Improve default widgets list

A place for offers of Bounties and discussion of funded proposals.
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

I love widgets. I have tons of them.
Hard to turn off/on or find some widget ingame.

The task is:
"modify selector.lua, so it allows to filter by a string without using chilli."

Details:
1) Add "filter" text field and clear button near it
2) Show divider (separator) between widgets included in the game and widgets installed by user
3) (Optional) Add ability to show only game or user widgets

I offer 50$ for this work. (only if change included in spring engine)

I know that 50$ is not much, but I am from Russia)) we have some issues with eco currently))
So maybe someone else can donate some money too :-)

I know it's possible to implement game specific widget manager but I think if these changes will be included in engine many games will benefit from this.

Just a simplest illustration what I mean:
widgets_proposal.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jamerlan on 14 Jan 2015, 06:20, edited 2 times in total.
Super Mario

Re: Improve default widgets list

Post by Super Mario »

And this can't be resolve by using a gadget because????
jamerlan

Post by jamerlan »

Super Mario wrote:And this can't be resolve by using a gadget because????
Why not improve default one? Just a little changes and it will be much more user friendly
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

There are no AllGameSpanning Gadgets? And by its very nature, Gadgets

Its a valid Request- and it should be taken seriously. In other words - i think i can do this with a widget.. :)

Also default one is written in c++ - so lots of comitment issues with the devs and tentacle wrestling with git .. theres a reason so many people void this :)
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

jamerlan wrote:
Super Mario wrote:And this can't be resolve by using a gadget because????
Why not improve default one? Just a little changes and it will be much more user friendly
There is no reason to modify the engine, if it can be easily resolve by using a gadget/widget. The burden of proof is on you to show that this can't be revolve by using a widget or gadget.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Because its a widget! It's here https://github.com/spring/spring/blob/d ... lector.lua. Probably all of you are capable of doing this yourselves :P
jamerlan

Post by jamerlan »

[comment is outdated]
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Silentwings wrote:
Because its a widget! It's here https://github.com/spring/spring/blob/d ... lector.lua. Probably all of you are capable of doing this yourselves :P
:(

I just typed for an hour frentically to dev this thing.. i think hatred is the right word.
Couldnt you post the "Simpsons did it" aka "jk did it" of springearlier?
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

the default widget doesn't contain a filter?! i'm confused now... if i understood it right i would rephrase it to:

"modify https://github.com/spring/spring/blob/d ... lector.lua, so it allows to filter by a string without using chilli."

?!
gajop

Post by gajop »

I don't think it's worth it if you require that it becomes a part of the engine (cannot use chili then). It's not going to look as good and wouldn't be able to extend it by the game -> most games will end up overriding it anyhow.

A games independent one would be far better, but don't we already have that?
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

gajop wrote:A games independent one would be far better, but don't we already have that?
none with a filter, or do we? if so, please link to the file please!
jamerlan

Post by jamerlan »

abma wrote:the default widget doesn't contain a filter?! i'm confused now... if i understood it right i would rephrase it to:
"modify https://github.com/spring/spring/blob/d ... lector.lua, so it allows to filter by a string without using chilli."
?!
Yes, thanks! I updated the description of this "task". My english is not very good ;-)
XTA Developer

Post by 8611 »

Sounds like good idea.
To clarify on 2+3:
Your picture shows game-widgets at top, then comes a divider then come the player's widgets.
Is it "absolutely nessecary" that it looks like this or just proposal? Maybe not notice that a seperation from game-widgets to player's widget already exists: The game-widgets are all sorted to top and have white stars left and right to their names *like this*
Thanks to the sorting, if you want to see only one kind of widget then you can just scroll up or down.
I am just asking because if maybe your actual wish is "I want to tell game and player widgets apart" then you can already do that without money.

A new selector.lua can be placed in LuaUI\ folder (overwrite default file), from functional side it does not have to be included in engine. (unless you want that for other reasons)
jamerlan

Post by jamerlan »

8611 wrote:Is it "absolutely nessecary" that it looks like this or just proposal? Maybe not notice that a seperation from game-widgets to player's widget already exists: The game-widgets are all sorted to top and have white stars left and right to their names *like this*
Thank you! I really did not notice these asterisks! :-D I know about sorting but it was still hard to find: where is the beginning of the "Custom" widgets list. Probably it's just my personal fail then :-D

But still would be cool if someone will make it more intuitive
gajop

Post by gajop »

abma wrote:
gajop wrote:A games independent one would be far better, but don't we already have that?
Uh I wouldn't know that really (I doubt it), but I've seen pretty decent widget selectors, such as the ZK one: https://github.com/ZeroK-RTS/Zero-K/blo ... lector.lua, and BAR probably has something similar.
Adding a filter (using chili's editbox) to any of those would be trivial, and I think better than the engine-only choice. We'd just need to make sure it's game-agnostic.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

gajop wrote:
abma wrote:
Uh I wouldn't know that really (I doubt it), but I've seen pretty decent widget selectors, such as the ZK one: https://github.com/ZeroK-RTS/Zero-K/blo ... lector.lua, and BAR probably has something similar.
Adding a filter (using chili's editbox) to any of those would be trivial, and I think better than the engine-only choice. We'd just need to make sure it's game-agnostic.
Which it is not if it's using chili.

I second this request, the default selector.lua is okay but it really would need one apple type of filter function. The BAR one makes the game crash.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

BAR probably has something similar.
Adding a filter (using chili's editbox) to any of those would be trivial,
The BAR one does have a filter, although it's built into the central menu and is not easily re-usable outside of BAR. But yes, trivial to implement in any chili widget handler.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

The widgets should be sorted alphabetically. Check boxes "Game widgets" and "User widgets" is just a filter, doesn't switch anything on or off.
widet_list.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gajop

Post by gajop »

dansan wrote:The widgets should be sorted alphabetically.
Arguments can be made that they should be grouped by type first. (ZK's widget selector does that iirc)
dansan wrote: Check boxes "Game widgets" and "User widgets" is just a filter, doesn't switch anything on or off.
If you need to explain that, maybe it's better for it to be "Show game widgets" or similar.

EDIT: Also "defaults" (which I assume is "reset to defaults") looks really out of place there. Maybe put it down in a smaller button.. or something else entirely
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

gajop wrote:
dansan wrote:The widgets should be sorted alphabetically.
Arguments can be made that they should be grouped by type first. (ZK's widget selector does that iirc)
So then make the argument please...

Return to “Bounty Offers”