Improving building style?

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

I really don't like the current building style of the buildings.(Too boring) How about a melting effect into a solid shape?
Cremuss

Re: Improving building style?

Post by Cremuss »

Do you mean the shader effect when you are constructing something ? Wire -> green shader -> texture.

Well it depends on the mod you are playing. It's boring because it's the original TA building effect so most of spring mods (understand TA based games) use it.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Kernel Panic has some fun animations.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Pity that you are bored.

others are already working on things. Moving along.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

CvC's build animation is supposed to look like the ground being melted and formed into the unit.
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Doesn't gundam have some cool scaffolding and stuff?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Turn team coloured nanospray on
smoth

Post by smoth »

Zpock wrote:Doesn't gundam have some cool scaffolding and stuff?
this?
I gave the code to starwars, they implemented it for starwars I believe. I have not added it for gundam yet. That was my test to see how it could look. I am looking at a more easily steal able solution right now. So I put the frames on hold and am modeling units. I can work on it later before release, right now I just more present issue such as the new building models, then I will return and add the frames :P.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I love your codec, can I get an autograph? =p

VLC + Mac + your wmv video = crying baby
smoth

Post by smoth »

AF wrote:I love your codec, can I get an autograph? =p

VLC + Mac + your wmv video = crying baby
:?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

youtube/vimeo?
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

yeah, IW has working scaffolds/building animation.
smoth

Post by smoth »

AF wrote:youtube/vimeo?
no. Be glad i posted anything.
cong06

Post by cong06 »

smoth wrote:
Zpock wrote:Doesn't gundam have some cool scaffolding and stuff?
this?
I gave the code to starwars, they implemented it for starwars I believe. I have not added it for gundam yet. That was my test to see how it could look. I am looking at a more easily steal able solution right now. So I put the frames on hold and am modeling units. I can work on it later before release, right now I just more present issue such as the new building models, then I will return and add the frames :P.
I assume the Nano-spray would be trivial to turn off...at some point it starts to look a bit too...tacked on.

Especially for non-futuristic games.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Well, let's see.. the version you have seen is really over a year old. I don't really need any feedback. There has been a lot of work and a lot of things have happened.

You people just assume too much. Gundam gets releases roughly every year and each version is very different.
cong06

Post by cong06 »

smoth wrote:Well, let's see.. the version you have seen is really over a year old. I don't really need any feedback. There has been a lot of work and a lot of things have happened.
Sorry, I really didn't mean to be accusing you.

My point is that Nano-spray seems to be over used in all mods. The (very old) released version of S44 had Nano-spray in it, and that's a WWII mod.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

73b1 changelog wrote:- new fbi tag shownanoframe: set to 0 to disable nanoframe while the unit is being built.
- new fbi tag shownanospray: set to 0 to disable nanospray.
My guess is that they didn't bother disabling nanospray in the old version of S44 because they lacked the manpower to put in something more complex (scaffolds or a bunch of new CEG animations or whatever), but they still wanted players to be able to easily tell a unit being built from a finished one.

Any mods released before 73b1 were obviously more restricted.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

smoth wrote:no. Be glad i posted anything.
Its just that most people either cant open the video, or refuse to download video files, or cba with the hassle, its liking shooting yourself in the foot, only your ignoring the lower half of your body.

For those with lazy arses, macs/linux, or broken codecs, here's the file on youtube ( it took 2 seconds to upload! )
smoth

Post by smoth »

cong06 wrote:
smoth wrote:Well, let's see.. the version you have seen is really over a year old. I don't really need any feedback. There has been a lot of work and a lot of things have happened.
Sorry, I really didn't mean to be accusing you.

My point is that Nano-spray seems to be over used in all mods. The (very old) released version of S44 had Nano-spray in it, and that's a WWII mod.
that is because long ago we could not disable it. You guys don't play the non TA mods so it isn't like you would have seen it.

most of the time it is just *A mods. I have even had people try to tell me to put on a *a mod. Once I put up an autohost and the players changed to to whatever *a mod they wanted.

So I really have no reason to make micro releases unless I am fixing a major bug.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Current S44 has had nano disabled for a very long time. We have a crappy CEG effect currently. :P

Return to “Art & Modelling”