Help with Art/Graphics/Layout/etc right here!

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Spring and this forum but I'm a veteran TA player. I found Spring only less than a week ago and I'm loving every second of it.

I would like to thank everyone who took their time to make Spring what it is today, an awesome RTS with limitless possibilities.

I would also like to offer my help with making any art/graphics/icons/layout/whatever for the game. I'm a full time graphics/web designer in business for over 8 years and a big gamer. TA was my favorite RTS of all time, I played it religiously. I would really love to be a part of the team for this awesome project.

If anyone needs graphics done please let me know and I'll try to make them asap. I hope I can help you guys keep the progress of the game moving.

Sincerely,
Philip R. aka Slayer

-----

Edit:
Looking through the older threads I couldn't tell if the other graphics requests were out of date or current so please post anything that's needed right here.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Textures would be nice.
Gabba

Post by Gabba »

Napalm Cobra is a man of few words, and I'm not sure that he has the gift of making you feel welcome.

Anyways, I think he's right, we mainly need textures:
- you could start slowly replacing the TA units' textures with some of your own: that would move us one step closer to legality, and make the game look much better
- I'm sure a good drawer could make some amazing maps: just create a map with your own textures that you tile (just ask around for the right size of a tile, I don't remember). If you make maps with great tilesets, you can bet people will start using them to make some more great maps! You could even create an entirely hand-drawn Spring map with no repeating tiles, but if it's large it will be a huge file.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

dont listen to Gabba... :-)
You could even create an entirely hand-drawn Spring map with no repeating tiles, but if it's large it will be a huge file.
thats rong, all my maps are a good file size.
But yes, make some maps! Theres a tut on the front page.
:-)

aGorm
shnorb

Post by shnorb »

welcome slayer!

textures sound like a good idea to me.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

I'll be glad to make some textures. I just need to figure out what program to use to open TA units and apply new textures to them. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Reading the map making guide right now. :-)
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

3do builder, its shit, but it apparently does the job.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

[K.B.] Napalm Cobra wrote:3do builder, its shit, but it apparently does the job.
Ok. I got 3do, played around with it and got a hang of it. I can't seem to find the TA units though. Is there another program I need to extract them or how does this work? Where do I get the units?

Thanks for the help! :-)
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Check the fileuniverse Total Annihilation section. It has a Utilities directory with practically everything you need. You can use Hpi Viewer to extract unit files such as 3do models.
3do builder, its shit, but it apparently does the job.
Couldn't agree more. What I don't understand is that all these years after the release of TA there is only this little crappy VB based editor and nobody in the big ta community has made a better one. IMO, it will be a good thing to get rid of the 3DO format in the spring engine.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

The sad thing is that Cavedog said our tools were better than theirs...

Return to “Art & Modelling”