BattleFleet's WIP - Page 2

BattleFleet's WIP

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Guessmyname

Re: BattleFleet's WIP

Post by Guessmyname »

Looks like a flying submarine.

EDIT: (Which means it is awesome, in case the meaning of this post wasn't clear)
Last edited by Guessmyname on 23 Apr 2009, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

VonGratz wrote:The Ruster advanced armored ground attack plane.

looks like a boat to me
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

Id rather say it looks like Mig-15 interceptor :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mig_15
VonGratz

Post by VonGratz »

Guessmyname wrote:Looks like a flying submarine.

EDIT: (Which means it is awesome, in case the meaning of this post wasn't clear)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks
Is the first modeling of this plane from the olde paper & pen drawing concept.I think it needs some weapons and details.. :-) Maybe four guns like this one ahead of the cockpit.
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

It would look at lot better if you will swept the wings and straighten them up a bit (imo, especially being an RC airplane designer it gives me creeps to imagine flying this)
smoth

Post by smoth »

nanites
Argh

Post by Argh »

nanites with lupus, maybe?

Seriously though, I agree, a more functional looking wing design might be better. And that cockpit needs a lot more work, so that it's flowing smoothly with the hull, doesn't have backfaces, etc.
smoth

Post by smoth »

considering the poly count I am going to agree with argh, you could probably make the whole hull/cockpit one mesh.
VonGratz

Post by VonGratz »

Both are right about polys, as Im still learning Wings, I have a trouble with their quantity to generate models no so full of things :mrgreen: .
The cockpit is to give the impression that its armored, with straight armored plates, with only a small window/sensor panel, but Ive noted that it deserves improvements as nobody can see this :lol:
I will try a modif with the standart wings of this race to see if it would better looking :wink:
VonGratz

Post by VonGratz »

Better wings?I think it still needs a down rotation, and small stabilizers in the tail for Troy :wink: .
Last edited by VonGratz on 23 Apr 2009, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Not to nitpick, but the wings still look weird. I think they're sitting up too high, and tapering to too small a point, but what do I know?
VonGratz

Post by VonGratz »

Pxtl wrote:Not to nitpick, but the wings still look weird. I think they're sitting up too high, and tapering to too small a point, but what do I know?
I will lower the wings to see, and the wings extremities really needs to be larger(as the standart wings for this race :lol: )
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

add small fans (wings) closer to the nose, lower the main wings, and make them planar ( curved wings might look different, but just give planar wing a try), the small fans should start at 10% to 20% from the beginning of the plane, wing should be from 40% to 70% (or 50% to 65%) and be at an angle of about 35 degrees to the plane. basically take a look at mig-15, or mig-17, these planes have a great look, which you can use.

And btw, armoured cockpit is worthless waste of mass, planes are rarely shot down by killing a pilot, they are shot down by blowing up fuel or jet engine. The only armoured part in the plane is a seat of the pilot.
Jish

Post by Jish »

i love the big thing it looks awesome and all the other models look great too you must have put alot of work into it
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

==Troy== wrote:The only armoured part in the plane is a seat of the pilot.
Often partially because it is the part of an eject mechanism and responsible for protecting the pilot upon ejection and in some designs during descent.

The wings really do look too short compared to the armoured core.
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

==Troy== wrote:The only armoured part in the plane is a seat of the pilot.
You might wanna go look at the A-10 Thunderbolt before dismissing armored cockpits; they make sense on close support aircraft which is what this plane is.
VonGratz

Post by VonGratz »

Good hint!I will look for details :wink:
Im also changing the wings, and putting the Troy suggestions.
Thanks for all for the suggestions and comments.
VonGratz

Post by VonGratz »

Fine! The Thunderbolt description:
First, the fuselage is squared and ugly (especially near the pilot) because the pilot's compartment sits in an armored shell of titanium known as the bathtub.
from http://everything2.com/title/A-10%2520T ... olt%2520II
It is very close to my own description for this low level attacker.
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

Problem is, thunderbolt looks completely different from this cute little fighter, and from the structue the armoured cockpit does not look so ugly, on the other hand, this jet is nowhere near the look of ground support, and as mentioned before, it looks more like a Mig-15, which can also play a ground-support role, with ability to carry bombs and air-to-ground missiles.

And even in thunderbolt, the cockpit is transparent, the "bathtub" protects the pilot only form below, having armour in plane is usually worthless, limiting the sight for the pilot is just wrong.

For ground attack planes, if they are meant to fly slowly (300-500 kmph) straight wings are necessary, but the area of the wing should be quite large, to be able to carry the mass of the plane.

Anyhow, its up to VonGratz to decide tbh, in my opinion the plane looks like a light ground support -- interceptor plane, which is meant to be fast, agile, for hit-and run attack on ground and capable of protecting itself form the air.

On the other hand if someone will actually model the thunderblot-ish model with scripts for it to loose wings/jets/tails (look at raptor mech in NOTA), then that would look amazingly sweet.
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

For an example of armored ground support plane, look at Su-25. There you have it, a titanium 'bathtub' AND the plane doesn't look slow or ugly (well, not especially ugly at least).
As for the VonGratz's plane design, that large air intake on the nose just gives it the speedy appearance. Would be a good high-speed interceptor, but doesn't look much like ground support (large air intakes are bad for low-flying aircraft such as ground support because rubble tends to get into them, causing great damage).

Return to “Art & Modelling”