PzSl suggestion thread

PzSl suggestion thread

100% composite steel

Moderators: Karl, Moderators, Content Developer

Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

PzSl suggestion thread

Post by Karl »

Before you can criticize my game I want your phone contact. Just kidding no really.

Just here for dumping my ideas or maybe yours

to do:

Panzer Elite:
needs:
- Power Generator L1
- Metal Extractor L2
- APS-Hardkill vehicles/defense turrets
- Humvee with Active Protection System
- Tower with APS
- Different faction name

(optional, but a few more units wont hurt I guess)
some few more units to add:
- Challenger 1 (HT 2, T2)
- M60A3 Patton (MHT 3, T1)
- Leopard 2A4 on M60A3 chassis (HT 3, T1)
- Leopard 2A4 defensive turret with 3 barrels (HCT 1, T2)
- BMP IFV (T.05)
-7.92x51mm MG Truck (T0.5)
-Light Gun/Rocket Artillery Truck (T0.5)

Walkers:
needs: more units, some few artillery units and buildings too and my guts
blob shield walkers/turrets

General:
Find a better way of applying nicer texture via lazy/baking method, remodel some few stuff, balance crap and polishing some effects Remodel/Modify existing units with modified KaiserJ Lego 2 texture atlas.

have you seen my pocket knife[?]
Anarchid

Re: PzSl suggestion thread

Post by Anarchid »

Find a better way of applying nicer texture via lazy/baking method, remodel some few stuff, balance crap and polishing some effects
There's a branch of Blender out that has Cycles Bake <3
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

hmm yeah I might look further to it, through I prefer 3DS Max way as it is basically just like you would apply a texture from a (game name) map editor,
tried to do that last time on my HT1 but for some reason 3DS max shitted itself
meh.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

basically just like you would apply a texture from a (game name) map editor,
Like click to fill? Or like airbrushing model in 3d?
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

yes basically click to fill - you select a face and 1 of the sub materials then drag&drop to the face you want to have this texture applied
then select the faces use the UVW map -> Gizmo and you can well mess around with the texture like scaling/moving etc.

http://imgur.com/a/DeRJf#0

related
http://www.cgrats.com/apply-decals-usin ... e-map.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpkpJ9Csrkk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dehYAtTjZeg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6gV4Gp3GDM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wml2KDJcmBc

through I would rather prefer the way where you can see the result immediately how it would look like when it is baked to a single texture for its use like on Spring.
Oh well I would need to dig around more for that or trying out a few times
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

I've recently became a fan of texture painting in 3d.

Kinda like this (in blender, but i'm sure max has something similar; also guy in that vid isn't making a great job out of it, but it kinda shows off how it works).

I'll probably never go back now.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Anarchid wrote:I've recently became a fan of texture painting in 3d
I have made some 2-3 models using that variant for applying textures but I dont like the overall workflow of it,

Well but I guess one should rather use things how he sees it fits instead of getting dictated how to do it so yeah...
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

jks chrome shadder
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

so after about 2~ hours of fucking around in 3DS max I got the result I wanted

In 3ds max
I needed for that only 3! sub-materials. (thanks to UVW map and unwrap UVW which lets me even copy!) Which means for each face I can conveniently move/rotate/scaling each face individually

or combined via UVW map, so but to keep things a bit clear I always collapse the UVW map which has it's disadvance I can't copy the way it UVW maps it to other faces (well I had to do that manually and using Gizmo it doesnt got somewhere its number written here which I can copy so it doesnt matter)
+I can save as it is witouth having to delete material for having it properly exported and baked

if I would have try to do that similiar in blender I would need much more materials/texture for having similar result! For example on that "big" cube with its smaller cube on it I would need for each face extra material and/or texture in 3ds max and to bake it properly I would have to keep 2 blender files for it
maybe there is a bit better way to do this but that is how I do it atm.

Admitted through Blender has a better file-browser system where for finding files or saving files which I can just copy&paste the adress bar,

unlike in 3DS max where they got that HORRIBLE FUCKING small file-browser system!
Which basically forces me to browser around the damn directoy everytime just to either save it or using that file because it wont let me copy&paste that damn shit.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

For example on that "big" cube with its smaller cube on it I would need for each face extra material and/or texture in 3ds max and to bake it properly I would have to keep 2 blender files for it
maybe there is a bit better way to do this but that is how I do it atm.
Unsure if i really understand what you're doing, but i think you don't really need a new material for every face in Blender. You can reuse same material between objects, and if an object has several materials, you can use any of those materials on any face you have.

This is just two materials, auto UV, and AO baked on top. The camo material is procedural (voronoi...), no image files were involved until baking created them.

Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Anarchid wrote: Unsure if i really understand what you're doing, but i think you don't really need a new material for every face in Blender. You can reuse same material between objects, and if an object has several materials, you can use any of those materials on any face you have.
Yeah you dont need new material for each faces, that wasn't my point
but you do need new materials and/or textures if you want the applied texture having offset or different scale for each faces, like I did with the cubes do you see those (dark-)grayish texture? they all use only 1 material/texture but each faces got different UV-scaling/offset due to UVW Map/Gizmo option

Return to “PanzerStahl”