Gundam Model: FA-78-1 - Page 2

Gundam Model: FA-78-1

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

lurker

Re: Gundam Model: FA-78-1

Post by lurker »

It's not that the map is ugly, it's that the unavoidable zoom level makes for zomg hueg pixels. Shadows are always nice.
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

it might be the posturing but that toy looks a lot more butch than the model.

I don't think the toy could even stand as straight as the model with those giant legs.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Machiosabre wrote:it might be the posturing but that toy looks a lot more butch than the model.

I don't think the toy could even stand as straight as the model with those giant legs.

Model is probably very light plastic... anyways...

I agree somehow the spring version isn't quite as... let's say "beefy" as the toy pictures... might help if your "hangin out" pose was a little more "cinematic"... otherwise as always, good work... and then again I believe you were trying to make your mod less cartoony anyways.
smoth

Post by smoth »

yeah, a good part of the "beefy" look is the pose. I have other pics of the fa-78 but I don't have them with me. Those pics were of the two models I based him off of though. At 35 degree angles like that he seems beefier. I could probably beef up the model but I was pretty happy with him.

I have all the gundam units in a very simple pose. Now that upspring is fixed I can look forward to making more poses. I need to do idle animations also but that is a detail for later. I am not sure about the cartoony thing.
Masure

Post by Masure »

I'd like to give my opinion concerning your model and the figurine picture. Your models are fine but here is what's wrong IMHO :

Your model has a fucking static attitude in oppsition to the dynamisn & aggressivity of the figurine. If you could give that to your model, I bet this would be purely awesome.

I'm not an artist so I don't criticize and only try to help.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Masure wrote:fucking static attitude
I KNOW, I told it to wash the car and it rolled it's eyes at me and went back to talking on the phone, such an attitude, I should discipline him more!
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Attitude is done with animations and Spring isn't really frriendly towards dynamic-looking animations
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

the screenshot with aftershock is nice but yes add shadows ... 4096 shadows, AA ... anisotropic ... change your map to any nice map ... sirartturri's maps are nice or this one with uber snow effect : http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=999 (btw the lulz picture just looks like gundam ... you often see camouflaged gundams in jungle)

and masure is right watch the legs of your model and the legs of the photos ... who would make a mech with legs that ... straight ? (if you understand what i mean: you should be able to put a cone between the two legs)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Perhaps its not a flaw but a feature? Anti zaku rape defences? ^_^
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Can't you make the idle stance more wide like that?
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Yeah, a slight bend in the arms and a little bit of split legs wouldn't hurt, if you could make it flow with your other junk :P
smoth

Post by smoth »

actually a lot of you people fail to understand that adding all of those little bends and things are complicated. Unlike TA gundam is entirely humanoids. For example if I add a slight bend to the arm I have to give it a special run animation and have to adjust the fire anim to straighten the arms etc. The arms are at the sides of the mechs because complicated animations like that are a bitch. There are the following animations:

Shoot
Move and shoot
move
stand

each one has to have piece rotations reset if arms are turned at odd angles because of posing. Which means that I am not doing crazy stances yet. The reason is that it is a distraction from getting everything else working.

Animations are important and I want gundam to look great but I must prioritize.
Keithus

Post by Keithus »

Looks wicked, though if I were to get super nit picky (super). I'd have to say the head is a little tall along y and the areas of grey (biceps and thighs) are a little large in scale in all three axis. Messing with these might help it seem a little more solid in feel when compared with those reference pictures.

And after a second look, even after posing it in the same pose as the reference it still might be a little tall along y.
smoth

Post by smoth »

nope. looks fine.

*I should probably explain. Yeah he is stocky enough, no he doesn't need to be shorter and here is why. The art for gundam is godamn inconsistent and between that two fags you would realize that there are glaring inconsistencies past the fact that it is the katoki ver ka that both of them are based on, while the original was based on the lanky first gundam. Ultimately I have to make style decisions due to the radically inconsistent nature of the reference materials. However, as a ridiculous gundam nerd, I get pretty perfectionist about things and this guy is in my mind, spot on.
Keithus

Post by Keithus »

Thats fair enough, and tbh, I was only speaking from the standpoint where I was using one image as my reference for critique and thusly am in no real position to offer it.
Elkvis

Post by Elkvis »

it looks as if it is about to topple back at any moment. :-)

But no, I poke needless fun. it is truely a work of art.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

lurker wrote:It's not that the map is ugly, it's that the unavoidable zoom level makes for zomg hueg pixels. Shadows are always nice.

Also, gundam strips out the detailtexture for which that map was designed, which makes the whole thing look blurry.

Return to “Art & Modelling”