In celebration of computer fixery... - Page 2

In celebration of computer fixery...

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Erom

Post by Erom »

aGorm wrote:rubber
American translation = Eraser, not condom. :)
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

"Cornered"
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Great sense of movement. The perspective on the guns and the foreshortening on the arms really sells the image. Love that you can follow the arc of bullet shells.

However, I think you need to make a study of clothing, and the way clothes fold during movement. Just grab images of people doing things in different types of clothing off google images and sketch them, and you'll quickly be able to predict how clothing behaves under certain conditions.

Also, you have very strong lighting points on the guns, but the lighting on the person and walls is very soft, almost candle-lit. I think you need to up the contrast on a number of the surfaces reflecting light, and darken (and make more crisp) the shadowed areas. You could even bring in a bit of yellow from the muzzleflash into the clothing, if you wanted.

Nice pic :)

EDIT: Also, I notice quite often you use baggy clothes to avoid drawing detail on the human figure. If you want to get really good at those, it's time to hit the anatomy books!
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

My first all-tablet/mouse piece! No pencils or scanners involved!

rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Woah, tits!
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Those trees look amazingly good considering you were drunk when you drew the lines for the trunk :P
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Try vertical strokes on the ground instead of horizontal ones in order to get a grass sensation. That will let you bring the ground up over the roots which are entering the ground, and make the transition less sudden.

Otherwise it's nice, but her proprotion is off. As a rule, the legs should be about the length of the torso. For males, you generally don't include the head; for female's you do. The last bit is not a hard and fast rule, and doesn't take into account natural variation, but it's an excellent rule of thumb when penning in something that should look right.

SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Ugg, anatomy nazis...

Ok, I can see it as valid if someone puts muscles in the wrong place, but proportion exaggeration are the blood and guts of good art style and image communication.

[edit] One trick I found... Big hands look better than small hands. Try to intentionally make hands bigger than you think they would realistically be. If you make hands too small they look ugly right away, but big hands are easier to draw because you don't have to be so tight in space with the complicated anatomy and unless the size is approaching obtuse slightly over sized hands will not be noticed as an anatomic inaccuracy.
Keithus

Post by Keithus »

Depends how good you can draw hands...

Looking good GMN.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Keithus wrote:Depends how good you can draw hands...

Looking good GMN.
Surprisingly, it even makes bad hands look better. For some reason the human eye is less likely to notice an anatomical error if the dimensions of the hand are slightly over sized. Looking through the art of many professional and advanced artists I often pick out small errors in things like hands that get effectively hidden by good proportioning and effective posing.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I disagree swift.

Proportion is the backbone (no pun intended :P) of drawing people. You can only distort people to highlight certain aspects after you can draw people to propotion, because then, and only then, do you know what you're doing. And even then I'd rarely recommend it.

As far as GMN's drawing goes, I think it would look a lot better if the legs were less long and spindly in comparison to the body, which don't look correct. Which is not to take anything away from GMN, it's still a very good drawing, and he's improving with every one.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Unfortunately, it's currently impossible for me to draw a long straight line or a smoothed curve with it wobbling madly. Makes legs a challenge to say the least. I'll try shortening them.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Problems with the tablet?
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

I doubt it, more likely its becasue as he said this is teh first all tablet drawing. It takes ages to mess with the setttings to get it to work just how you want it. Its taken me over a year to get a brush i can draw as well as i can with a pencil with.

And i still havent found a good setting for inkin over...

Anyway, its a step in the right direction, just work on proportions (but dont lose your long limb style casue thast what makes your characters yours... they can be deformd as long as it looks right!) and practace lots and you'll get right up there.

aGorm
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

aGorm = correct

Personally, I quite like my eye style as well (anyone noticed that her eyes weren't just a flat disk of colour that they are on all my other drawings? Advantage of tablet drawings ftw!)
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

The left mode versus the right mode...

If you can make the switch to the right side of your brain for creative activites, you can draw anything amazingly. I would give you the pic the teacher in art class gave us, but I couldn't find it even after 30 mins of searching the web and google images.

The left mode thinks verbally, symbollically, and mathematically. When you see a hand, you think it is a hand. To make the switch to the right side of the brain, you have to think of only lines, not hands. Saying hands screws you up because you are used to the symbol of a hand. When you think of eyes, and letters, you also see symbols. This makes drawing letters that are curved/wrapped around something hard. I actually found the difference... I can almost draw letters on a beer can now, but a few weeks ago (I had to draw a lake for a project), the beer can had flat letters.

Betty Edwards wrote a book on it, may be worth something to you...
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I got that one in workbook form, problem is it frequently requires tools I don't have at hand which really doesn't help when she's already talking about huge mental barriers.
Keithus

Post by Keithus »

Any chance of sharing your brush details agorm? Just brought myself an Wacom intuos 6*11 for course work and I'm trying to get the hang of drawing on the tablet.

And proportions ftw; unless you can show some really nice pics of big handed people Swift. And I don't mean hands that are big due to perspective. :P
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

IHNIWTIBILC: I Have No Idea What This Is But It Looks Cool

This glorified sketch is one of those that falls down up close (the colouring in this really *is* sloppy). If I ever use this style for real, I promise not to make it so messy!

I like the line style, though (it's certainly easier to produce too), and I found a neat way to do hard shading using layers and blending techniques
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I hate to be the annoying drawing guy, but the place where that picture really falls down is the perspective.

The gun thingy that the dude is aiming through is under one set of perspective rules, while the rest of the picture is under an entirely different set of perspective.

The gun thing is vanishing to a point, that if you traced it just a few millimetres to the left of where the gun finishes, you should theoretically hit the horizon; but instead you hit a guy who is only a few metres back.

Even with exaggurated perspective, the clash of perspective just doesn't make sense, which breaks the believability of the illustration.

The background is nice but avoid just 'scribbling', as it works against you. Try to use more controlled lines; your use of lineweights is very good though.

Reminds me of some of the Book of Random art.

Return to “Art & Modelling”