Time for some art... - Page 3

Time for some art...

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Grumble

Post by Grumble »

I would suggest using a forced color scheme inside the client so you'll know how the logos will appear and can ensure they look good/right. If people want more color options, allow sitchable schemes, but use images specific to each one.
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

I have just done a test and discovered that it is very very difficult to mess with themes. I can only imagine how hard it will be to make it work on more than one platform. As it stands, the base releases will not come with any themes. It will just have to default to your operating system theme.

If someone wants to edit the ping icons so that they look better against "windows grey" then you can get at it. I will be happy to impliment whatever people give me.
RightField

Post by RightField »

Just do like they do with all other games. Make a frontend which fits the game's art.
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

The game has art?
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

RightField wrote:Just do like they do with all other games. Make a frontend which fits the game's art.
I wish it was that easy. Making it fit the art scheme of a game in beta, and without its own GUI is very difficult. Even if this wasn't the case, it would take months more to produce a working lobby client that had its own GUI. It would take even longer to make it cross platform. (Ready by Christmas 2005 at the earliest)
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

Wow. The guys over at PW must have put an enormous amount of time in it then!
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

They did- they had a couple of guys working JUST ON THAT for a while.
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

If we had a few full-time artists that could work on Spring that would be a very good first step. I can't start coding it until I have an artist work through how it is going to work. Either way, I am going to get the lobby done without the GUI for now. That will probably come later. =)

EDIT: On a sidenote, here are the final images I made. If anyone wants to convert them to work better with the standard "Windows grey", they can get hacking at it. It could technically look just as good as the black ones. :P

EDIT2: I also need a generic "user icon" to go in the place of the icon next to people's names. It will just serve as a placeholder until we get a ranking system implimented.
elim

I found these

Post by elim »

well i have gone and found some icons from http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=25668

I have repackaged the ones which i thought might be usefull in the options and in the main window. Enjoy.

http://www.ashu39.dsl.pipex.com/linux/icons.zip
RexWhitten

Post by RexWhitten »

Seems like a god group of individuals.

What software is everyone using for art realted design?
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

I don't know if Ace is still working on the battle room but I took the liberty to make some icons/buttons for the screenshot he posted. I'm not sure how hard it would be to change the drop down buttons but I made them anyway.

Here are some first samples:

Original:

Sample 1:

Sample 2:

Let me know if you could use any of there and I'll cut them out, etc

-Slayer
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Wow, you've got style !
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Torrasque wrote:Wow, you've got style !
I hope you weren't sarcastic ... in that case thanks! I wish had some more things to do for spring but so far everyone is quiet
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

the second one rules...

Its a shame theers not much to do on the art front realy... Theres not much I can do to help either...

aGorm
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Slayer wrote:
Torrasque wrote:Wow, you've got style !
I hope you weren't sarcastic ... in that case thanks! I wish had some more things to do for spring but so far everyone is quiet
I really like it. But unlike aGorm, my favorit is the first.

edit : the first from Slayer, so, the second :)
Last edited by Torrasque on 14 Jul 2005, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

stuck between the second and third
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

I ment second 1 down, his first remake soz if that was uncler...

aGorm
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

I'm glad you guys like it :o

The reason I made "sample2" is because the first one looks sort of busy and the 2nd one is easier to look at if you will.

I'm down to make buttons for the in game menu as well (attack, move, etc) just tell me where to send them :-)

Edit:
Also I've been thinking about adding a nice login screen for the lobby and if the developers are up for it I can design a custom lobby/battleroom screen as well. I just hope someone's out there who can use all this stuff
Last edited by Slayer on 15 Jul 2005, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

I'm not sure, but I think the actual gui don't support new images.

But, the one I'm bugfixing support it. (just look at button.bmp , check.bmp , pane.bmp , tooltip , etc...)
(I'm make some adds , because alone, I will not finish it, I'm just a Developper of Sunday:))
Last edited by Torrasque on 15 Jul 2005, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Nice art!
Still I have played with the lobby code and I don't think all of it can be used.
Things like a drop-down menu or a checkbox are defined by the desktop theme.

It's indeed a shame art can't be fully used a.t.m.
Still keep at it, it's great to see stuff like this.

Return to “Art & Modelling”