Quick question for the engine devs.

A place for offers of Bounties and discussion of funded proposals.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

Have you guys consider crowdsourcing such as patreon, indigogo etc, for the development of the engine? Synfig, used to do this, and the made significant changes because of this.
Jazcash

Re: Quick question for the engine devs.

Post by Jazcash »

Crowdsourcing for the development of a game that would use the Spring Engine - Fine.

Crowdsourcing for the continuation of the engine development itself - What?
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

Jazcash wrote: Crowdsourcing for the continuation of the engine development itself - What?
Ah, bad wording, I meant "Faster development".
smoth

Post by smoth »

Go read the mythical man month and come back. However, since you once again are bouncing around with random half thought out ideas and I don't believe you will ever do that... Throwing resources at things does not always improve progress!
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

smoth wrote:Go read the mythical man month and come back. However, since you once again are bouncing around with random half thought out ideas and I don't believe you will ever do that... Throwing resources at things does not always improve progress!
I never anything said about "throwing resources at things" nor throwing programmers at the project as your implying. Instead of projecting, why not ask for clarification next time and little less insulting next time? Where did you get the idea in the in the first place?
You don't know anything about me, quit acting like that you do.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Well the spring engine is currently in state of reorganisation, meaning code is mainly refactored, to do stuff it did before, while beeing easier readable, faster and less prone to break.

Such things dont make for spectacular funding campaigns.

Spring applied for Googles Summer Code Camp and was rejected
(In parts due to community hostility- i wonder where that did come from..)
and a lack of popularity
(Those Logicloopers at G cant eat a damn breakfast, without facing off a chicken-Hun dilema) so the free workforce went to Battle of Wesnoth.

Spring has some features that its needing for quite a while now:
  • Mesh-Deformation
    Improved Unit-Physics
    A SFX editor
    Infrastructure Update (Not the Lobbys, but the whole Server blowing up once community doubles lemas.)
and that are just the things that come to my mind. But that s another shoe with engine development- half of the funding would be diverted into "tools" where the player cant immediately see the outcome - so corruption i scream..
gajop

Post by gajop »

@PicassoCT:
Those claims seem made up..

The reason GSOC failed was because Spring didn't prepare for it as well. We only really applied one year iirc.

And regarding those features, I can only agree with the mesh deformations. Otherwise it's really up to the specific project/person in determining what they 'need'.

@OP
It would be best to fund a specific game - and through it do some engine development. Making a kickstarter for an 'engine' is unlikely to work as it's not very attractive.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Bountysourcing some features could work in my humble opinion.

We could actually just try: make a pool for samesaid mesh deformations which everyone wants, and then see what happens if everyone drops $10 or so.

First step would be though to get someone into the "team": https://www.bountysource.com/teams/spri ... ids=287377
smoth

Post by smoth »

if we could get support for mesh deformation, not some alternate animation system that cannot use code, not inverse kinematics or ragdoll or whatever other wierd shit, just focus on that I would put in around 200$ towards it.
gajop

Post by gajop »

smoth

Post by smoth »

yeah i know and the lack of support for a modern FBX format really pisses me off, but what are you going to do, assimp is out of date(not the engine version, the actually latest assimp).
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

licho, who received the money seems to have no interest in doing so.

http://zero-k.info/Contributions

-> ~2000 EUR should be already available for that

also he still receives donations for the spring server but it runs on a host which is for "free". (thanks dansan!)

also the bitcoin wallet contains ~6 Bitcoins which are arround 1.2K EURO.
http://bitref.com/1Fkh88PPvCYgZxR2gfEGPxNQJ5hZxqVFhn

-> 3200 EUR should be available for paying a dev.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

or - hear me out- we raise 100 k - and hire a gang of mercynaries who kidnaps a bunch of devs for us. All you can code for all you can feed for quite a while ! ;)
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Would be nice if spring's active and powerful people (e.g. anyone with direct commit access) would show their faces on bountysource at least to make known that it's a thing.
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

Please use these bitcoin addresses for Spring donations:
  • 12WLzbiRjT52satsr8hT2WyYQpP9sWxSQB
  • 1FDtkh5w8BpD65agSXevLUMeuR5kLMBA2j
Last edited by Kloot on 20 Jan 2015, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

...Why bitcoin?
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Bountysource was researched as possible staging platform.
Issues were found:

1) Backers voting on whether a Claim is to be satisfied is unanimous, the horror - instantaneous! Any troll who donated $1 gets a veto right.

2) There's a 10% tax on any money leaving their system, which means that if you donate $100 and the bounty is not claimed, you can withdraw 90$.
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

Super Mario wrote:patreon, indigogo
These inevitably lead to issues like "who takes what percentage for which work".

IMO it is better to donate directly to individual developers whose reputation you trust.
Super Mario wrote:...Why bitcoin?
Because it lets everyone check how much has been donated and there are no service costs.

If anyone really wanted to make a donation the old-fashioned way (and jump through the hoops of international money transfer), that could be arranged via PM.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Another Spring dev using Bitcoin..
I've send 4690 bits to Kloot, more then a whole Euro. :-) I got these particular bitcoin bits from the Armoury project for trying out their client at the Bitcoin conference back in May.

Now I do want something in return, can you PM an e-mail address where I can mail you my list of features I would like you to implement? I have some idea's about bitcoin integration.. been mailing Licho about it but he is smart and asked if I was planning to implement it myself.. :lol:

Just kidding, but I do would like to have your e-mail address.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Personally I would avoid bitcoin for anything but transactions as it doesn't give a clear idea how much is being donated to which feature, and what's being produced by the money.
It kinda feels like donating blindly.

Return to “Bounty Offers”