Post by quakeman2 »

Hello,

i need to clone the TS database of BA for my new mod: MA Mando Annihilation

Thanks for your support.

Mando
Silentwings

Re: TS database clone for new MOD

Post by Silentwings »

Presumably, this refers to http://springfiles.com/spring/games/mando-annihilation, which looks to be a renamed continuation of viewtopic.php?f=44&t=36078, viewtopic.php?f=44&t=36078#p581788

As has been said before, you will need either (a) An endorsement from BA or (b) To read and follow the guidelines on https://springrts.com/wiki/Licenses_Forking_Mutators. It looks as though almost no effort has been made in this direction - the game linked above does not do so in multiple, obvious, ways.

For example, it imitates BAs version numbering, 9.46.x. It includes loadscreens featuring games of BA (i.e. all of them). An icon that says "BA" is displayed when in windowed mode. It is currently hosted on servers that are associated with BAs infra - and up until recently actually hosted BA.

The ingame changelog lists a "BA feature merge release", without offering any details. Please note from the guidelines: "mutators should be used by projects that incorporate changes found in new releases of their parent game ... Forks should be used by projects that tend not to incorporate innovations found in new releases of their parent game."

The changelog could also be interpreted as intentionally insulting to BAs devs ("Changed MOD name to avoid tears and excuses from nerds wanting to ban it"), which should be avoided.

In short, whilst having a name that does not include "Balanced Annihilation" is a step in the right direction, it looks as though nothing else has been done. I can't see evidence of any serious attempt to follow https://springrts.com/wiki/Licenses_Forking_Mutators. As a result, the answer to this request remains: no. Please address the issues above, and follow the rest of the guidelines.

In view of the multiple previous warnings, which have continued to be ignored -- without BAs endorsement, we will need to see that the forking/mutator guidelines are being followed in good faith for a significant period of time before the game is given access to a forked copy of BAs data.
quakeman2

Post by quakeman2 »

Yes i will change artwork stuff of course, but being an employed person i cant waste my time to work on stuff if i'm not sure i will get the database clone in the end. ( considering this OPENSOURCE and FREE game has more rules than many proprietary games )
So give me a break!.... and clone this database and as i asked and i will change that nonsense stuff.

By the way.. YES it has version numbering because it's meant to be presented as a BA version having just the balancement and some small features so the versioning number is correct....... what's wrong with that?
You know like Ubuntu 16.04 and Kubuntu 16.04 and Lubuntu, Xubuntu, etc..... ( It's normal in OpenSource projects :o )
And the example i did is also from a company having some proprietary licenses :D (and a world wide used operating system)

Looking forward to see a wise response to this.

Mando
(Senior StringRTS Hero)
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Nothing here is up for debate - see the above post and https://springrts.com/wiki/Licenses_Forking_Mutators for what is required.
quakeman2

Post by quakeman2 »

Silentwings wrote:Nothing here is up for debate
Feels nice to be part of a community where you can feel free to discuss. :D

Hopely someday they will keep MOD devs out of forum and TS database admin just to avoid these TINY conflicts of interests.
And this message mainly refers to the engine devs that are developing for a game dying more and more everyday due to all these insane rules that freezed any initiative to create something new or freely try new experimentations.
Apparently the 1/3 of players actively playing atm compared to few months ago, isn't enough to ring a bell.

I will skip my personal comments about these admins for politeness reasons and go forward xD

I wanted to relieve the players on this community that you are not alone.
Of course before writing this post Mando had already a plan B

We will get out together from these "Dark ages of Floris"

This is Mando. If you are listening to this..... you are the resistance!
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

What about looking at the same guidelines from the point of view of Total Annihilation: of which BA is also a fork. We are using their artwork, unit names, concept, etc and I'm not sure anyone has asked them either.

I guess BA is itself a fork from Absolute Annihilation, which also retains the Annihilation part in the name.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

You can find a link to the way OTA content is handled within the FAQ (it is part of the forum rules, and age old). The guidelines do say at the top that they refer only to goings on within the Spring community, also they were not intended to be back-dated ;)

Return to “SPADS AutoHost”