Panzerstahl Developer

Re: PzSl Development Thread

Post by Karl »

on a unrelated note...
Spring 99 wrote: Performance increased
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Please avoid posts with no constructive content.

As it happens, many people did report an increase in performance from 98 -> 99, and again to -> 100.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Silentwings wrote:Please avoid posts with no constructive content.

As it happens, many people did report an increase in performance from 98 -> 99, and again to -> 100.
Let me see my PC is like this:
8GB RAM
i7 8 core 3.50GHz
Nvidia 570 GTX
Linux 64bit

And I have to use Spring/TA Overheard camera on a 800x600 or 1024x768 resolution with relative low settings to make it
playable and I cant use free camera anymore as it would hit my framerate too much. Big maps like "Epic (40x40)" is lagging when I use a large resolution like 1680x1024

At Map river valley 1944 v2 using robot defense mod with insane AI:
globallos on for testing purpose

I guess I need to save up money for a super-computer so that this engine becomes playable again for massive battles :roll:.

0.71-0.77b1 was much better in terms of performance.
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

I've messed up features drawing in 100.0, and River Valley is a 30x30 feature heavy map.
The latest dev version gives me 300% FPS on it, so you may want to try that.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Simple solution: don't play a 30x30 map with chickens. Most of your cpu is wasted on pathing hundreds/thousands of chickens running around parts of that map that are nowhere near you.

The only real fix for the issue is to rewrite the spawning mechanics of chickens (which I may one day do).
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

hokomoko wrote:I've messed up features drawing in 100.0
But it has also nothing to do with the LOD setting either? as I had to set for Unit LOD Distance 100 and Unit Icon Distance 117

hokomoko wrote: The latest dev version gives me 300% FPS on it, so you may want to try that.
Ok I will try it later.
Silentwings wrote:Simple solution: don't play a 30x30 map with chicken
So, is a 20x20 or smaller maps fine for such games then?
Silentwings wrote:Most of your cpu is wasted on pathing hundreds/thousands of chickens running around parts of that map that are nowhere near you.
Perhaps it would be better making those units in idle when it dint see a enemy in x range for a n minutes or occasionally wandering around
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

So, is a 20x20 or smaller maps fine for such games then?
Whatever works on your machine is "fine". I play on a laptop, so I'd use something smaller.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Development plan change for V0.1 Alpha:

Tech Year: Late 1950 - Early 1960
Tech Tier: T1 = battles will be fought mainly with light-medium AFV, IFV and APC types
Somewhat Common = Light Tanks, Light Artillery, heavy AFV/IFV

Faction: Panzer Elite (subject to name change)
Territory: Europa, former Soviet Union states
HQ: Estonia

Units:

Majority of the units will consist of old Russian hardware, some European stuff,
customized/specialized units and mix & match units.

And to be honest I dont like the design of all those hi-tech stuff either, they look ugly and 'flat' in my opinion.

Light Mortar Truck, BTR-60 , BMP-1 , UAZ , Mobile Radar Vehicle
T-55, M24 Chaffee and a few more I need to look up.

Defense: Typical stuff such as MG,Mortar, AA-Cannon/Missile, counter batterys etc...
For now walls like sandbags, fences etc cannot be crushed until the player units will actively avoid them.

Balance: definitive not C&C like where a bunch of MG units can rape a fucking tank.
Because appearntly a gun with smaller caliber and high fire rate can destroy pretty much anything,
might as well remove all vehicles and save for 3 APC vehicles (land,air and sea) with a MG weapon :roll:
and the rest consisting a bunch of infantry units.

The game will be made for PvE instead so that means fighting against either AI like maybe RAI or a invasion mode like robot defense.
All units will be useable even in higher tech tier battles, the older units will get to see upgraded version and even specialized versions.

Brainstorming a bit...
AI enemy theme:
-Aliens (bacterias in mars does not count)
-Mutants
-Failed Lab experiments
-things from Hell
-Zombies
-Vampires and Werewolves :°)
-Ghosts
-Monsters
-Bizarre things
-Something else

T-55
Attachments
screen00005.png
(1.2 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Panzer Elite HeadQuarter/FrontBase or whatever which is deployed via Cargo Helicopters/Trucks
Which replaces the old one, with the addition of a Homing Missile Launcher and a 12.7mm Machine Gun.

The big stick which is placed near the exit for vehicles is the Antenna.

hmm for chicken like gamemode I think I am going to add these soon:

Zombies (as cannon fodder and nothing else)
Low/Mid Tech Alien invasion

Scavenger Raiders:
Their vehicles are not professional made and are mainly made from scratch which are jury rigged and welded
together from scraps found around in junkyard or modified vehicles found somewhere else, a bit like mad max themed.

Textures:
I am going to throw away the Lego texture set and make my own atlas instead, I dont really like when my units are just bright-dark grayish
textured. Going for 2048x2048 for each faction or maybe 1024x1024 hmm.

But first I need to make all those textures set first which gets assembled into a atlas, maximum 32x32 for each tiles.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Getting that thing half way done took me longer than it should...
geh, but atleast something I guess.

Attachments
screen00011.png
(1.75 MiB) Not downloaded yet
code_man

Post by code_man »

Thats some armament for a building, nice work.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

code_man wrote:Thats some armament for a building, nice work.
Thanks.

Its not really that strong, just 2x MG guns and a Light Homing Missile Launcher
which should be sufficient against a small raiding party.
Karl wrote:on a unrelated note...
Spring 99 wrote: Performance increased
Nevermind, discard that. I had to install the newest proprietary drivers which gives me 1000 FPS on a large empty map.
Edit 1: The Nouveau driver was the issue all the time along as it gives me on Spring only about 30 FPS at all which is damn low for my moderate PC as I have a GTX 500 series instead of previous 9000 Nvidia series.

Alright made a poll for the enemy type that I should add later.
http://www.strawpoll.me/5620542

Strawpoll is now considered as ended. Further voting will be invalid.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Make a assymetric faction as enemy - tanks vs. taliban

Lots of Mines - and ocassionally massraid with infantry and welded together vehicles..
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

PicassoCT wrote:Make a assymetric faction as enemy - tanks vs. taliban

Lots of Mines - and ocassionally massraid with infantry and welded together vehicles..
You mean the taliban going to appear where they constantly spam land mines, zerg rush the player with infantry and scrap yard vehicles?
Hmm alright, it will be done at later development stage.

V-1000 Anti Ballistic Missile Launcher is there now, which replaces the MIM-104 PATRIOT

Attachments
V1000 ABML.png
(770.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

New Interceptor centre, which will be used to construct V-1000 ABML,
equipped with a Ballistic Missile detecting radar and a pop-up constructor

and testing how it looks like by using core_color.dds from BAR hmmm

Yeah I replace the MIM-104 Patriot soon, I was too lazy changing it, oh well.

The development will continue within 6 months.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Making a texture atlas for the Panzer Elite faction is going to take a while... Then I need to repeat the same process for the Alien faction as well.
Since I am intending 2048x2048 for each faction. But for now they will be using the KaiserJ set.

eh I think I should do a similar approach to KaiserJ and to that one BAR texture set instead... Making a 128-256 sized textures individually and then pasting it to the Atlas is way too time consuming...

Con Vehicle (T1) and MotorPool (T1), texture swap... I'm slowly getting there. Also I will be trashing all the COB/BOS stuff in favor for LUS(LUA). So I don't need to rely on Scriptor which is a NSA/Windows program.

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Windows, is in fact, NSA/Windows, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, NSA plus Windows. Windows is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another locked down component of a fully functioning NSA system made useful by the NSA corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by the government.
Many computer users run a modified version of the NSA system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of NSA which is widely used today is often called “Windows”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the NSA system, developed by the NSA.
There really is a Windows, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Windows is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Windows is normally used in combination with the NSA operating system: the whole system is basically NSA with Windows added, or NSA/Windows. All the so-called “Windows” versions are really versions of NSA/Windows.

Did I mentioned anything about the AI stuff? hmmm, oh yeah. It will be for now based on Shard AI/MFAI. Because appearntly right now the chicken AI thing sucks too much bio-electric performance.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Moderators are rule cucks.

bixnood.jpg
(330.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

1412624176.jpg
(163.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet

if this thread gets 100 jew pictures I will make another model.
Attachments
spring.png
spring.png (318.5 KiB) Viewed 14545 times
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Karl was permanently banned for the above. Closing this sub-forum.

Return to “PanzerStahl”