Spline-modelling Overseight

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

well, if somebody here does spline-modelling, i have a question- how do you keep the overseight when a Object gets complexer? Is there another way, than seperating it in spline-parts (with the annoying reconnect work later)?

Everytime i have something more complex and get the handles for the bezier-curve, i have to step-back (turning the view around left and right) to realize what parts of my modell i am looking at. In WorstCases (modelling half-transparent interior-stuff) if have to constantly flip on- off surface to see what i am looking upon.

Son any hints, tips, tricks, anybody?
oversight.jpg
(779.57 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
I know, this is a simple object, but you can imagine nowhow the complex ones look.
Guessmyname

Re: Spline-modelling Overseight

Post by Guessmyname »

Apply a Surface modifier? That would make it clearer what's on top of what. Show/Hide objects could also be used.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

that surface modifier-activation, deactivations is slow, and wonder of wonders, can be messed up too, i hoped for something like colourchange by distance from camera would exist
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Oh lord! You spline model!!!???
FUCK!

You sir have far more patience than I.

My 3D Modeling Professor had an after-class workshop where he attempted to show us Spline Modeling, I shat my pants and went back to edge modeling. You my friend have balls of steel.
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

I've honestly never found splines to be much more useful than regular mesh creation or using preset shapes.

Its good for creating custom shapes quickly, but you still gotta go back and redo polygons and all sorts of extra work to clean it up.

At least thats my experience with splines in max, especially when you're going to be extruding a face or bevel and start forming its shape in other directions and you want the shading to turn out descent.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

if done correctly you dont even have to extrude- just copy spline, shrink or supersize and reconnect. And its great for organic stuff. Giving curves and such... i usually dont move polys around, well besides- soft selection, hill down, hill up, such stuff.

Return to “Art & Modelling”