In celebration of computer fixery... - Page 6

In celebration of computer fixery...

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Snipawolf

Re: In celebration of computer fixery...

Post by Snipawolf »

It looks a bit too curved.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

The LWS Victory (Left) vs the SSE Iscariot (Right)

Click the image for a bigger version
smoth

Post by smoth »

I like it a lot.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Wow, where'd all the art critics come from?

The image reflects a poor general understanding of anatomy masked by the fact that the character's clothes are well done. As weird and creepy as it is, the only real solution is to draw more nudes, alot more nudes, and then apply what you learn back to proper character art. I can't really blame guess for not being incredibly enthusiastic for immediately correcting that particular flaw. Not only is it creepy, but unless you're quite perverted, it's incredibly boring too.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Nice, but you have oodles of unused bandwidth at darkstars! You needn't use uploadthis at all.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

I have no idea how to upload to darkstars...

EDIT: I'll try, give me a sec...

EDIT: Okay, here we go...
Keithus

Post by Keithus »

SwiftSpear wrote:Wow, where'd all the art critics come from?

The image reflects a poor general understanding of anatomy masked by the fact that the character's clothes are well done. As weird and creepy as it is, the only real solution is to draw more nudes, alot more nudes, and then apply what you learn back to proper character art. I can't really blame guess for not being incredibly enthusiastic for immediately correcting that particular flaw. Not only is it creepy, but unless you're quite perverted, it's incredibly boring too.
+1

Also, smudge, dodge and burn tools are your friend. And unless you become exceptionally good at anime style drawings its best to lose the lines and go for a more painterly style.

As mentioned before by someone use of pen pressure is a good idea, if its not working you may not have your tablets drivers installed.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Don't worry, I've got the hang of my tablet now, I think.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Guessmyname wrote:Don't worry, I've got the hang of my tablet now, I think.
Pics or it didn't happen.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Pics when I've finished it, Bruce...
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Whoo! *falls asleep*

Actual webcomic won't be up for a while yet. Things to do:
Buffer
Figure out how Britain's copyright laws work
Website
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

So, I guess I'll critique for the first time.

You seem like the type of drawer who doesn't have much "control". Your drawings seem to be improvised as you go along, adding more detail that you feel will fit what's already been done, in a linear fashion, and not subject to any pre-planned idea or design (except maybe arbitrarily). I think this because I'm the same way, and because a lot of your images are from extremely common perspectives -- straight front or straight side, as if the image began as you reproducing something you've done countless times -- or they're somewhat akwardly angled with strange body positions, which shows you're struggling to use different techniques. I also lack the ability to 'foresee' how I want the image to look like and end up improvising pencil strokes essentially at random until I get one I like, and build on it, and eventually end up with often calamitous pictures, all a "butterfly effect" of the instant I set the pencil onto the paper for the first time.

I'd suggest spending more time pre-planning scenes and images, drawing very rough drafts from different viewpoints and character positions, of what sorts of environmental details you want around (a street, cars, desks, lamps, whatever), and once you've got a basic idea of what kind of stuff you want and what you want the panel to look like, work on a main copy...

Unless I'm wayyyy off in which case fuck it, I'm no artist. :) I failed that shit, "How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way" be damned.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Thanks Spiked!
Keithus

Post by Keithus »

Nice use of the smudge tool to create your effects in that picture.

The picture is nice, her left (our right) shoulder feels a little high, giving her a strange hunch, left forearm is about 20% too long, feet are about 50% too small. And you want a stronger pose for the legs, they currently look like she is about to trip. Left arm could be moved away from the body a little to give a more impressive silhouette.

To add to what spiked said, I think you might want to look into drawing "form" more. Next time you look at a human you don't see lines, as in we don't walk around outlined with thin black lines.
This is incredibly difficult but have a go drawing some human forms without using any outlines, but instead by shading out from the centre. Never stop to outline something.

Should probably throw in something about your lines of action or flow but, just make sure your poses are obvious and clear silhouettes.

And I obviously have too much free time to comment on things this much... Sorry if I sound like an arse.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Keithus wrote:To add to what spiked said, I think you might want to look into drawing "form" more. Next time you look at a human you don't see lines, as in we don't walk around outlined with thin black lines.
This is incredibly difficult but have a go drawing some human forms without using any outlines, but instead by shading out from the centre. Never stop to outline something.
Digitally, it's much easier to do form drawing at the coloring stage as opposed to the sketching stage.

Also, not that form drawing for practice is a bad idea, it gives you more understanding of how form works... but ultimately it's not a style that's used very often in commercial art because it takes too long.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Bigger boobs, shorter arms and perhaps a bit less tomboy look. Otherwise neat.
Keithus

Post by Keithus »

Yeah, practicing form drawing will help achieve better outlines for your sketches as knowledge in form (and anatomy) and will allow faster more accurate representations of what you want to portray.

Not trying to say to change your style, just practice another.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

EDIT: Oh damn, I meant to put highlights on the armour. Damn.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Nicely done! That character has a good feeling of posture and weight. The clothes feel natural, and seem to hang better, and the armor is properly stiff. I'd go over it and highlight it a bit more, for consistency of lighting, but that's a vast improvement over the last one :-)

Return to “Art & Modelling”