New unit pics?

New unit pics?

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Ace07

New unit pics?

Post by Ace07 »

I don't know if we can use these without permissions from the authors, but these would work quite well IMO. I have repackaged them in a way so that anyone can use them. I simply redid all of the files into PNG format and included the script I used to do it. I also created an .sdz to replace the old ufo format which is not easy to work with (no offense meant).

It also includes the original .ufo file that I used to do this in the first place. (In the true open source spirit.)

In my opinion, these unit pics look a lot better than the originals, but being the programmer that I am, my opinion might not be very worthy. Regardless, I hope that they can get included in the release at some point, because the older unit pics are a cause for copyright concerns (just like all of the TA content in Spring). This doesn't get us off the hook for copyright infringement, but every little step helps.

http://fedoraguides.hostrocket.com/Spri ... ics.tar.gz

I was planning on using them in my "Disabled units" dialog.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Well, at the time zwzsg and I compiled that, Spring didn't support .PNG or .SDZ. I mean, I don't want to sound insulting, but it's not exactly hard work to batch convert and repack :P

I agree that they should be standard. Just add a note saying MAD TA made them in the readme or whatever...
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

Yes, I am not taking any credit for the obvious hard work put into this pack (262 image files...that is just crazy). I just wanted to submit my changes to it, especially since I will be using them in my lobby if they are used by the main distribution.

I only wish that I could get the high res versions of these so that they weren't so grainy in the Lobby.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Since when does Spring support PNG for buildpic???? I tried with Buggi's latest build a few days ago and png were not working?

And well, it would be hard to blame Ace07 from stealing credits for repacking the pics, since Gnome and I just stole the work of the M.A.D. TA staff and repacked it. Thought removing UTASP only units and renaming misnamed pics was tedious. BTW, is any of the UTASP staff member still contactable?

Personnaly I don't fancy that much the close-up view they choose for many of their bp, and often have trouble recognizing units.

Now let's hope the SY will hear my plea to remove taenheter.ccx and make that pack as default. But I heard they tweaked the XTA units, in a secret unreleased version, so obviously those changes aren't yet included.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

zwzsg, it seems thatthe engine could support more but was hardcoded to load UnitName + ".pcx", which has recently been fixed to detect if the file is present and if it isnt load UnitName + ".bmp". Buggis build was compiled before thsi change among other things, and now anonymous cvs is back we should eb seeing some more fo buggis enw builds soon.

note: Version in GameVersion.h has been changed to 0.60b1
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

Spring doesn't actually have png support yet, but I want it to. PNG is just so much better than palettized images. In this situation, I just am providing the png files just in case the SY's add the functionality at some point. :lol:

Also, I noticed a few of the pictures have all UPPER case names. Is that an error or are some of the units actually all upper case? The ones I converted to png are simply in the PNG folder, and they are all lowercase because case makes a big difference on Linux systems. I placed the original *.pcx images in the .sdz archive.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Alantai, there's also the new BuildPic=; FBI tag.

On windows case don't matter, and for TA filename neither, so I kept the casing as it was.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Thats what i was referring to.

Return to “Art & Modelling”