Core T1 Kbot remake - Page 4

Core T1 Kbot remake

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Gota

Re: Core T1 Kbot remake

Post by Gota »

Behe you think u can add a bit of artificial lightning to your units?

All that lightning and shadows are in the texture...It doesnt look weird when you play the game while making the units feel more metalic.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

That's a per-face textured 3do model using OTA textures.
There are no shadows on it to speak of, merely the occasional clever color choices.
My units have reflectivity, just not on these screenshots (as they are mainly from Wings). They also have AO bakes.

What the hell kind of lightning are you speaking of? You mean the gradient shaded stuff?

And the stretched quads?

Get a clue man, DIY (tip: crank up the reflectivity channel in texture2) and don't ever request anything from me again.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

An AO bake is good, but if you really want nice preshading then you need to do it by hand too.

Your models have very flat looking areas in the viewport. If you paint some highlights, assuming a light source from the top (like a sun) then I promise you it will look a lot better.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Beherith wrote:That's a per-face textured 3do model using OTA textures.
There are no shadows on it to speak of, merely the occasional clever color choices.
My units have reflectivity, just not on these screenshots (as they are mainly from Wings). They also have AO bakes.

What the hell kind of lightning are you speaking of? You mean the gradient shaded stuff?

And the stretched quads?

Get a clue man, DIY (tip: crank up the reflectivity channel in texture2) and don't ever request anything from me again.
Heh...jesus...
I didnt mean actual shadows i meant the coloring that makes it look like those are shadows.
When you turn reflections on in spring units,especially non 3do units still seem a bit blend.
I assume its the engine's fault.
they look plastic like but wrapped in nylon...XD
It just looks different..What can i do if these OTA units look more metalic..
I dont see what reason you have to be angry.

All i want is to use your models in sa and im looking how to make all the different unit sets fit better together.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Just to explain better:

I spent only 5 minutes on this, but you can see I got rid of the flatness a bit.

You need stronger highlights, more highlights, a little hint of blue in the highlights and a bit of red in the shadows. Also try to break the flat areas by changing the lightning in the center/on the edges of big faces. Get some noise on your metal (find a nice noisy texture, or do the render clouds+sponge thing), and then add a layer mask on it, and invert the mask. Put it on like, overlay and paint white on the layer mask to add noise where you need it.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Thx for the clearer explanation Hoi.
But I am 99% sure I wont be revisiting these models. Its just too much work, and I have way too many things to do already.
Source (Wings files and Fireworks PNG files) are freely available on request, all CC license of course.

I told you what you need to do Gota: crank up GREEN channel in the texture files. It will look way closer to what you want. Hell you can do whatever the hell you want with them - CA turned the AK into an awesome clogger, I seriously lolled when I saw it. Just dont ask me to do it for you.

Edit: It does look way better Hoi, did you do that on the texture or the screenshot?
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Screenshot obviously, I am lazy :)

Yeah, I don't like changing my old work too. Just remember it when you start something new. Contrast and highlight/shadow placement are the key to a texture full of life.

Think of how materials are different, and how that should affect the way you make them. Just one example, what really shows that metal is metal is the specular, the high reflectiveness. If you look at a piece of metal in real life there is no way it's all the same brightness. You can find very dark and very bright colors.

The reason for the big improvement is just a little bit of highlight/shadow variation.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Hoi's trasnformation looks better but some parts still look like concrete dont they?like the head...
Perhaps its a result of a lot of solid color?
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Gota wrote:Hoi's trasnformation looks better but some parts still look like concrete dont they?like the head...
It's because I didn't spend a lot of time on it :wink:
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Gota wrote:Hoi's trasnformation looks better but some parts still look like concrete dont they?like the head...
Yes it's definitely improvement. Preshading can do magic. You just need to make more highlights and add more contrast to get it even more metallic look, but yes, it means some manual handwork...

Return to “Art & Modelling”