Mightysheep's model thread

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

MightySheep

Post by MightySheep »

Heres my Weasel Remake:

142 pollies. Only just started using wings and i textured it on paint :P but i'm just glad I know how to do it so i can get better at it. Can I get some constructive critisism?
Last edited by MightySheep on 01 Mar 2008, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.
Zpock

Re: MR.D's Core remakes

Post by Zpock »

Uhm, Mr:D alredy made the wezel... so it might be a better idea to work on the... jeffy?
MightySheep

Post by MightySheep »

I already made a weasel why would i want to start on a jeffy. its not like mine and Mr Ds are the same thing.
smoth

Post by smoth »

MightySheep wrote:I already made a weasel why would i want to start on a jeffy. its not like mine and Mr Ds are the same thing.
because mr. ds is better.
MightySheep

Post by MightySheep »

smoth wrote:
MightySheep wrote:I already made a weasel why would i want to start on a jeffy. its not like mine and Mr Ds are the same thing.
because mr. ds is better.
no shit sherlock. i only just started modelling and i textured it on paint dumbass. i don't care what it's called lets just say it isn't a weasel then if it matters that much. Now can i get some advice??
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

Its probably better to make your own Thread MSheep and post up suggestions/ideas about your own work there..
smoth

Post by smoth »

MightySheep wrote: no shit sherlock. i only just started modelling and i textured it on paint dumbass. i don't care what it's called lets just say it isn't a weasel then if it matters that much. Now can i get some advice??
troll less, don't get so pissy with the very people who CAN help you. Also fact of the matter is, if someone else is doing it better you are wasting time. Take on a unit that has not/is not done.

now go flip shit in your own thread and enjoy the lack of advise from someone who normally would help.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Can I get some constructive critisism?
It is not a weasel, let us start there >_>
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Own thread please Sheep, lern2forum thank you.

This is basically a quick dump for new stuff MR.D makes, ready to be put ingame without much effort.
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

Its not about better or worse, its about having the courtesy not to hijack sombody else's thead.
Peet
Malcontent

Re: Mightysheep's model thread (ex-MR.D thread hijack)

Post by Peet »

Do not hijack other peoples' art threads with your own...models.
MightySheep

Post by MightySheep »

My tank model:

My other tank model:

Last edited by MightySheep on 29 Feb 2008, 22:39, edited 2 times in total.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

9 posts minus the last two. Was not necessary, though it helped some.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Well, all of the thread drama aside (really, gotta agree with 'em, you should not have posted that in Mr. D's thread, but meh, live and learn)...

There isn't anything terrible about the Weasel model. It's not accurate to the source material (which is why everybody got on your case, btw, welcome to the "fun" of remodeling anything from OTA around here), but that's OK, you're still learning how to do stuff in Wings. What you need to do, as quickly as possible, is go from using Paint to using GIMP. Stop building new tanks... sit down with that Weasel, and make it shine, if you can.

Using GIMP, you can do nice texture work. If you're not familiar with it, I'd strongly suggest you download it and start playing around with it, learning the basics of working with Layers, etc. The basic fact of the matter is that if you can't bother to learn how to paint, you might as well give up modeling, or hope that your designs are so cool that somebody feels a strong urge to skin them. Given that you've already gotten to the skinned model part, it's time to sit down and learn the serious tools to make a skin that looks really good, before spending a lot more time modeling. I'm only going to say this once, but basically the chief secret of game modeling is that the skin is the primary factor- a great model still looks like crap, if poorly skinned, whereas a mediocre model can look good, if well skinned.

You need to put a lot of time into learning the basics of using graphics software before you can take the next step. When you learn a bit more about skinning, you'll start to see that many of the details on that tank, for example, weren't really necessary- the hole in the gun, for example, could just be a texture, and players would never notice, because it's so small on the screen.

If you need a structured assignment... for a fun first project, I'd like to see you use GIMP / Photoshop and make this look really realistic:

Give it bevels, put scars, dirt and wear on it with pattern-stamps and some suitable textures. Make it look real. Then you're going to be ready to do some basic skinning.
MightySheep

Post by MightySheep »

It's my gran :-)
Argh

Post by Argh »

Good start :-) Looks like you have the basics down, now just go back to your texture for that first model, and start laying down some simple greebles- basic shapes, on new layers. Apply bevels to them, to make them "pop out" of the model a bit, and adjust the bevels' light angles to make them seem like the light's coming from somewhere overhead. Then merge them down, and do a bit of freehand work with the texture-stamp, to add some grunge, and voila... you'll have a nice skin coming along, in no time.
MightySheep

Re: Mightysheep's model thread

Post by MightySheep »

i'll do that tommorow
Argh

Post by Argh »

Great, looking forward to seeing your progress.
MightySheep

Post by MightySheep »

I decided not to texture the weasel. I textured this house instead:

Front View:

Bottom / Back view

I made it for another game which I play and i'm going to use it in the game :-) I love those cool textures from that website.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Isn't that the wings3d tutorial house thing?

Return to “Art & Modelling”