Glest content, ready to be imported into your fantasy mod!

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Just taking a look at the Glest models, which are GPL, and they are in a .max file. If someone could export them as .3ds then they could be worked into spring. Dont worry about bones/rigging/animation since thats useless for spring.

http://www.glest.org/files/misc/

Edit: Sheekel did it, look below!
Last edited by Saktoth on 01 Nov 2009, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
Sheekel

Re: Need someone with 3d max (again) to export Glest files

Post by Sheekel »

Saktoth wrote: Dont worry about bones/rigging/animation since thats useless for spring.
On a side note has there been any progress on this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwL67-loGWU

Seems it was close working a year a go..

I'll export the files when I get into work later if you havent received them already.
smoth

Post by smoth »

zpock had all sorts of awesome goodies that never saw the light of release. :(
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

Glest models in 3DS format, includes original files:

http://www.springfiles.com/show_file.php?id=2354

shame about the lack of release from zpock, spring's ancient anim format is really holding the content creators back.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Damn, thats amazing looking.

Thanks Sheekel. There you go, all you fantasy mods, use that. The buildings shouldnt even require any edits.
smoth

Re: Glest content, ready to be imported into your fantasy mod!

Post by smoth »

3ds breaks all of the wields can you do them as .objs?
Argh

Post by Argh »

All I see are some low-poly guys and a few weapon meshes here. Where is the rest of it?

NVM, getting the data, I'll take a look at their exporter tools, see what can be done.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Whee. This requires a Python wizard, and it appears to want an old version of Blender. The models look like they'd be well-worth scraping out of the source, if that can be done, though.
wilbefast

Post by wilbefast »

Sheekel wrote:
Saktoth wrote: Dont worry about bones/rigging/animation since thats useless for spring.
On a side note has there been any progress on this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwL67-loGWU
That certainly would be nice...
Argh

Post by Argh »

OK, after prodding Blender for a bit... I can export the models to OBJ.

That's the good news. In theory, I could make a Fantasy kit for World Builder. Yay.

The bad news is that they're basically useless for Spring, until somebody figures out what textures each one needs, converts the textures into atlases, and does some pretty big edits to the resulting skins.

Glest, like any decent, modern game engine, supports multiple skins per model, configured in this case via XML. So Spring's ass-backwards approach is a big problem here (as usual). On the other hand, I don't see any signs of secondary textures, so I'll bet, with a bit of work (OK, a lot of work) we could make Glest's meshes look pretty damn phenomenal in Spring, since we can do glow, etc.

But we're talking expert work, to make it work with Spring atm. I don't suppose anybody else in that category wants fantasy art enough to help, if I decide to sink time into this?

That, and the whole process is a time-consuming pain in the ass, due to Blender's terrible UI and file-system process.

But, as the shot shows... it's doable. Just. Not. Fun.
Attachments
glest_magictower.jpg
glest_magictower.jpg (34.48 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
Argh

Post by Argh »

Some good news. The buildings and main characters don't use the multiple-texture method (they were built early, go figure). So that means that they aren't a massive pain in the arse. It sucks that a lot of the "tileset" stuff isn't so nice that way, since that's precisely the data I'd like to raid the most, but what the hell, I can always do that the hard way, or just make some "fantasy trees" myself, it's not the end of the world.

So... I've been able to extract the castle, the blacksmith's shop, the blimp, and other things. Pretty cool models, really. Some of them will have to be broken up into Pieces manually, since we don't have G3D's IK animation system, but whatever, most them will be OK, except for the purely organic stuff.

One thing to note: without using Kloot's normalmap shader or a cut-down version that just does translucency, a lot of these models won't look like they're supposed to. Glest apparently likes to use translucency... a lot.

I guess I'll make a normalmap and convert one of these fully, see how that goes. The price is certainly right and the license seems to be OK. Glest Team requires credit for use of their data btw, it's not GPL, but that's basically what CC-SA requires. There are no commercial restrictions (although I will ask them and make sure), so I have no legal issues putting their work into World Builder and sending them a friendly email- they're working on advanced rendering stuff, so they might get a kick out've seeing what their work will look like when they're done.
wilbefast

Post by wilbefast »

Argh wrote:Glest, like any decent, modern game engine, supports multiple skins per model, configured in this case via XML. So Spring's ass-backwards approach is a big problem here (as usual).
Ouch - but this is why we need to attempt projects like giving Spring a Fantasy mod, rather than making endless robot ones: rattle the cage a bit, push the limitations of the engine, broaden it's appeal.

:mrgreen: Anyway, keep up the good work Argh! CarRepairer will be thrilled!
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

wilbefast wrote:
Argh wrote:Glest, like any decent, modern game engine, supports multiple skins per model, configured in this case via XML. So Spring's ass-backwards approach is a big problem here (as usual).
Ouch - but this is why we need to attempt projects like giving Spring a Fantasy mod, rather than making endless robot ones: rattle the cage a bit, push the limitations of the engine, broaden it's appeal.

:mrgreen: Anyway, keep up the good work Argh! CarRepairer will be thrilled!
Multiple textures isn't stopping the fantasy mod - it's the part-based-animation only. No vertex or bone animation means no realistic organic creatures.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

I did a bit of work on the armoured knight, he is cut up into animatable pieces but i need to shuffle with the texture some, i not only had to add extra polygons on the edges i also mirrored him down the middle for more effecient texture usage.

(Hey, i said i wouldnt work on the fantasy mod, but so sue me- i managed to extract vague promises from maackey and Car that if i do this they might help on 1faction more so consider it a talent exchange program).

The buildings should be particularly easy, since they dont need to be animated so you can probably use them wholesale.

I agree the tileset stuff is some of the best, i particularly like the trees. Dont springs default trees use two textures? How is that done?

Either way if you can get these into wings (which if you can export as .obj, you can) then putting them both on one uvmap should be easy peasy.

On GPL etc: You're right, the only mention of the GPL i can find is on the Glest wikipedia entry. The liscence.txt as included with the game reserves full copyright for the works and doesnt mention the GPL.

Either way, the character models offered on that model sharing website i linked in the fantasy thread on mods and games makes those models available for 'unrestricted use', so there is that.
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

smoth wrote:3ds breaks all of the wields can you do them as .objs?
I am away from my dev computer until wednesday (gmt-5) so unfortunately I cannot do this until then.

It sounds as though argh has those working, perhaps he can upload the OBJs?
wilbefast

Post by wilbefast »

Pxtl wrote:
wilbefast wrote:this is why we need to attempt projects like giving Spring a Fantasy mod, rather than making endless robot ones: rattle the cage a bit, push the limitations of the engine, broaden it's appeal.
Multiple textures isn't stopping the fantasy mod - it's the part-based-animation only. No vertex or bone animation means no realistic organic creatures.
I never said it was the only reason - I was actually thinking more about the lack of model deformation and simplistic rigid-body animation, but so long as people are content to make robot mods they'll never be the push to add such features because they won't be needed. Hence the aforementioned stirring up of things :wink:

You might be thinking "why not make mods for Glest instead if it supports these features already?"
The reason is that Spring has a lot of features that Glest doesn't. Spring is far more than just giant robot battles: I for one picked Spring as my RTS of choice because of its massive scale, interesting simulation-based strategic options and deep economy model - I'm yet to find a fantasy/historic RTS that really features these things: fun though Glest may be, the maps are just too cramped for me.
Argh

Post by Argh »

I did a bit of work on the armoured knight, he is cut up into animatable pieces but i need to shuffle with the texture some, i not only had to add extra polygons on the edges i also mirrored him down the middle for more effecient texture usage.

(Hey, i said i wouldnt work on the fantasy mod, but so sue me- i managed to extract vague promises from maackey and Car that if i do this they might help on 1faction more so consider it a talent exchange program).
Get 'er dun, if you can mirror them, We could even cut the texture size a bit more and atlas 3-5 characters on a 512...
The buildings should be particularly easy, since they dont need to be animated so you can probably use them wholesale.
Yeah, they're easy. I can't get Blender to export certain things without crashing, btw- mainly the characters with multiple states (i.e., units).
I agree the tileset stuff is some of the best, i particularly like the trees. Dont springs default trees use two textures? How is that done?
Spring trees use a procedure and two textures, they're pure OpenGL. Anyhow, don't worry about that, I can (and will) atlas them by hand, now that I have the process of export down to something like a science. Atlasing by hand is not that bad. And, luckily for everybody, very few of the trees require atlases- it's stuff like the rocks, bushes, etc, where they mixed media. Strange content process, tbh, I have to assume that most of this was made much later. It's a pity that shadows are still broken on Spring, for transparency- some of this stuff will look great with shadows off, and will look pretty 'orrible with them on. Maybe I can figure out a way to make certain objects not cast shadows...
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

You could possibly crinkle-cut the edges of the leaf-planes, so that the shadow at least looks more organic (if too dense).

I dont know about putting 3-5 characters on a single 512, but ill surely try and cut down on uvmap waste.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Got permission from Glest team to use the models, woot. I'll find time to export them soonish.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Under what license?

Because GPL etc would imply unlimited redistribution.

Return to “Art & Modelling”