Ok guys, here's the deal

Ok guys, here's the deal

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Wolf-In-Exile

Ok guys, here's the deal

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

Firstly, I may not come here very often as I did before, but I still do drop by and see what's going on and how the community is progressing.

Now, i've seen my work passed around the community, and sometimes people modifying and using them without my knowledge or permission so I want to set the record straight.

Unless I have explicitly stated that a particular work is CC/community/free for all, it is all rights reserved.

I will list some of the stuff I have done here to make things clearer.

My work on the Battletech mod is not CC. Which means no modifying, kitbashing and/or using them in your project without getting my explicit permission.

As for the textures I did for bobthedinosaur's mech models, they are not CC, though its his call on how he wants to release his models.
For existing kitbashes of my non-CC work, please do not share or release them unless you have my permission.

All the work I have done for the Star Wars mod is also not CC.

I have OKed my work to be used in your Battletech: Legacy mod, Spikedhelmet, but if you want to modify them please ask me, thanks. :-)

The Spherebot's texture is as per CA's license.

The miscellaneous stuff like the low poly birds, trees and map features for WorldBuilder/community is CC.

The A-10 texture I have done for bob, I defer to him the right to decide how he wants to release it.

If you wish to use, share or modify my non-CC work for any reason, please have the courtesy of informing me and asking for permission first.

Thanks!
smoth

Re: Ok guys, here's the deal

Post by smoth »

Thanks for the clarification. Does this mean that you do not want people modifying the stuff in eow?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Well wait a second... What's the point of keeping your work unmodifiable if you aren't even going to be here to see it? That's silly. Of course it's still your choice, but if it's stuff that you aren't going to bother to look at again, then why would you care?

Somehow I sense that eow just got flushed down the toilet, and that's a fucking shame.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Forboding Angel wrote:Somehow I sense that eow just got flushed down the toilet, and that's a fucking shame.
No it didn't
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Spiked actually tried to ask bob to ask you if he could modify the models.

Which is lol, because if anyone doesn't give a flaming monkey dropping, it'd be him.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

:shock:
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

I only asked because I respect WiE as an artist, I don't usually extend such courtesy.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Sounds pretty straight forward. What have you been busy with these days, Wolf?
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

I posted this due to the cumulative effect of what i've seen over the years i've been here, its not aimed at any single person or mod.
Also i'm not blaming anyone for anything, and I appreciate that some people like my work enough to kitbash it, I just wanted to make things clear so there won't be problems in the future.
Forboding Angel wrote:Well wait a second... What's the point of keeping your work unmodifiable if you aren't even going to be here to see it? That's silly. Of course it's still your choice, but if it's stuff that you aren't going to bother to look at again, then why would you care?

Somehow I sense that eow just got flushed down the toilet, and that's a fucking shame.
Whether i'm going to be around or not is moot.
When I do things for a specific mod, I don't like nor want to see it repurposed for something else without being asked permission, even if its old work, as I still care about what I do and have done.

I've discussed EoW with seanheron who was good enough to PM me about his mod, and no, i'm not being a dick about that, but what we discussed is P&C due to the fact that his mod is under closed dev so I intend to respect that. If you have questions you should ask sean.
FLOZi wrote:Spiked actually tried to ask bob to ask you if he could modify the models.

Which is lol, because if anyone doesn't give a flaming monkey dropping, it'd be him.
I'm still alive and I visit here, so anyone with questions can PM me directly lol.
SpikedHelmet wrote:I only asked because I respect WiE as an artist, I don't usually extend such courtesy.
And for that you have my sincere thanks, I wish you luck for the Battletech: Legacy mod, the design docu looks solid. :-)
Neddie wrote:Sounds pretty straight forward. What have you been busy with these days, Wolf?
Heya Neddie, currently taking a break from my work to do a intensive course on games art, I missed the feeling of not having to answer to a boss. :P
I've been getting in some modding work as well, though now its mostly for other projects as I wanted to learn high poly modelling for making normal maps as well as rigging and animation.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Fair deal I think. And as Wolf-In-Exile said, we've been in contact with each other, so no complaints from me.
I also fully agree with smoth - no, this certainly isn't a killer for Engines of War.

Interesting to hear what you're up to otherwise Wolf, hope the course is productive (and I can understand the sentiment on the boss :P).
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Sean, you can still use his textures. It would be a shame and a waste not to! You just have to coordinate with him any modifications so his work is not altered /botched with out his consent.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I think this all sounds pretty reasonable from Wolf.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

somthing wolf made a long time ago for a game he no longer plays is being used by other people to have fun and make other non-profit games? it dosnt sound reasonable, but it sounds very human
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:somthing wolf made a long time ago for a game he no longer plays is being used by other people to have fun and make other non-profit games? it doesn't sound reasonable, but it sounds very human
^^ That was pretty much what I thought.
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:somthing wolf made a long time ago for a game he no longer plays is being used by other people to have fun and make other non-profit games? it dosnt sound reasonable, but it sounds very human
People who don't even have the decency to ask for permission to use someone else's artwork are not entitled to it, let alone modify it.

Sounds very human? Why yes, I am a human, not some automaton that churns out models and textures and then doesn't give a shit about them afterwards.

I have a professional responsibility towards my work, and unless some people are so thick that they didn't notice, the work I stated as non-CC are from copyrighted material by big companies who can sue the fuck out of people like me for more money than I will see in my lifetime.
You might scoff and say its unlikely to happen, but precedence exists and its not a chance I want to take.

And being unreasonable?
Requesting people to do what they're supposed to do by asking if they can use my work is unreasonable? Has being polite and respecting other people somehow been forgotten?

I believe I have been more than reasonable in regards to my work. And if anyone feels otherwise, as the saying goes, you can't please everyone.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Wait a second: Lets try to attempt a little role reversal.
We are the evil haxxors, not giving a damn about ip-infringment, for exampel when it comes to making a FASA-Mod, not carin about ATARI who should be scarin. And now, we get fringinfights? Thats a really good one, just when you think the flames are gone, the stove grows cold.. somebody comes, and gets back some sparks from unkown flintstone.

Once it is out of pandoras box into the intertubes, all the kings horses and all the kings men wont get your modells back into your portfolio again. If you dont have enough money to burn, so you can make it a hobby to lawsuit nerdy teens, you just have to live with it.

Wait Emannu is using JW-Buildings in Tutomod? This is a outrage, i demand a formal apoloy. A Kotau. Seee this hand, its shivering from pure hatred, this web was made to adore me, not to screw me over. Im the only creative part of the copy and paste culture, i wont allow my meshs-meshed up. ;)

Although ive got to admit, Wolf-in-Exile, your units had style, and the copycats didnt have it. But then- this is OpenSource, coming close to it, is like getting the plague.

Igor, bring in the body of the dead mods, we gonna build a new one. Lesser the Stiches. Plug in the Cable. Bring the brainz. Lightning. IT lives, it lives. I will call it a Zak-rogoth-omni-CAT
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

I'd tried to put it politely and hoped the discussion would peter out. Since it hasn't:
I really don't get what people here, stating in various flavors that Wolf's statement/clarification is "unreasonable", are hoping to achieve. If it's aimed at the terms of use, I have this to say (Besides obvious issues Wolf pointed out): I'm a staunch supporter of the open-source movement, but at the same time, I'll all out defend artists (or coders, etc.) right to licence their work in whichever way they find appropriate - dismantling copyright is hardly the way to go. And please, assuming everyone will give away everything he makes is totally innapropriate.

If it aims at the Engine Textures that Smoth made variants on I'll say this: The problem here was not Wolf's stance on the texture's use, but that I fucked up hard with the timing of asking him.

Sorry if I'm harsh, but I'm really cringing to see Wolf forced to defend his position here.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Yes, and i slightly tip you towards the direction of ugly reality. Do you really want to take some stupid kids to court, just for some s3os?

I respect Wolf-in-Exiles Position, and wouldnt rip-off his work, but srsly, who with a portfolio (and the ability to make a name on your own) would do that anyway? So what remains are some youngesters, running around with some stolen pieces- and he seriously claims that damages his reputation? Does a remake of a protoss in Spore damage Blizzard? Does a fanmade mod really take you customers? Grow up, accept the world, be less butthurt, maybe your work even gets improved.

Somebody out there took trenches, fixed metall layout, starting positions, and you know what, im gratefull. Maybee one day somebody makes a re-make, and i can point my grandchildren towards, and say: "Hey, i did the original, when i was young."
"Sure you did, Grandpacasso!" ( and they wont believe me, those ungratefull bastards)
smoth

Post by smoth »

From what I understand it is just that the hodge podge franken models that we are seeing a lot of look like crap and I cannot blame him for wanting to put a stop to that. Obviously the guys who are using his models need to get permission to be able to alter said work for the project(should tweaks need to be made).

I don't think wolf is saying you can NEVER EVAR edit his work but considering the monstrosities of the kitbashes I see around here I can understand his sentiment.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

This thread in 2 days

The guys made it clear what he wants, and theres nought that can be done to change his mind, and he has the agreement of some senior community members. Steer clear of the iminent flamepit and fasten seatbelts.

Return to “Art & Modelling”