatly increases photo-sensitivity on my eyes (to the point of having a hard time driving a car at night).

The only reason that would lead me to, now, buy a CRT, would be price (not likely) or a great need to play 3D FPSs.
Good CRT don't flicker as much either. Yes, a 400 dollar TFT monitor can outpreform a $50 CRT monitor, but a $400 dollar CRT monitor VASTLY outpreforms both in every way.

Any CRT rendering at under 70hz is going to be hard on the eyes after prolonged use, expecially at high resolutions. Dip under 40hz and you will get headaches after only short periods of use, even if you are only reading or doing business applications. If you buy any decent monitor it will probably provide you with an average frequency of 80 or more hz, which cannot and will not hurt your eyes or your head. My CRT monitor runs at 60hz, and I can still use it for 8 solid hours before it starts to bug me, never the less I'm upgrading to one that will do over 100Hz at lower resolutions within the next couple months.

If your CRT glows too much for you turn down the brighness or contrast. Any monitor is capable of doing that, even the shitty TFTs.
0 x

User avatar
SinbadEV
Posts: 6475
Joined: 02 May 2005, 03:56

Post by SinbadEV »

0 x

User avatar
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead
Posts: 7287
Joined: 12 Aug 2005, 09:29

Post by SwiftSpear »

SinbadEV wrote:why companies buy TFTs http://www.geocities.com/theonlybendavis/desks.jpg
Yup. LCD are worth it when you pay an arm and a leg for floorspace on the 50th floor of X building that charges 5 figure monthly rental rates. LCDs are worth it for the lan party whore who has a nearly infinate ammount of incoming funds to build a system that is absolutly devistating, but the fact of the matter is, MOST gamers aren't struggling to fit thier desktops into thier home desks, and you see a MASSIVE preformace boost when you buy CRT in the same price range as LCD. When I play CAL matches from home 100hz refreshrate in perfect color and with zero screen archiving on update is worth its weight in gold and then some. If the only thing you ever do with your monitor is write up reports then the only difference you will ever knowtice is the ammount of desk space the LCD doesn't require, which seems worth the extra 100 some odd dollars, but when your monitor is the difference between watching the rest of the round and owning n00b CTs, you instantly realize how much LCD monitors suck ass.
0 x

User avatar
FireCrack
Posts: 676
Joined: 19 Jul 2005, 09:33

Post by FireCrack »

pfft.. evreyone giving flak to TFT's doesnt understand how much better and cheaper they've become in the last few years. My $300 TFT vastly outpreforms my $250 CRT
0 x

User avatar
Caydr
Omnidouche
Posts: 7179
Joined: 16 Oct 2004, 19:40

Post by Caydr »

That's because your $250 CRT was a sony! :lol:
0 x

User avatar
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead
Posts: 7287
Joined: 12 Aug 2005, 09:29

Post by SwiftSpear »

FireCrack wrote:pfft.. evreyone giving flak to TFT's doesnt understand how much better and cheaper they've become in the last few years. My $300 TFT vastly outpreforms my $250 CRT
A $250 CRT would have a 19" screen... There is no way in hell you can find a TFT with an 18" for under 350... and even then it will probably drasticly suffer in preformance. Maby you didn't account for the drop in CRT prices as well?
0 x

User avatar
aGorm
Posts: 2928
Joined: 12 Jan 2005, 10:25

Post by aGorm »

Were Sony... we dont give a fuck about Pants!!

aGorm
0 x

User avatar
Maelstrom
Posts: 1950
Joined: 23 Jul 2005, 14:52

Post by Maelstrom »

So some people here read CAD as well. That one was good hey?
0 x

User avatar
Min3mat
Posts: 3455
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 20:19

Post by Min3mat »

hehe yeah. i hope that girl kills the fat guy soon :-)
0 x

maverick256
Posts: 115
Joined: 21 Sep 2004, 19:41

Post by maverick256 »

well, my LCD works at 1920X1200, so no complaining here :-P (ok, maybe a small complaint: the text can be too small sometimes, being a 15.4 inch screen, but one gets use to it.) The refresh rate works a bit differently on CRTs than TFTs, so even at much lower refresh rate (60 Hz) you won't notice flicker on TFTs, while 60 Hz on a CRT would drive me insane (with a headache). And TFTs are definitely gentler on the eyes.
0 x

User avatar
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead
Posts: 7287
Joined: 12 Aug 2005, 09:29

Post by SwiftSpear »

maverick256 wrote:well, my LCD works at 1920X1200, so no complaining here :-P (ok, maybe a small complaint: the text can be too small sometimes, being a 15.4 inch screen, but one gets use to it.) The refresh rate works a bit differently on CRTs than TFTs, so even at much lower refresh rate (60 Hz) you won't notice flicker on TFTs, while 60 Hz on a CRT would drive me insane (with a headache). And TFTs are definitely gentler on the eyes.
Wow. You will never acctually need that ratio on a screen that small... It sounds like a pretty high quality TFT monitor, dispite not being huge. Really, there are TFT out there that work good, but they are generally not cost effective for a gamer. Read any monitor review site out there, they will recommend gamers by CRT. The TFT that provide similar preformace specifics are generally WAY over the price of the equivalent CRT. Sony has a really nice TFT out that has vertually no screen archiving on refresh, but it also is one of the most expensive TFT you can buy.
0 x

User avatar
Zenka
Posts: 1235
Joined: 05 Oct 2005, 15:29

Post by Zenka »

aGorm wrote:Zenka:

Nope I play spring at 1280*1024. Theres no need for it to be high. However for graphical work, like photoshop, flash, swish, I need all teh space i can get.

Also those say dont dis till you got one... I got one at work. Its very nice. Its fine for office use. however i would not put a game on it in a million years. (thats not to say i wont put one on a TFT from a milllion years in teh futer they will be pretty good by then.)

And I have yet to find a TFT that depicts the colour 15 rgb off black susessfully. They dont. they go grey grey grey Balck (off in other wors...)

aGorm
Well, I run 2 monitors (the second one is an 15" CRT) so I got my space. (Actually 3 screens would be better, but hey, I only got 1 3D card).
As for color contrast (black is black and color is not black) I already mentioned I've no problems at all. I keep being amazed by it.

As for gaming, I partially agree with you. There are games that runs great (FEAR, Half-Life 2, Spring, etc.) and there are some who doesn't. Up to now only EVE online didn't look good (quite bad actually).
0 x

User avatar
aGorm
Posts: 2928
Joined: 12 Jan 2005, 10:25

Post by aGorm »

Use a paint program and put down a near black grey and a black space next to each other. (by near black i mean just a few RGB's off) and you'll see its way more noticable on a TFT. WAY more. Just my experiances...

aGorm
0 x

User avatar
Zenka
Posts: 1235
Joined: 05 Oct 2005, 15:29

Post by Zenka »

aGorm wrote:Use a paint program and put down a near black grey and a black space next to each other. (by near black i mean just a few RGB's off) and you'll see its way more noticable on a TFT. WAY more. Just my experiances...

aGorm
Hmm yes, when a black squares and a near black(say 5 RGB) are next to each other, you can't see the difference. But when some other squares are places (RGB 3, RGB 10) you can recognize them all. (The screen gives a higher contrast when the screen goes more dark).
Can't give you a screenie though :)
0 x

User avatar
aGorm
Posts: 2928
Joined: 12 Jan 2005, 10:25

Post by aGorm »

Just incase anyones wondering why it does't do the very dark greys properly... It's due to teh way teh TFT works. Pixels can be OFF (black) or ON in varing degrees, but as each pixel has a point (well 3 points as each pixel is 3 dots...) were if you put to little power in it it wont come on its very hard to get the near black colours. Ofcourse technicly its not the "dots" making the colour, there just letting light through from behind... another problem with some TFT's (note not all, just the cheap ones) is that teh backlight does not sine through evenly across teh whole screen, for some graphics work that could be a major bummer...

aGorm
0 x

User avatar
Caydr
Omnidouche
Posts: 7179
Joined: 16 Oct 2004, 19:40

Post by Caydr »

TFTs are for people that don't use computers for anything besides word processing and the internet. And that's 90% of the world. But for everything else, CRTs are just more flexible and a helluva lot cheaper.
0 x

Post Reply

Return to “Art & Modelling”