Random wip 2012+ - Page 26

Random wip 2012+

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

rattle
Damned Developer

Re: Random wip 2012+

Post by rattle »

cool shit.. strong resemblence to heavy gear
smoth

Post by smoth »

Probably only that mech is going to be very heavy gear/front mission.

Image(click for larger)

Worth noting:
(The hawk is incomplete as is the gold mech)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

DAT YOU BRO?
knorke

Post by knorke »

look at mah rocket launcher:
marks the target with a flare so it is impossible to miss!
but accuracy does not matter so much because it clusters.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Attachments
cyberingame.jpg
(690.82 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

aGorm wrote:Image
Drool!

Dude, seriously, like, WOW, that is like, ART or something... I know you've got a lot of work to do so it would feel like a tease, but this screenshot should be on the front page.
CaptainBenz

Post by CaptainBenz »

Is is just the lack of teamcolour or does it really need more contrast?
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Holy jebus that's sweet.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

awesome

could certainly use teamcolor and more contrast in general but i'm sure once you've added things like specular and normals, it would look great as-is.

texture is a very interesting style; almost looks drawn with a pencil.
smoth

Post by smoth »

More contrast

Looks great
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Slight AO-bake will also help it a lot.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Hoi wrote:Slight AO-bake will also help it a lot.
Yeah, I wanted to say this.

Make sure your UVmap doesn't have different overlapping parts, though, because otherwise, you're going to have some weird results.
CaptainBenz

Post by CaptainBenz »

Tweaked the texture and used the magic of AO baking.

Anyways, thanks for the advice, I didnt even know what Ambient Occlusion is :shock:
smoth

Post by smoth »

personally, I think ao is a waste of time. This coming from the guy who did spend years shading all my his models, it is wasted on all these people.

They are looking at the model in the thread and critiquing it like that is the zoom they play at. They play way zoomed out, so a lot of the critiques come from people wanting FPS subtlety with it working at RTS zoom. They don't look at it from rts perspective, they go hmm at this zoom, it looks like it needs subtle shadows. You cannot really have that because once you are zoomed out to rts levels, the subtitles are lost.

you have to do a mix of low zoom details(all the panel lines you have cover that) and high zoom level details(the glowing/teamcolor stuff does that). Zoom out until the model is about 10mm on your screen. If it looks like a grey blob, then you need to increase the brightness of the teamcolor and white panels. Things like AO are a waste unless your models are mostly solid color like Agorms. Units have lighting in game, unless you are expressing geometric details via shadow, I recommend just going by what the model looks like on a map with proper lighting.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

@Smoth - to be fair, he's modeling a replacement for the Detriment (ZK's Krogoth), which is by far the largest unit in the game. You *will* be seeing this thing in large-enough scale that you'll be able to make out some of that obsessive detail.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Stil a waste to do ao
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

@smoth: If you plan your uvmap right, AO takes ~15 minutes. Time cost is pretty low, even if it makes little difference from very far out. AO + solid colors also makes a great quick base for a texture. When I was texturing planes for that WP7 thing God was doing, that's what I used.

@benz: Consider adding edge highlighting -- use a small bright-colored brush or the dodge tool to brighten areas where metal would gleam, usually near hard edges. It's hard for me to explain via text -- Cremuss does it at about 14 minutes into this video.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Looking good. Regarding the legs where are the moving parts? I often end up trying to animate things that couldn't technically walk.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

MidKnight wrote:@smoth: If you plan your uvmap right, AO takes ~15 minutes.
What do you mean with "plan your UV map right"? I don't see how that involves special planning. If you got issues with mirrored parts putting different data on the UV map then just cut the UV coords from one half of the model when you do the bake, that also works for normalmap baking.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

KDR_11k wrote:
MidKnight wrote:@smoth: If you plan your uvmap right, AO takes ~15 minutes.
What do you mean with "plan your UV map right"? I don't see how that involves special planning. If you got issues with mirrored parts putting different data on the UV map then just cut the UV coords from one half of the model when you do the bake, that also works for normalmap baking.
If you're mapping, say, gun barrels and leg pieces to the same part of the texture, you can't bake UV to one without making the other look weird. Doing that may be bad practice to start with, I dunno, but it's what I had in mind with "plan your UVmap."

Return to “Art & Modelling”