Wallpaper by a TA fan (myself :D)

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

ankh

Post by ankh »

This wallpaper illustrate the beginning of the war between Arm and Core factions, enjoy ;)

Maybe i will add some TA units in the image, like Millenium battlecruiser, and liberty fighter

And i have a question: the team project will interrest by redesign the units textures? Else can i overwrite a texture in 32x32 to 64x64 without the game crash?

Thanks for answer and comments ;)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Yes you can recreate all OTA textures, we'll ahve to anyways due to copyright problems. But be aware that Spring has a texture limit of 2048x2048 on a single texture sheet.
Gurkha

Post by Gurkha »

stunning.

May I suggest, however, that you lose the water and replace it with more city with a main central square of some sort in the foreground with a pitched battle going on in the middle of it. Both sides could be carrying flags (arm and core, obviously) to identify them, and make it look kinda TA-ish and there could be some minor robots on both sides joining in the fight (this, being before the war, would also be before the war degenerated to huge machines fighting each other).
Oh, and don't forget to include some molotov cocktails

-Gurkha
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Holy Crapness!!!

*drools*

I WANTS IT

nice work btw. What did you make it in?
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

It looks real nice!
Keep in mind that the original ta is something that we need to move away from for copyright stuff.
ankh

Post by ankh »

For original TA, if all has been recreated (models & texture & engine like Freecraft) but units kept, it's always a problem?
If i make just new textures which look like the originals but in better quality, it's not a problem?

In exemple:

Before

After

The texture are fully recreated without any part of the original texture ;)

Thx for yours answers ;)

(Ps:Sorry for my english i'm a dude in english :roll: )
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

US Copyright law states that if it is a modification, anythign that ahsnt been modified more than 70% is a derived worka dn thus comes under copyright infringement. Work absed on copyrighted work is copyright ifnrignement. For example if I where to release an Operating system called french windows, udner a company name macrosoft, I'd be sued by microsoft. If I made an OS named umbrella under a company called pineapple...... and so on.

That looks v.similair, it could be cosntrued that you simply edited the original or recreated it with minor editations.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

I'd slightly change it so it doesn't look like the original, for example the stripes on the side of the runway...
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Alantai Firestar wrote: ... For example if I where to release an Operating system called french windows, udner a company name macrosoft, I'd be sued by microsoft. If I made an OS named umbrella under a company called pineapple...... and so on.
Your mixing in trademarks (tm).
I think it a good idea to clearly separate that from copyrights. (c)

Anyway laws differ, just make something original thats in my opinion far more fun then trying to balance a thin legal line.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Speaking about legal things.
ankh, under what license do you release your wallpaper?

GPL?
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Just thought I'd say, nice wallpaper, how did you get all the windows? Im guessing you used a special fill or something causer theres no way you drew them all!

aGorm
ankh

Post by ankh »

Tim Blokdijk wrote:Speaking about legal things.
ankh, under what license do you release your wallpaper?

GPL?
It's an OpenSource. I don't know difference beetween the licenses OpenSource, but i can give you freely the source (photoshop format file), and you can modify, distribute ect... freely the wallpaper (just kept my author name so ^^)
ankh

Post by ankh »

aGorm wrote:Just thought I'd say, nice wallpaper, how did you get all the windows? Im guessing you used a special fill or something causer theres no way you drew them all!

aGorm
For the windows, i have juste make one column by building, so i used the tool "clone" to fill all building. After, i added a "noise" filter to "open/close" some light and do more realistic and less uniform ;)
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

I'm interested in the source file. :-)
The Spring engine is under a GPL license.
So if you release your work under the GPL it's fully compatible with Spring.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Ahhh, simple, why the hell did i not think of that??

aGorm
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

What is the difference between GPL and Freeware?
Kuroneko

Post by Kuroneko »

GrOuNd_ZeRo wrote:What is the difference between GPL and Freeware?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gpl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware

Freeware is typically proprietary, distributed without source code, and carries a restrictive license. For example, a license might allow the software to be freely copied, but not sold, or might forbid commercial, government or military use.

The GPL grants the recipients of a computer program the following rights, or "freedoms":

* The freedom to run the program, for any purpose.
* The freedom to study how the program works, and modify it. (Access to the source code is a precondition for this)
* The freedom to redistribute copies.
* The freedom to improve the program, and release the improvements to the public. (Access to the source code is a precondition for this)
ankh

Post by ankh »

Tim Blokdijk wrote:I'm interested in the source file. :-)
The Spring engine is under a GPL license.
So if you release your work under the GPL it's fully compatible with Spring.
just download here (25Mb) => http://www.dragonsoul-fr.com/public/div ... icence.rar

I have delete the "S.P.R.I.N.G" because the font isn't in gpl licence :'(
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Thanks! :-)

Maybe I can throw in my Spring Logo just quick - just to see how it looks.
ankh

Post by ankh »

np ;)

Take me the result of modification *curious* :)

Return to “Art & Modelling”