Ok.. time to redo the OTA textures. - Page 3

Ok.. time to redo the OTA textures.

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Icedragon

Post by Icedragon »

Okay, Makes sense. Was trying to keep the general idea of the original texture, without making a near exact replica, thus the different plating, and different rust style. But if it would be better I can make them look more similar.
smoth

Post by smoth »

aGorm wrote:Its the sort of thing... but if tghats thye one u plan to replace... dont you think it should look a bit more like it?? Plus the textures should all be made BIG, and then they can just be shrunk down to whatever size latter. That way they will look better, and if the texture turns out to be used on lots of large faces it can be resized bigger.

aGorm
that isn't the only issue. there is also the fact that the game cannot handle too many textures. esp big ones. and anything over 64X64 would really be excessive.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Icedragon wrote:Okay, Makes sense. Was trying to keep the general idea of the original texture, without making a near exact replica, thus the different plating, and different rust style. But if it would be better I can make them look more similar.
we have to keep them somewhat similar because people used certain textures for certain reasons. Some things... like gradients can be the same. After all, a gradient is a gradient... is a gradient.

I think you are safe to do a metal texture with old dirt on it. I like the rusted metal but it adds too much. Some people may use the old drippy metal texture for the side of something that would... drip. anyway.. Good job though. Keep them coming.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Just to point out what i ment... If you made the texture at say 512x512 pixels, then shrunk it down to 64x64 or 128x128 (for a big one) then it would look better. Other wise if you add say a gap between 2 plates of metal, your limitedto it being one pixle wide, where as if you started biger then shrunk, you can draw a line thats 1 pixel and it will be shrunk to less than a pixel, which looks better becase 1 pixel on and 64x64 texture means youd have like a 5 inch gap between the plates.

Making sense? hope so

aGorm
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

...:S
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Is the amount of textures that can be handled at once going to be increased? After all, have you seen what the new GeForce 7 cards can do? WOW!
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Okey dokey, I made a new set of team color textures for SWTA, but I figured I'd be nice and make an OTA set as well. It has support for up to 12 players with unique colors (I don't know how high Spring goes in that regard, I just remember seeing someone in the dev forum programming support for 12 players into their battleroom...).

There are also two flavors. One has higher resolution detail color textures (64x64 instead of 32x32), but smaller low detail textures (the solid series of colors is only 1x1 pixel, for example). However, these cost a lot of texture space real estate:

Total Texture Sheet size:
4194304 square pixels
All OTA Team color textures:
156800 square pixels
All New Team color textures:
396528 square pixels

As you can see, even with the lowered low detail ones, the new set is significantly higher. While XTA/OTA can handle this with ease, mods with lots of custom textures may have trouble coping, so there is also a set where the 64x64 textures are scaled down to 32x32 accordingly (as they were in OTA). However, the low detail textures remain the same, smaller size, so you end up saving space:

All New Team color textures, resized:
146672 square pixels

So, even with the new textures with added team support, you can still save a bit of space on your texture sheet. Remember, these figures are with the Arm/Core logos included... If you factor them out, you get this:

All OTA Textures, no Arm/Core:
33920 square pixels
All New Team color textures, no Arm/Core:
101616 square pixels
All New Team color textures, no Arm/Core, resized:
23792 square pixels

Sooo, that's about it. Anyone is free to use these, including the SY guys. I don't know how it handles radar dots though, as I'm not sure if the SYs hard coded those colors or not. Here's a preview image to show you what I mean:

And, uhh, here's a comparison of the old colors (ignore the second row, they are from my TA color hack for OTA):

And of course, here are the downloads:
Full 64x64 versions: http://wormhole.tauniverse.com/spring/t ... colors.rar
Resized versions: http://wormhole.tauniverse.com/spring/t ... ldsize.rar

Obviously if you don't need the Arm/Core logos for your mod you'll have to delete them yourself. Deal. :P

Return to “Art & Modelling”