Core Instigator +1

Core Instigator +1

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

MR.D

Core Instigator +1

Post by MR.D »

My attempt to remodel the OTA cinema Core Instigator tank with Animated tracks and wheels.

My model is 390 triangles.

Original in game model is 170 triangles.

Credits to Rattle for the script work

**Scripted Final Core Gator game model**
http://rattle.from-hell.net/spring/mode ... rgator.zip

Last edited by MR.D on 12 Nov 2007, 02:57, edited 7 times in total.
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

In-game Instigator

Cavedog Cinema model

Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

lookin good :D
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Spot on IMO Mr. D

With a good texture that thing will be made of win and pwn.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

The back needs... something. It looks terribly plain compared to the rest of it. Perhaps inset the corners or the center of the area like that corner on the front end, just to break it up a little without adding all that many triangles.

It might also be nice if you used a somewhat large bevel on the corners where the treads' front/back areas meet the outer edge. Core is certainly blocky, but I don't really like edges that sharp on supposedly high-tech battle tanks. It doesn't need to be gigantic, and it can certainly still appear blocky and angular with that extra bit of detail, and I think it'd make the design a bit more pleasing overall (even for a Core unit ;)).

My last complaint is probably that hatch, considering Core are copy-pasted personalities, but hey, it looks nice and Cavedog did it first, so that's your call!
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

Well, just because Core are Machines does that mean that they're the vehicle too?

Perhaps that hatch could be a plug instead its got some wierd cutouts like the top of a screw, like that Anime Evangelion had plugs for pilots, but were also AI controlled :D

Who knows, I thought it added something to an otherwise very plain top.

With these bevels though, do you mean the Wells for the track? make that more rounded like I did on the goliath?
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

Didn't the dummy plugs only work once when it served the plot? :P I agree that it helps fill out the top of the turret, though, so go ahead and leave it. Heh--or write some lua which detects which team it's on, and show the hatch if it's under Arm control (via capture, rez, or whatever). That'd be a silly but neat minute detail!

Anyway, this is what I meant by the bevel:

Just to soften the shape a bit, but keep it angular and blocky and in Core style. Those hard corners really look strange to me next to the front end and the turret, both of which lack hard 90 degree changes like that.
Erom

Post by Erom »

The hatch is for maintenance. Or where they plug in the giant electrical cord to recharge the tank. :lol:

Looking very nice.
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

Had another really busy week, finally had some time to work on the texture.

Got the basic palette done, and camo started, still have a long way to go to get it sexy like the Goliath though.

More to come.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Once again, in just the pallet it looks really wrong. Make it sexy like goli plx :)
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

yar, the whole design from the Cinema model looks so totally different from the gator that we all love to spam...

having a full time job = sucks :()
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Actually, I like the profile for the most part, the architecture. It's better than the goli was from just a modeled standpoint IMO.

It's the texture. It just doesn't look right with primary camo like that. Same thing with the goli, it's just not the way we're used to seeing it. On the origional model, the camo is there, sure, but it's hidden somewhat under plating preshading and other assorted machinery elements.
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

Don't worry about it :D

It will still be the same muddy brown blur at the range at which its seen ingame 8)
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Still waiting to see how you handle the detailing.

I demand a tutorial on how you get your base textures! That metal texture is sexy :)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

A darker gray texture with extra details on it would look better, but otherwise its pretty much perfect imo.
DZHIBRISH

Post by DZHIBRISH »

I think so to but please provide in game screens and how it looks from afar ingame...maybe put like a gropud pf 20 of them..and another gropus of flash :)
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

is the teamcolour going to be in the same place? cause you gotta have that stripe and logo for it to be gator :wink:
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

id rather he didnt put the logo on it, makes it a bit less blatantly IP infringing, plus, then it can be used for other mods (you know, all those ones that arent OTA based)
smoth

Post by smoth »

logos are tacky.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

No logos please

Return to “Art & Modelling”