Cute WW2 tanky - Now with extra McFancy open mod positions!

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

SPRKH

Post by SPRKH »

Mit donnernden Motoren,
So schnell wie der Blitz,
Dem Feinde entgegen,

Im Panzer geschützt.

Hello. I'm playing with the idea of making a portable RTS game using the Spring engine, which should playable on lower-end computers (which would probably mean restricting the max. amount of units, but I'm no coder). The idea would be having you to be able to just jam in your thumb drive at a shitty library desktop and play a nice game when you're bored.

Still tinkering with theme and overall concept.

I'm rambling.

Hello again.

/e If you're a really cool coder with the same... "aspirations", let me know and we could have a nice discussion over some Earl Grey and biscuits.
Last edited by SPRKH on 08 Apr 2009, 02:51, edited 2 times in total.
Otherside

Re: Cute WW2 tanky

Post by Otherside »

limiting unit and game size is not a problem (you can either apply unit limits or a supply limit like SC)

also if you make it playable on smaller maps would help playability on lower spec machines.

I really like the model did you make it ??

A project like this would be really good for spring IMO

hope you go through with it
smoth

Post by smoth »

CUTE!
SPRKH

Post by SPRKH »

[quote="Otherside"]limiting unit and game size is not a problem (you can either apply unit limits or a supply limit like SC)
Last edited by SPRKH on 06 Apr 2018, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

your really talented :]

in terms of coders there are probably quite a few people in this forum who can make a mod (Unit scripts etc). And if you wish to use stuff that works with LUA there are plenty of LUA coders alot of them hang out in #CA (in the lobby)

you should go check the channel out you might be able to get some help from someone on the CA development team.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

I've always wanted a portable version of the spring engine for higher-end cell phones, if only to view replays in isometric view :P

I'm pretty sure spring could run a small (IE darkside) map with a low poly/unit mod in low detail pretty smoothly. Can anyone confirm? CarRepairer's ViaC7M?
SPRKH

Post by SPRKH »

Otherside wrote:your really talented :]

in terms of coders there are probably quite a few people in this forum who can make a mod (Unit scripts etc). And if you wish to use stuff that works with LUA there are plenty of LUA coders alot of them hang out in #CA (in the lobby)

you should go check the channel out you might be able to get some help from someone on the CA development team.
Well yes, hence I've decided to pay a visit here. :-)

Thing is though, that I really don't want to ask people for help in advance without having a solid plan, which at least describes the very basics/essence of the game.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

if you get a decent design setup and are willing to provide models/textures people will deffo help

Spring doesnt really lack coders/scripters for mods

it lacks content developers (modellers/texturers)

so write up a design document and plan and make another forum post im sure some people will help out.
SPRKH

Post by SPRKH »

Otherside wrote:if you get a decent design setup and are willing to provide models/textures people will deffo help
Oh, yes, of course. I'd be the totalitarian content developer, and together with a small amount of other, specialized guys we would form our own in-group, develop an exaggerated sense of superiority and make fun of everybody else not belonging to our team.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

SPRKH wrote:
Otherside wrote:if you get a decent design setup and are willing to provide models/textures people will deffo help
Oh, yes, of course. I'd be the totalitarian content developer, and together with a small amount of other, specialized guys we would form our own in-group, develop an exaggerated sense of superiority and make fun of everybody else not belonging to our team.
Sweet! a trend-breaker!
panzeriv2

Post by panzeriv2 »

Very nice
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

I see you're using 2 128*128's, it might be better to use one 256, that might use more cpu/gpu load, but spring only supports 1 uvmap per unit!

Also the tank looks cool! :wink:
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

I look at that and I immediately think Advance Wars.

That's pretty damn awesome work keeping their style!
SPRKH

Post by SPRKH »

Hoi wrote:I see you're using 2 128*128's, it might be better to use one 256, that might use more cpu/gpu load, but spring only supports 1 uvmap per unit!

Also the tank looks cool! :wink:
Oh, so alpha maps are not supported then? Odd.
Here are the maps, in case you mis-interpret the text.

Better would be a 256*128 then, a 256^2 would be twice as large, and really is unnecessary for low-res units.

Does the Spring engine do animated tank tracks by offsetting the UVW coordinates?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I like it! have a cookie
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Very cute.

But surely you'd much rather come do some work for Imperial Winter so that you can get used to the Spring modding process before branching out on your own! ;)

Also, 1 bit alpha maps are fine, they're put in the alpha layer of texture 2 (which also handles reflections/specularity/glow). Alpha of texture 1 is teamcolour.
SPRKH

Post by SPRKH »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:But surely you'd much rather come do some work for Imperial Winter so that you can get used to the Spring modding process before branching out on your own! ;)
To be honest with you, I am not a Star Wars fan.
Warlord Zsinj wrote:Also, 1 bit alpha maps are fine, they're put in the alpha layer of texture 2 (which also handles reflections/specularity/glow). Alpha of texture 1 is teamcolour.
Are the spec/gloss/glow maps then stored per RGB channel, and the alpha in the... alpha channel?

Is animation bone-based or is it per-vertex?
thesleepless

Post by thesleepless »

the animation is 'piece based'

you split your model up into pieces and animate them through a scripting language called 'BOS'
SPRKH

Post by SPRKH »

thesleepless wrote:the animation is 'piece based'
Sounds logical, though from an artistic standpoint it makes me a bit sad. :(
thesleepless

Post by thesleepless »

it's good for mechanical units, terrible for more organic stuff since everything needs to be cut up into pieces.

i really like the style you're going for, makes me think Advance Wars or something

Return to “Art & Modelling”