Simple question.

Simple question.

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Regret

Simple question.

Post by Regret »

Why do two people get to have their work stickied on top of this forum while all the rest don't get the same privilege?
Hoi

Re: Simple question.

Post by Hoi »

I don't see any other thread with free, good looking, scripted and textured units.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Hoi wrote:I don't see any other thread with free, good looking, textured units.
fixed
Last edited by Gota on 07 Sep 2009, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Hoi wrote:I don't see any other thread with free, good looking, scripted and textured units.
You're kidding right?

There are dozens.

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19052
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17630

I pulled that just by going to 2nd page.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

No offense but half of midknights stuff is either ugly or not efficient. And modelbase... it's 75% crap 15% ok and 10% (very) good.

A thread that would list all the good and ok stuff would be worth a sticky.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

How about we just sticky the modelbase threads?
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

God no. They are constantly bumped anyway.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Hoi wrote:No offense but half of midknights stuff is either ugly or not efficient. And modelbase... it's 75% crap 15% ok and 10% (very) good.

A thread that would list all the good and ok stuff would be worth a sticky.
??

Should every fucking lua widget have a sticky just like every model maker has one? This is unfair to every artist here.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Lua widgets have their place in jobjol and the widget downloader. If you truly want these stickies gone, upload every model/texture/script inside them to ModelBase, with relevant completion information and correct licenses/authors/attributions. The people in #ca would be glad to help you if you encounter as problem at any point in this process.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

That's why I say: everything in one thread and that's a sticky.

So combine the two stickies and then get the good stuff from midknight and modelbase (that works 100% and looks good, scripted, ect ect).

Modelbase is not useful for this because really most of it is crap.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Making only modelbase sticky and uploading shit to it sounds like the best idea. Someone with the models already download should do it since they are free. And even until then there is no reason to keep those two sticky, they won't disappear.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Regret wrote:Making only modelbase sticky and uploading shit to it sounds like the best idea.
No. If I need some units I want good ones that work, not bad ones made by a nooby modeler who is trying to learn.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Hoi wrote:No. If I need some units I want good ones that work, not bad ones made by a nooby modeler who is trying to learn.
? then search for them in the model database. There is no purpose in having someones shitty TA remakes as a sticky just to boost e-peen.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

It doesn't matter what it is, as long as it look good and works... the point is that it's not needed to search what's good and what's crap because the good stuff is in one sticky.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Hoi wrote:It doesn't matter what it is, as long as it look good and works... the point is that it's not needed to search what's good and what's crap because the good stuff is in one sticky.
I find most of things in model base good. Subjective perspective is irrelevant, having 2 stickies for only 2 people as opposed to 1 for everybody is retarded.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

What I'm saying is... make one sticky with all the good stuff. Just modelbase won't do because 75% is shit...
smoth

Post by smoth »

Hoi wrote:What I'm saying is... make one sticky with all the good stuff. Just modelbase won't do because 75% is shit...
it is better than nothing and I think 75% of it is stuff that could be good with a proper texture.
Argh

Post by Argh »

modelbase won't do because 75% is shit...
I'd say it's more like 75% are just fine, 25% aren't quite nice enough to use for anything, but might be salvageable if somebody spent the time to get them fixed up. I've painted up more of ModelBase's content than anybody, so I suspect I know what I'm saying.

But hey, if you really want to make yourself look like a llama, and disrespect all the people who are working for free on things they give away, Open Source... you are welcome to do that.
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

If other people want to put the quality that Cremuss and I put into replacing the OTA units with OTA looking units, I'll sticky their work at their request.

I stickied Cremuss and my work up top to show people what would be preferable quality to shoot for when remaking the OTA units, its that simple.

You don't like it Regret?, show us what you personally can do with modeling&texture instead of griping that ours isn't perfect enough.
smoth

Post by smoth »

thanks, felt insulted. 7/10.

Return to “Art & Modelling”