Logo guidelines clarification

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Read it here

A few people have been flouting these and modifying the spring logo on there own. I have written up the guidelines all together as a list. Please adhere to them for the sake of aesthetic consistency!!! We want a beautiful project nto a hodgepodge where no logo is the same!

And this logo is the official logo!!!Its not a random fan pic I made one day that people randomly use, its the official logo! See its even in the banner at the top!

ideally this should be linked from on the media page to a wikified version of the blogpost along with the download for the original files and artwork.

Here is the blogpost containing the logos release and their psds etc
smoth

Re: Logo guidelines clarification

Post by smoth »

Hoi wrote:Now move to games and mods and make sticky.
doesn't belong there, this is art teritory and thus it is here in art and modeling.

No move needed it is where it belongs. Af, you pissed off so many people and may of them are disagreeing with you just to spite you I suspect. Oh well man, it cannot be helped. I'll use the logo properly when I do use it, I know I am only one person but hey if it makes you feel better.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Why should everyone be stuck using your logo. While i usually agree on most things you post about, this is not one of them, official logo yes, what everyone wants to use, no.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

AF, one of the great strengths and weaknesses of the development model of Spring is that nobody has the authority to enforce a particular vision over any single element. This means you simply can't attempt to exert quality control. On the other hand, it also means that interference with your activities is similarly difficult.

Of course, this develops into other issues. Projects or informal initiatives with numerous contributors and no unifying authority lack cohesion and direction: CA, Spring's "Lobby Front", Spring's "Advertising Front", and at times, XTA. The correct solution to this problem would be the proposal of a design document or basic guideline document, but there is no mechanism to put one into place. If this was not the case my CLID, CPID and CA DD (And CA PD) would probably be finished and implemented.

In this case, thus, you are only able to propose guidelines, but there is nothing to enforce them. Your efforts can be ignored and undermined, and you have no recourse. I know this very well, it is something you must accept on the subject of any proposition.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

My logo is currently the official one. These are my guidelines on how it is supposed to be used.

Now argh I did not create all this especially for you and that video. There are a hundred different variations where people have flouted these guidelines ignoring consistency, ironically in much the same way its been done in that video.

And I have provided the necessary materials, there's a 22MB file full of it on my site. This just goes to prove you never bother to read anything I say and just have knee jerk reactions.

I seem to remember people like you clericvash agreeing with me and neuralize, why the U turn?

And where are all the consistency people who argued so much in neuralizes thread about needing guidelines and consistency?

I cant force you to follow the guidelines but by flouting them your causing far more damage than you realize to springs image by forking it and making it hodge podge. This is especially important with regards to marketing media put out there such as that video of P.U.R.E or the websites refering here.
The correct solution to this problem would be the proposal of a design document or basic guideline document, but there is no mechanism to put one into place.
Please refer to first post of thread. The project may be GPL'ed but this is not an open development model. We do not make decisions by democratic vote as a whole community.

Could a moderator please clean this thread up and sticky it. Failure to do so will probably result in trolling or epic flamefest (see above posts for examples)
lurker

Post by lurker »

I understand guidelines relating to the logo itself, but to be so extremely specific about what font face and other details you can put near it strikes me as a waste of effort. Reading the guidelines it seems that I can put almost any text and I want next to the logo as long as it's not "Spring"? I would think it's useful to let games choose fonts. Or I can only have your set text and you forgot to mention that? The guidelines just aren't that great at present.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

erm that wouldnt be a spring logo, that would be a logo for SpringSP, at which point my design guides no longer apply.

Also if you read my blog post I outlined this. I said you could remove the sun in the red section and replace it with something else at which point it becomes a totally new logo for something else. An example being icons.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Edit: In hindsight, I was very wrong and didn't understand wtf I was talking about, nor did I understand the importance of branding and professionalism. 7 Years after making this post I read it with shame and edit it so that others don't have to read my idiotic thoughts at the time.

Edit2: Made the edit because I ran across this thread while looking for stuff.
Last edited by Forboding Angel on 21 Jul 2015, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Don't put text in the red bit, always put the text to the left, and use white Arial text bolded in capitals. Why is this such a hard thing to follow? This si the general gist of the logo guidelines that I put out in the original blog post yet people seem to always make the same mistakes. They always want the text on the red bit in some fugly font.

Do they not realize that even extending the blue bit at the bottom and putting the text there makes it look much prettier? It even gives you extra space to make the font size bigger as there's no double padding against the red and the blue edges!!! I didn't just imagine up the guidelines for no reason, they have reasons behind them!!!

What puzzles me even more is that people are taking the correct iamgery and then recreating it incorrectly and then holding onto that and makign a big fuss over it. You could have just used the original artwork that did exactly the same thing and avoided the whole mess!!!!!! Stop bawing because someone told you cant label your mona lisa replica the original!!!
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

Af, people enjoy flouting ridiculous rules and waving it in the rulemonger's face.
lurker

Post by lurker »

You still need clarification in the guidelines.
AF wrote:I never said you couldn't put 'banana pancakes' in comic sans underneath SPRING ENGINE, but you cant put SPRING ENGINE in comic sans.
This was not at all clear from your post.

And did one of us mix up left and right?
AF wrote:Do they not realize that even extending the blue bit at the bottom and putting the text there makes it look much prettier?
I thought the guidelines saying "Extra height can be created by extending the blue region however the red region must be resized to take up any extra height." meant that you could only extend for text at the side, and extending it down meant also extending the red to fill. No?
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

ZOMG YOU DEFACED MY LOGO WHAT AM I GOING TO DO....

this thread is retarded

people are free to do what they want if they want to graffiti on your logo they can do it , not like your gonna sue them for doing it anyways
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

@otherside, chill dude. That point has been made abundantly clear.

Edit: Wrong twice in one thread, I'm was on a roll 7 years ago.
Last edited by Forboding Angel on 21 Jul 2015, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Forboding Angel wrote:1. I don't have a psd, so all I have to work with is a flat png... Not awesome.
smoth

Post by smoth »

all I can see is derp derp derp and a few meaningful posts.

Af, what deci is saying is that people are going to buck the system. I personally think it is human nature to give the finger to anyone who tries to impose authority. It is just part of our, lets say, independent spirit.. such spirit can be broken but not by you. You are squeezing too hard and barking louder will not get your logo to see more use, if anything this thread is damaging you because you describe your logo by using the name of the Mona Lisa which was arguably a life-long work for Da Vinci.
daan 79

Post by daan 79 »

good work AF just garder some ppl to form a team and work as a team
Make logos and release them in a tread like this.
Let all them all have a free hand at them.
that way ppl can relay on a fresh logo but arent forced anywhere
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Remember your Venture Brothers, Smoth!
Phantom Limb: Rembrandt van Rijn ├óÔé¼ÔÇØ a hundred fifty years ago, Delacroix said of Rembrandt that his works would be held higher than those of Raphael. His blasphemous prophecy came true within fifty years, and this one could be yours for the pittance of 10 million, American.
Mafioso: No, I want the Mona Lisa.
Phantom Limb: Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...
Mafioso: What about her, ah, famous smile?
Phantom Limb: Whatever. She looks like a horse! It's - it's tiny, you know? Th-the thing is like this big.
Mafioso: Really?
Phantom Limb: Yes, really. So this is cheaper. By the... by the foot.
Anyway, it didn't take nearly as long for Trademark's blasphemous prophecy to come true. I will clean and fix this thread for unlock when I have time later, maybe in six hours or so.

And, uh, done.
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

This topic is fucking ridiculous.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

hrmph wrote:This topic is fucking ridiculous.
Yeah if i use it i will use what fricken font i want, and put the text where i want. And basically do what i want.

Rules on a logo won't work, simple as.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Im astounded that even after neddierow cleaned the thread up and I asked that people don't derail people do this.

But what I'm more shocked at is how half the people railing guidelines in this thread were touting neuralize as some godly figure for suggesting guidelines in the first place.

What's more nobody is trying to communicate on how to change or modify the guidelines to suit the community they're just attacking it point blank. They're guidelines not rules and only really carry weight when applied to official stuff like this website.

Now I modified the blog post repeatedly after the initial attacks and malicious sniping, I changed the wording, I made clear some points so that they wouldn't be misinterpreted, I even posted examples or things that were OK that people here said weren't okay.

I'm also saddened that despite this thread being 'cleaned up' there are still derogatory posts here that managed to survive cleanup.

I took time and effort making these artworks for you people and all Ive gotten is horseshit from it, and now you all demand you want to take the very things that make IT what it is and deliberately change them to look fugly to spite me, yes not because you can do what you like, but because I said this is how I built it. Its disappointing that yet again the community wants to be its own worst enemy.

If you want to make official banners icons screen shots etc with spring logos, these guidelines tell you how to reproduce the official artwork, and explain why. Nobody said anything about a Spanish inquisition on fan art and anybody who does is being malicious.

Return to “Art & Modelling”