Can't update spads to new engine version

SpringRTS Perl Autohost for Dedicated Server

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers, SPADS AutoHost

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Here is the folder structure of the engine folder. Trying to go from 104.0.1-1344-g07bdbaf to 104.0.1-1455-g39f8fbd
https://i.imgur.com/3lTgDIq.png

The relevant part of spads conf
https://i.imgur.com/eOndw48.png

And this is what happens when spads tries to start
https://i.imgur.com/4jKKYYd.png (Yes I know it says 1454 in this screenshot but that's because I tried going back a spring version just to make sure that it wasn't something fucked up in 1455. The issue and error remains exactly the same.)

I don't understand. There is literally no difference between the way that it looks for 1344 and 1455. The folder structure is exactly the same. Nothing is different here except the engine version.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Can't update spads to new engine version

What would anyone suggest that I do to solve this issue?
bibim
Lobby Developer

Post by bibim »

Something must be missing in the directory of the new engine version you are trying to use and this version is no longer available for download so SPADS can't fix it.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Bibim, It's a direct unzip from the minimal portable builds that I always use. I have verified that spring launches correctly from command line (yes I know spads is using dedicated). But even so, this would be spads just checking that the files were all there, yes?

Thinksome, The thing is, I've been doing this since a long time at this point. It's not as though I don't know how to do it properly. Also, evo distributes the engine via steam and itch. The builds are self contained and portable. You can remove my hosts from your crosshairs.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Ok so I made a video showing what I'm doing so that you can see for yourself (2 minutes long):
https://youtu.be/XLggKAYsdqE

Maybe from seeing it for yourself you can see if I'm messing something up
bibim
Lobby Developer

Post by bibim »

My recommended actions:
  • Enable SPADS auto-update on your autohosts (remember that if you share same SPADS installation directory between several autohosts, only one of them must have auto-update enabled (*))
  • Stop downloading the Spring packages yourself, according to your configuration you chose to use the Spring version auto-management functionality so you can let SPADS do the job

The root cause of your problem is that you are using SPADS version 0.12.5 while current stable version is 0.12.6.

When you are using development/maintenance Spring versions, you might need to keep SPADS auto-update enabled or at least update your SPADS binaries manually from time to time (perl update.pl <release> -a). In your case what happened is that one of the libraries provided with the static Spring package for Windows has been renamed (DevIL.dll --> libIL.dll) and your SPADS version is still looking for the old one. Since it doesn't find it it prevents you from trying to use these binaries through Spring version auto-management functionality.

(*) This is no longer true with SPADS versions >= 0.12.12: you can have several SPADS instances sharing same binaries and with the autoUpdateRelease setting set, as long as they don't use different values for this setting (see here for details)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Ahhhh, ok, that clears up a lot.

Couple related questions:
When you are using development/maintenance Spring versions, you might need to keep SPADS auto-update enabled or at least update your SPADS binaries manually from time to time (perl update.pl <release> -a)
Welp, tbh I thought it was enabled. Where do I go to change the settings? I don't know how to set this?
Edit before posting: found it. It's literally in spads conf. Set it to stable. Hopefully that's good enough. I think what happened is that last time I had to do a manual update and I probably blanked it. So this bit sorts itself out.
Stop downloading the Spring packages yourself, according to your configuration you chose to use the Spring version auto-management functionality so you can let SPADS do the job
If not in automanagedspringversion, where do you tell it what version to use?

Thanks for the help <3
bibim
Lobby Developer

Post by bibim »

Forboding Angel wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 22:42 If not in automanagedspringversion, where do you tell it what version to use?
As explained here, there are 2 ways to manage Spring binaries with SPADS.

1) You can choose to manage Spring installation yourself manually. In this case you don't specify a version in spads.conf but you directly configure the paths of the Spring binaries you want to use. This is not really recommended because it requires special attention to always keep springServer, unitsyncDir and springDataDir consistent with the version you want to use.

2) You can choose to use the Spring version auto-management functionality of SPADS which automatically downloads and installs Spring versions for you. In this case you just need to specify which Spring version or release you want to use in spads.conf and SPADS takes care of the rest (you can even specify "maintenance" for example instead of a specific version, and SPADS will always use the latest available version of the Spring maintenance branch for example).

Return to “SPADS AutoHost”