Core Weasel +1 - Page 5

Core Weasel +1

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Zpock

Re: Core Weasel +1

Post by Zpock »

I just messed around with the hues in photoshop to get a more brownish camo.
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

**contents of zip**
"corfav.s3o" spring model
"corfav_final.max" 3dStudio max-7 master model
512x512 Final texture + teamcolor. (corfav_1_512.dds)
512x512 Reflect + Glow +Alpha. (corfav_2_512.dds)
Origional 1024x1024's included with zip in .dds format

Took me forever but there it is :-) , enjoy

Just needs script
Last edited by MR.D on 23 Jan 2008, 02:01, edited 1 time in total.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

I prefer the green one, it looks AWESOME
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

Weasel fixed, it now uses no transparency on the wheels.

I also used a single section cylinder instead of 2 section with a bevel on each wheel.

Triangle total is now 610.

http://www.mrd.str8-6.com/files/Core_we ... otrans.zip
MDV

Post by MDV »

Nice, but it's wheels are very simple. They needs better detalization and textures.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

*shin-kicks MDV for being an idiot*
MDV

Post by MDV »

I didn't say that the model is bad. :roll:
MDV

Post by MDV »

Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

So? Who cares if it's a *bit* different. I think it's an improvement, personally
MDV

Post by MDV »

Guessmyname wrote:Who cares if it's a *bit* different.
I.))) :roll:
Guessmyname wrote:I think it's an improvement, personally
Of course, it's designer's decision, but I point out some things that can be better. Original wheels are really better, but have bad textures.
At long last.. it's a violation of liberty of speech! :evil: :mrgreen:
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

Thats the CInema model for movies, and the triangle count of each wheel is nearly the sum of the entire OTA in-game weasel model.

Looking good is besides the point, I wanted to keep triangle count low because the unit can be spammed by the hundreds quite easily.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

MDV, this is Mr. D's interpretation of the Weasel. If you want it to look different, do it yourself.

Plus, this model has already been textured. Reworking the geometry after skinning it is somewhere close to impossible: he'd probably have to start it all over again. He's hardly going to do that for a user who has literally just joined today
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Go away and stop reviving old threads
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

rattle, he only joined today. Ease up on him a bit...
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

MDV wrote:Image
That model is bumpmapped.... our engine can't even do that yet.
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

I still don't understand how that is possible, basic bump mapping has been around for about 6 years now.

3d Normal mapping for lightshaders maybe a bit harder to implement and keep speedy.. but bump mapping just using a greyscale height map should be a pretty simple process that could go into spring.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

MR.D wrote:I still don't understand how that is possible, basic bump mapping has been around for about 6 years now.

3d Normal mapping for lightshaders maybe a bit harder to implement and keep speedy.. but bump mapping just using a greyscale height map should be a pretty simple process that could go into spring.
Apparently the normalmap approach of bumpmapping is actually much more efficient all around (both implementation-simplicity and speed-wise) than the heightmap approach.

But either way - yeah, not there yet. Pretty much a "you want it - you implement it" thing.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

The graphical renderer for spring hasn't been significantly altered since SJ made dynamic water. Simply put, it just hasn't been done, since it's work, and no one has gotten around to it. It doesn't help that since jelmer left we don't have someone highly experienced in graphical rendering code on the team of active committers. There was that one guy who was decoupling the renderers, which will be awesome if it gets finished, but I'm not sure what happened to that...
Tribulexrenamed

Post by Tribulexrenamed »

MDV wrote:Image
Wow, that is one big weasel. I like the way the tires are balloon-like. Its a nice effect. However, I think that the weasel should perhaps go in the direction of being low profile and stealthy looking, rather than detailed and lethal. What was always special about the weasel is that Core (noob) always does a weasel rush, and they were hard to see and notice on the map. In addition, they played the psychological game of looking like little furry weasels, not something that will take out all your t1 metal econ in 30 seconds if you are not paying attention. I know this model is done, but if I ever get skills I am going to design a weasel with covered wheels and a small pop-up laser turret that represents this truly unique and special Core unit which does not follow the standard brute force approach that all other Core units use.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I would be much more accepting of proposals for bumpmapping then I would be of all the drooling for normal mapping. Even so you are adding 1 more texture PER UNIT to be stored in an enging that is already using the fuck out of your texture memory. When all the units are modeled spring will have an issue if we do not have sm3 by then.

Return to “Art & Modelling”