Core morty replacement. - Page 5

Core morty replacement.

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

User avatar
TheMightyOne
Posts: 492
Joined: 26 Feb 2007, 14:32

Re: Core morty replacement.

Post by TheMightyOne »

why attacking the poor guy? the model *IS* great, no doubt. smoth did an awesome job. but i agree with MDV. imo it looks a bit too human, more like a cyborg. it kinda falls out of the design of other models. still, its just my opinion.
User avatar
rattle
Damned Developer
Posts: 8278
Joined: 01 Jun 2006, 13:15

Re: Core morty replacement.

Post by rattle »

Bad -moderation
User avatar
Otherside
Posts: 2296
Joined: 21 Feb 2006, 14:09

Re: Core morty replacement.

Post by Otherside »

note the thread is called

MORTY REPLACEMENT

as in not carbon copy of morty with more polys and a better texture...

sheesh i hate people who bash talented modellers/texturers on remake threads... and then complain it dusnt look the original

a new unit will stand out from an OTA unit cos in 10 years stuff has progressed and you can make better looking units..(especially if your skilled like Mr D and Smoth)

Like Gator stood out in CA till the rest of the core tier 1 vehicle was remodelled even if the morty was remade to look just like a better version of the rather ugly original it would still stand out regardless.

OTA Models are over 10 years old!!! and use primitive but effective texturing and modelling techniques (plus u only really saw them from top down)

now stop complaining in remake threads if you can make a better carbon copy of an OTA model do it yourself stop critiquing people for making a unit different from a original design (its usually an improvement on the old anyway!!)

I think smoths rendition of the morty is good because he got rid of stuff that made morty one of the most dull/ugly units in OTA
[Krogoth86]
Posts: 1176
Joined: 23 Aug 2007, 19:46

Re: Core morty replacement.

Post by [Krogoth86] »

Well I don't really understand why besides the resurrection of an old thread some people get so crazy and imply bashing being done. I see no single line of bashing smoth's work in the recent postings - just constructive criticism by pointing out what is thought of not having turned out so well.

There was no "this model is bad" and there was no " we really need another one because this one sux". And with things like that
Guessmyname wrote:he knows his stuff, and thought the morty should look like that. Thus, when he made it, it did. If you want it to look different, don't criticize smoth for it: he's making it how he sees it.
you really should go ahead and boycott any kind of magazines and media with reviews because following this attitude any kind of reviews seem to be superfluous: Uwe Boll wanted to make his films that way, AMD designed their Phenoms to have the TLB bug and bluescreens are a feature and no bug in Windows - don't criticize them for it...

Sorry if I was a bit too rough but I don't believe this seriously is your attitude. I can understand you're annoyed by having this topic again where the criticism will have zero effect on the final outcome but why do you start bitching around instead of just ignoring it or asking a mod to close this. This still is an art subforum and the things here are meant for showcasing & asking for constructive help. If you can't stand reading what others don't like on someone's work then just don't but all the artists you listed like smoth and Mr. D are not perfect - how could they, nobody is. So stop pretending like every decision they made was the ultimately best solution. They do things the way the want it but that doesn't mean it's wonderful and untouchable work of awesomeness.

Of course certain things are a matter of taste and perception but well that's what all of this is about so don't try suppress that. Let people have their opinions - when they are stupid tell them so and give reason but don't get crazy on it. Proofing them wrong is enough and everyone can read that then so no need to start a fight even when the respective person doesn't agree with you...

Sorry again for this little rant but I still think it's totally inappropiate that someone who did a bagatelle of reviving an old thread is immeditaley faced with angry postings and insults - quite an overreaction...
User avatar
Guessmyname
Posts: 3301
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 21:07

Re: Core morty replacement.

Post by Guessmyname »

I'm not...

Sigh. This is the problem with the internet. All you get is text: you can't tell how the speaker intends it to be said...

The reason I suggested 'make it yourself' is because what he's suggesting is quite a serious diversion from what smoth's made (plus, he made it ages ago, so he's unlikely to change it...). Plus, if he did, we'd get another guy into the modding biz, which can only be a good thing. Sniping was not my intention: the guy only registered today...

Also, whilst I see your point, using Uwe Boll as a comparison is a bit flawed: isn't he deliberately making them crap because of German laws that allow him to profit off of loss?
[Krogoth86]
Posts: 1176
Joined: 23 Aug 2007, 19:46

Re: Core morty replacement.

Post by [Krogoth86] »

Guessmyname wrote:The reason I suggested 'make it yourself' is because what he's suggesting is quite a serious diversion from what smoth's made (plus, he made it ages ago, so he's unlikely to change it...).
Well maybe I misinterpreted you but imo he just disliked that smoth's interpretation had quite some differences to the OTA idol. Suggesting a "make it yourself" then is a kinda lame comment because well - this is something you can answer to any kind of reply no matter if it was a valid suggetsion / opinion or not. And I think the way it was said wasn't really encouraging in terms of starting to actually redo it for good... :wink:
Guessmyname wrote:Also, whilst I see your point, using Uwe Boll as a comparison is a bit flawed: isn't he deliberately making them crap because of German laws that allow him to profit off of loss?
I don't know much about that - he'll probably get a nice bunch of money for directing but he isn't making them crap on purpose and that actually is the drama when you look at all the films he made yet and licences he wasted for any serious follow-up projects by others... :mrgreen:
User avatar
rattle
Damned Developer
Posts: 8278
Joined: 01 Jun 2006, 13:15

Re: Core morty replacement.

Post by rattle »

No this isn't really an invite for opinions or that I am really looking for a critique.
[Krogoth86]
Posts: 1176
Joined: 23 Aug 2007, 19:46

Re: Core morty replacement.

Post by [Krogoth86] »

Well rattle you don't need to apologize that you missed that short line back then and your initial postings contain just those opinions and critique... :wink:
User avatar
rattle
Damned Developer
Posts: 8278
Joined: 01 Jun 2006, 13:15

Re: Core morty replacement.

Post by rattle »

Nope. Still reviving old threads is fail unless there is special need. :P
[Krogoth86]
Posts: 1176
Joined: 23 Aug 2007, 19:46

Re: Core morty replacement.

Post by [Krogoth86] »

rattle wrote:Still reviving old threads is fail unless there is special need. :P
Agreed! :-)
User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14650
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

Re: Core morty replacement.

Post by Forboding Angel »

A new user really should know better than the necro an old ass thread. That's common sense.
User avatar
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer
Posts: 2699
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 13:31

Re: Core morty replacement.

Post by bobthedinosaur »

but its okay for old users? and yes that model you dug up is ugly as sin
User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14650
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

Re: Core morty replacement.

Post by Forboding Angel »

lolwut?
User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22306
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Core morty replacement.

Post by smoth »

Ok, first, I am not offended, it is his opinion and he wanted to offer advice. I am surprised that anyone gave a crap. The model is just a model and as others have said, if you can do better, do it. I don't care who does what as long as it looks better then it does now. The changes I made in design were ones I felt made sense(see response below).

I like the morty, I use him, I wanted him to look better. That is all. You guys want a grittier version, the PSD, model files etc were uploaded. Although thanks to cuppy the files are no longer online. I'll have to upload them. As with the version in CA which was modified, I have no issue with people playing with the morty. I guess I can make a ta-styled version(aka shitty panels) with lots of *grit* aka make it look like it has been sitting in salt water.

NOW to address the critique:

-The right arm was removed and replaced with a counter weight as it serves NO PURPOSE!

-The torso was changed from flat to one with a sloped front to better deflect incoming shots, the inspiration for which was taken from modern tanks.

-the colors are bright cammo, like the original... you know, the one with BRIGHT YELLOW AND BLACK CAMMO.

-the legs were left with a polished steel finish as I felt that a machine constructed purely by nanomachines would be clean and perfect in it's construction.

-the helmet being done in the barbute style is a decision which was a tribute to magneto. Also because I FEEL it has an imposing shape.

-The bright red glow inside the helmet was meant to dehumanize the machine much like the cylon
[Krogoth86]
Posts: 1176
Joined: 23 Aug 2007, 19:46

Re: Core morty replacement.

Post by [Krogoth86] »

smoth wrote:-The right arm was removed and replaced with a counter weight as it serves NO PURPOSE!
Well I can think of some situations where an arm might be useful although this of course are situations not simulated in an RTS...
smoth wrote:-The torso was changed from flat to one with a sloped front to better deflect incoming shots, the inspiration for which was taken from modern tanks.
Well it's not heavily armored and mostly an artillery bot and no skirmisher and so giving skirmishers an even stronger looking armour might get a bit ridiculous as it would have to be more heavy...
smoth wrote:-the colors are bright cammo, like the original... you know, the one with BRIGHT YELLOW AND BLACK CAMMO.
Nothing against the choice of using a camo texture but not pure one coloured areas with ultra bright colors because that's too cartoony. Imo you also can't point towards the OTA texture because well it's an extremely tine texture made for good contrast as you'll never zoom in and have a closer look ingame...
smoth wrote:-the legs were left with a polished steel finish as I felt that a machine constructed purely by nanomachines would be clean and perfect in it's construction.
Well I in fact like the legs...
smoth wrote:-the helmet being done in the barbute style is a decision which was a tribute to magneto. Also because I FEEL it has an imposing shape.
Well why should the morty need a tribute to Magneto and why needs OTA in general a connection to X-Men? In addition to that this sort of gives the morty a "character" but imo as it's about cloned / copied masses of war machines having "soulless" units walking around should be the way to go and so I think this wasn't the best idea...
smoth wrote:-The bright red glow inside the helmet was meant to dehumanize the machine much like the cylon
Well I think this really is a matter of interpretation and so my critique on this just would be the (again) too cartoony look of it. You know - an X-Men helmet a cartoony camo texture and a comic like red glow makes it more of a anime / cartoon entity than a cold war machine designed to annihilate the enemy. It just lacks that serious atmosphere of warfare with its bright colors and comic like look of the texture (well at least the torso and head as the legs are something I like as there is some minor weathering / gradient on the faces and no plain colors)...
User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22306
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Core morty replacement.

Post by smoth »

[Krogoth86] wrote: Well I can think of some situations where an arm might be useful although this of course are situations not simulated in an RTS...
tell that to fans of american styled mechs(I.E. MADCAT)
[Krogoth86] wrote:Well it's not heavily armored and mostly an artillery bot and no skirmisher and so giving skirmishers an even stronger looking armour might get a bit ridiculous as it would have to be more heavy...
The torso may also house subsystems, such as sensors inside the front etc. It also is slimer, I just took that big frontal target and turned it 90 degrees where it presented less of a surface to shoot.



[Krogoth86] wrote: Well why should the morty need a tribute to Magneto and why needs OTA in general a connection to X-Men? In addition to that this sort of gives the morty a "character" but imo as it's about cloned / copied masses of war machines having "soulless" units walking around should be the way to go and so I think this wasn't the best idea...
Wrong, ALL core units started as humans meaning that the morty and it's pilot were once a human. They take the most sucessful humans and pattern them. That pattern goes into the core machine pattern stores along with said persons mech. IF the core duplicates the morty's pilot it would also duplicate the morty as the pilot had it modified.

Maybe the pilot liked magneto? Maybe the pilot liked the helmet shape and modified the head of his unit out of sheer ego?

[Krogoth86] wrote:cold
or I was going for a HEAT feeling. Intensity both in power and in ferocity. Less of a cold machine and more of a pattern full of hate and ready to kill. Cold is dull HATE is more interesting to me. I would put "fuck you" on the side of it's gun but I figured that was too much.

I could very well go in and give it a more cold and emotionless appearance, give it a very obviously mechanical head but it started as a human, in a mech being very good at what he does. So good that the core has used him for god knows how many years. If that dude's personality was part of what made him awesome(most likely) then it goes into the pattern.
User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22306
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Core morty replacement.

Post by smoth »

Image
Image
Click for larger image.


SUCH A FUSS for a model which has NO screenshots.

Eitherway, I had to say this but honestly, I have no reason to go back and redo the model. I am sure there are one or two of you who hate it.. in fact unless I make it YOUR way you will hate it but I still like the guy :P.
[Krogoth86]
Posts: 1176
Joined: 23 Aug 2007, 19:46

Re: Core morty replacement.

Post by [Krogoth86] »

smoth wrote:Eitherway, I had to say this but honestly, I have no reason to go back and redo the model. I am sure there are one or two of you who hate it.. in fact unless I make it YOUR way you will hate it but I still like the guy :P.
Well if you're reffering to me where did I say you should go and redo it and that I dislike / hate your model? As I (in fact) said I think it's pretty good but I don't like certain decisions you made and gave reason for this - nothing more...
User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22306
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Core morty replacement.

Post by smoth »

Nope, just being clear that this isn't a discussion on whether or not smoth will redo the model :P. Because I won't.

I like discussing the design of the unit. Just like my palm trees(which should be supplanted by agorms) if someone does a better morty I will not be offended. However, I like my replacement model as it is not a direct copy and more an interpretation/tribute. It was something to replace that awful TA model, I more to the point wanted to directly address the concerns/questions brought up about the decisions made by me in my design. As I said in the first post, I didn't care about critiques etc.

the reason was the above post, I cannot please anyone and at the end of the day, I have to be happy with the job myself. Which I am. Anyway, feel free to discuss the guy. If the CA guys actually want to keep the unit then I can treat it to better match Mr. D's style but I will not ass it up in the TA style.
User avatar
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead
Posts: 7287
Joined: 12 Aug 2005, 09:29

Re: Core morty replacement.

Post by SwiftSpear »

MDV wrote:
Guessmyname wrote:If you don't like it, you can easily make your own...
I don't understand your position. If somebody needs "respects", he can always get them. But if he needs real mark which can help him in perfection of his skills, it's necessary to say all that you think. :roll:
It's incredibly rude to critique something an artist made nearly a year ago. Of course their ability's will have changed since then, your critique won't likely even be relevant any more.

Consider this your warning.
Post Reply

Return to “Art & Modelling”