First time I see this TA 2D art, just amazing

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Masure

Post by Masure »

Niklas Jansson : http://itchstudios.com/psg/ta/ta.htm

This guy has really good ideas and incredible drawing skills. The consistency he wanted to give to both factions is ****ing right.

Here are the shots

I don't know who he is but I would pay for those to be modeled !
Masure

Re: First time I see this TA 2D art, just amazing

Post by Masure »

Thanks !
Treeform

Post by Treeform »

i will grab the low handing fruit first!
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

This is one of those moments when bearing a grudge against me and not reading things I post comes back and bites you in the arse!

http://www.darkstars.co.uk/2007/prometheus-grounds-ta/

I was in contact with niklas for a while, and warlord zsinj was also in contact for quite a while, he even posted a lot of stuff and added storboards and extra artwork after my previous thread.
LOrDo

Post by LOrDo »

ye olde news.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

How many times are we going to hear about this?
Copyright notice: Niklas Jansson, 2007.
This means we cant use it, we cant legally use it any more than we can use the TA stuff- only Niklas knows about us and is probably more protective of his IP than Atari (Or maybe he'd be delighted we're making his models- but we have no way of knowing that).

And what mod could we use them for? Half the models arent even units that exist in any mod. Noize has said he wont put together a bunch of mismatched units, and would only put in units that fit with the other TA units or if every single unit was re-done so they had a new, unified theme.

CA is looking to re-design its models and isnt against taking on new stuff, even if it ends up looking chaotic and weird. We encourage new content. But we are probably going to be following Azaremoth designs when we actually get our hands on them, not the PSG stuff. Though, perhaps we can use both...

Im not discouraging anyone from working on new models here, lord knows re-designing all TA units would be a massive undertaking and would need all the help it can get. But if we're going to do it, we should probably do it right, not abortively and haphazardly following concept art that we arent 100% on (We only have top-downs for most units, and many dont look like final designs) and which we may not even be able to use for reasons of copyright.
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

Saktoth wrote:BAAAWW
thx captain buzzkill.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Saktoth wrote:.....
I know I have permission to use them I emailed him, and he did express an interest in using a creative commons licence for the images. Go ask him about the issue and wether CA has anything to worry about.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Okay good stuff lets do it then. :D
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Saktoth wrote:Okay good stuff lets do it then. :D
Rock on, lads! AK SPEEEEEEDDDD!
clumsy_culhane

Post by clumsy_culhane »

if we get permission, im happy to start trying to model from his concepts :)
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

I might even awake from my slumber to model one or two. If I can find the time ;)
Arne

Post by Arne »

That Copyright notice is just a part of a template or SSI even. No, the page ends in htm so it must be a template or me being sloppy. Yeah, I've been having a CC noncommercial share-alike attribution licence in mind for a while. I think I wrote some in another thread about my thoughts regarding what to do with these images. I still do not know and I got busy with other stuff. To TA or not to TA, that is the question. My main gripe with these concept is that I think I could do better, either by doing concepts more true to TA, or by enjoying the freedom of being able to just design anything I fancy.

In the meantime, if you want to use them as a base I won't get upset. If a model ends up rather close to my concept, use attribution. Since many modelers prefer to work from proper orthos, my concepts might not be of much use.

I'm not sure how you guys can solve your dilemma with all your random chefs doing drive-by's on the soup. If you are to use my images as a recipe, then I'd really like to be able to wrap some kind of package up and stamp it with CC... but I'm like a crane-fly with my projects, I just flutter around aimlessly, making futile attempts to hang onto the stuff I bump into.
Treeform

Post by Treeform »

Arne, you are Niklas Jansson - the maker of the concepts?
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

I'm locking this..we don't really need two threads on the exact same thing :P

Return to “Art & Modelling”