CORE Deleter, Jammer(ba)/Shield(ca) truck

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

MR.D

Post by MR.D »

Starting to work on the Jammer truck for CORE, which will be a dual variant model for whichever mod uses it, or both if needed.

I'm using a nearly identical cockpit section from the Radar truck that I recently finished, because these 2 units quite often work in a team together, and it just felt like a good thing to do.

As for the rest of the vehicle, I tried to keep with a very close outline of the original OTA game unit for most of its apperance and shapes, with exception to the Track skirts being more angle cut and defined looking.

The Shield Sphere is just a placeholder atm, which will be replaced by a LUA sphere for the shield origin effect as CA currently uses.

I'm still working out the Jammer variant parts, so I didn't make a screen of that yet.

I am going to try something with some texture animation for a special pulsating glow effect on the Upper trapezoid shapes on the left/right of the turret. Making it swap those parts out to create a dim/glow animation on those parts of the model.

Currently the Model is at 984 triangles.

Still no Host yet, so uploading the Pics here.
Attachments
cordeleter_OTA.jpg
(187.18 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
cordeleter_1b.jpg
(184.83 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
cordeleter_1a.jpg
(251.5 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
smoth

Re: CORE Deleter, Jammer(ba)/Shield(ca) truck

Post by smoth »

I see you rollin' . . .
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

not sure I like the spherical jamming structure, the fork-shaped one from OTA made more sense
Caradhras

Post by Caradhras »

Both do not make any sense, but rotating forks look better or show that something is going on
smoth

Post by smoth »

Caradhras wrote:Both do not make any sense, but rotating forks look better or show that something is going on
this
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Wasn't the fork just based on the shadow generator from Red Alert?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

from my very short research on Wikipedia, "Digital radio frequency memory jamming" would require a receiver and a transmitter so the fork would represent these... while with "Sweep jamming", the jammer cycles through frequencies to jam which could explain the rotating of the fork... So a rotating fork is probably as good as any representation of the future of radar jamming... also yeah, CnC does it that way.
Sheekel wrote:not sure I like the spherical jamming structure, the fork-shaped one from OTA made more sense
MR.D wrote:CORE Deleter, Jammer(ba)/Shield(ca) truck
I think the Sphere one is the Shield Generator Variant
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

MR.D wrote:I'm still working out the "Jammer variant" parts, so I didn't make a screen of that yet.
Boy... you guys should really read the post.. seriously..

The mod 'CA' uses the Core deleter jammer truck, which is modified to use a sphere pod as their Mobile shield generator in place of the original Jammer vehicle.

I made the unit so that either CA could use it for a mobile shield, or if and when BA or other mods like BOTA need the original radar-jammer truck, they could pick which one was better suited to the Unit lineup for that mod.

I should have explained the rings as well on the shield variant, they will counter-rotate around the LUA sphere, to make a visible animation for the unit to stand out against the regular combat units.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

I like it.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Nice to see you thinking of us Mr.D. This will look awesome, though you can increase the size of the shield generator part, if you want (For a more visible effect).
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

i like it, but imo shield vehicles should have a more "volatile" look to them, as they're putting out tons of energy and have a giant uncovered power core in the middle :-)
the current model is a little too blocky and sturdy for my tastes, but, then again, the shield vehicle does need high defence (though the eraser is usually a weak unit)
smoth

Post by smoth »

MidKnight wrote:i like it, but imo shield vehicles should have a more "volatile" look to them, as they're putting out tons of energy and have a giant uncovered power core in the middle :-)
that all should be handled with fx and anims
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

At least use a 20 tri geosphere
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

The sphere in the pic is like 2000 sided, and perfectly round, but will be replaced by a LUA drawn sphere.

Question is, how many sides does the LUA sphere that CA uses have, and can it be defined to keep performance smooth?

At farthest zoom away, you could use an Obelisk or diamond (4 or 6 triangles) for the sphere and as long as the glow aurora is still there it wouldn't make any visible impact on it.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

4 triangles is a tetrahedron.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Polygons is not springs bottleneck, and lua can do anything so yes, sure.

Return to “Art & Modelling”