Detailed crawler/spider model pics included - Page 3

Detailed crawler/spider model pics included

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

scifi

Re: Detailed crawler/spider model pics included

Post by scifi »

MidKnight wrote:From what I can tell, Scifi is texturing this because he wants to learn how to make epic textures for his epic models, and not depend on somebody else or to kitbash other peoples' textures. I think that's a good thing to do. :-)

tx ^^

yeah precisely, only way to learn :wink:
MergeNine

Post by MergeNine »

Nice texture, I like the bumpy panelling especially. The UV map could be using up a lot more of the available space though so you get more the the detail you've put in showing on the model. Out of interest what do you use for that raised bump effect on the panels? I've been using paintshop pro's bevel effect alot to achieve something like that but to meh effect.
scifi

Post by scifi »

you can do two things

1┬║ Get a bumpy texture, add a new layer and overlay

2┬║ Make normal maps, this can be done easily with genetica studios

heres a version with even more BUMP
find it in the pirate bay theres a torrent there

yanom

Post by yanom »

I've got an idea: the guns on the front can be super-high-speed mid/long-range artillery guns, and the cone feet can dig into the ground to prevent recoil from knocking the machine off its feet. It would be a support walker that pummels the enemy base as your army rushes in.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

This is the biggest nightmare to texture or uvmap i have ever seen. Period. Mirror and reuse your uvspace A LOT if you're planning on seriously uvmapping this. I'd suggest cutting down the polygons a lot and using the high res model for a normal map etc.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Saktoth wrote:This is the biggest nightmare to texture or uvmap i have ever seen. Period. Mirror and reuse your uvspace A LOT if you're planning on seriously uvmapping this. I'd suggest cutting down the polygons a lot and using the high res model for a normal map etc.
While it is a complicated model, skimping on the uvmap with a ton of mirroring would be akin to putting a Honda Civic body on luxury sports car. For one, how would you do the AO bake?

I'm not saying that mirroring the UV is a bad idea, but freaking out and going overboard with the uvmap folding is an easy way to squander the potential of a great unit.

My advice: don't worry about the polies and the texture size. Do what's comfortable, then do a decimate/texture bake and rescale the texture if it turns out too complicated.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

It looks like he's already mirroring. That's good, but I think the space can be optimised more.

If you want an ao bake when you mirror you simply make a backup of the model, drag everything that's overlayed out of the uv map, render ao and then get the backup.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

You shouldn't mirror parts that are shaded differently. Apart from that, no disagreements.

It'd really help if you gave us a WIP shot of the textured model. :-)
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

I WANT TO SEE THIS THING TEXTURE HOLY FUCK.
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

impressive
Elvaron

Post by Elvaron »

Uhm. Why not just texture in zBrush then export (or GoZ :D) to your software (3ds isnt it?) and not care whether the raw uv map zbrush produces looks pleasing to the human eye?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

That would involve owning those programs.

Return to “Art & Modelling”